Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-06-2009, 11:41 AM   #1

KX and Infrared

So I'm looking for my first DSLR camera, although I have quite a bit of experience with film SLRs. I was looking at the new KX which I have heard is a good entry level camera. My concern is that I want to be able to do digital infrared photography without needing a conversion. So my question is will a infrared filter enough to take somewhat decent infrared photos? I realize that it will make the exposure times long and screw with aperture settings and so forth. But I have heard that some models like the K100 can take decent infrared photos without having a full conversion. I was wondering if the same was true for the KX or if it has too strong of an internal Infrared filter (the kind that takes infrared out) for this to work?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

10-06-2009, 01:05 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Afraid you`d have to wait for someone with right filters to get the camera and try it. Any news on when it hits the shelves?
10-06-2009, 09:45 PM   #3

Original Poster
This is the only time infrared comes up in the specs under capture modes; custom image modes, I however don't have a clue as to what that actually means.

"Monochrome mode includes adjustment for film filter effects (green, yellow, orange, red, magenta, blue, cyan, infrared)"

The most I've heard is mid-october.
10-07-2009, 10:40 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The KX work fine with infrared film, as it does not have an internal LED that can fog film.

Try to find a lens that has an infrared focus marker. It will make it easier to get a good image.

The K-x on the otherhand, has within its software, an adjustment filter that simulates infrared.

To shoot true infrared with the K-x you wil need a dark red filter (ie Hoya R72), and then make some post process adjustments.

How the K-x does has yet to be seen.

10-08-2009, 01:37 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I suppose the OP mean the K-x (not KX which is a 1970's film camera and an excellent such).

I will probably work with an infrared filter and tripod, but you need to find someone who have actually done it to find out how well it work. One thing is safer. The design of the kit zoom (18-55mm) has been listed as a lens that work well for infrared.