Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-06-2009, 05:02 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
didnt think the K20 did this...

Flickr: Pentax In-camera HDR

this guy says the K20 does in camera HDR - he says its in the manual on pg. 171...(which is just a page about playback Fn menu settings???)

dont know what this dude is talking about - but i didnt think the K20 did HDR in camera - just thought the K7 did it...anyone??

10-06-2009, 05:51 PM   #2
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

It's not true HDR. It's an HDR-like PP effect that doesn't quite make the cut IMO.
See the comments under the post about how to do HDR in camera.

True HDR requires multiple images at different exposures combined to bring all details within acceptable dynamic range that can be seen in one image. The K20D does not offer this - the HDR is done on one JPG image, and if you compare what the K20D does with what the K-7 does - it's like chalk and cheese...
10-06-2009, 06:43 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Mmmmm--chalk & cheese!
10-06-2009, 07:37 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

The k20 has a filter that gives a jpeg an hdr like look. That's it. It is not hdr in any sense, just a look of it.

10-07-2009, 06:17 AM   #5
Site Supporter

There is an option for expanded dynamic range. Not true HDR.
10-07-2009, 06:34 AM   #6

Original Poster
yeah i have used all possible combinations to do it in camera but the images are nowhere near as good as when you do 3-5 exposures. i thought the dude was off his nut a little for saying it -
10-07-2009, 09:43 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by insulinguy Quote
yeah i have used all possible combinations to do it in camera but the images are nowhere near as good as when you do 3-5 exposures. i thought the dude was off his nut a little for saying it -
Have you tried using the K20D's expanded DR with a multiple exposure? If the two work together, you may be able to actually get a true HDRI in camera with the K20D. I would try it, but at this point, I only have a K10D which does not have expanded DR. What I have noticed is for the K10D and K20D sensors, the lower the ISO the better the DR. Using multiple exposure lowers the ISO by dividing the set ISO by the number of shots making up the multiple exposure. Although I have seen no studies on this, I would suspect that multiple exposure shots would have a wider DR.