Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-06-2009, 07:03 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
K-7 resolution

Hi All,

I understand larger resolution will be harder to get a sharp image, which is why I found I can get "sharper" image in 6 MP than 14 MP. I think the sensor behaves differently when using different resolution. So a 6 MP picture is different than a 14 MP-raw (or jpg) converted 6 MP (in camera conversion). Am I right?

So what resolution do you usually use? I am using 14 MP for not wasting any of the sensor power, but with 2 stars since 3 stars would be too large file size for me. I am considering a change. What do you suggest?

Many thanks,
Tony

10-06-2009, 07:31 PM   #2
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Tony, it's all personal choice, and I wouldn't be overly fussed about 14Mp being discernibly less sharp than 6Mp, because IMO it really isn't.

I've shot with 6Mp, 10Mp and 14Mp cams and at 100% I am hard pressed to know which camera took which shot. Where it may get more complicated is at high-ISO, but I won't get into that debate.

All I know is I shoot RAW with my K20D and K10D and all pixels on each sensor are sharp.
10-06-2009, 08:32 PM   #3
Pentaxian

You don't get sharper images at 6MP than 14MP. The only reason it might *appear* that way at first is that you're tempted to view the 14MP image much larger than the 6MP image (eg, by viewing both at "100%", which is much larger or 14MP than for 6MP). But viewed at the same size, there would no real life situations where a 14MP image would be less sharp (unless of course you used a less sharp lens or didn't focus well).
10-06-2009, 08:49 PM   #4
Pentaxian

the K-7 has a much harder AA filter than the K10 does. So technically, the K-10 can resolve slightly more fine detail at the per-pixel level, but the overall resolution is lower..The K-7 has more pixels but they resolve less fine detail due to the AA filter.

The practical upshot of this is that K-7 is less vulnerable to moire which has made a mess of some portraits I have taken in the past. I have tested this with the FA77 LTD at f/4, tripod mounted with Elinchrom studio flash units.

10-06-2009, 09:15 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I guess you are tying to compare different MP pictures on the computer or on the web, I guess below link will enlighten you about MP issue.

Re: Pentax K200D and K20D printing up to A1 size: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Also diffraction effects your resolution tremendously:

Diffraction Limited Photography: Pixel Size, Aperture and Airy Disks
10-06-2009, 10:26 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks, Digitalis,

That sounds very reasonable.

Cheers,
Tony
10-07-2009, 01:58 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
too large a file 2 star vs 3 star? Buy more hard drive space! Or more sd cards. They are too cheap not to.

When decoded from jpg into memory both photos take the same amount of space. (ie when the file is open)
10-07-2009, 02:24 AM   #8
Veteran Member

The only advantage to use 10mp or 6 is if we need to go really up on iso, I'm right ?

10-07-2009, 04:48 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by netuser Quote
The only advantage to use 10mp or 6 is if we need to go really up on iso, I'm right ?
You're wrong. A 6meg. sensor has larger photosites than a 14meg. The larger pixels are more efficient at gathering light than the smaller pixels. Using a 14meg sensor at 6meg doesn't change the size of the pixels, it just tells the processor to use some of those pixels. All the pixels are still gathering light, it's just that some are ignored to save space memory space.
10-07-2009, 05:19 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by flyer Quote
You're wrong. A 6meg. sensor has larger photosites than a 14meg. The larger pixels are more efficient at gathering light than the smaller pixels. Using a 14meg sensor at 6meg doesn't change the size of the pixels, it just tells the processor to use some of those pixels. All the pixels are still gathering light, it's just that some are ignored to save space memory space.
Got it. Thanks
10-07-2009, 12:07 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fulcrumx29 Quote
Hi All,

I understand larger resolution will be harder to get a sharp image, which is why I found I can get "sharper" image in 6 MP than 14 MP. I think the sensor behaves differently when using different resolution. So a 6 MP picture is different than a 14 MP-raw (or jpg) converted 6 MP (in camera conversion). Am I right?

So what resolution do you usually use? I am using 14 MP for not wasting any of the sensor power, but with 2 stars since 3 stars would be too large file size for me. I am considering a change. What do you suggest?

Many thanks,
Tony
not really. at the same small print size, a 6MP and 14MP resolution photo would look the same. you will only see the real difference if you start printing in large prints like billboards and posters. the increased number in pixels would give more precise definition of the image at higher print resolutions. that means it would be highly unlikely that a 6MP image would appear sharper whether in small or large prints.
10-07-2009, 02:25 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by flyer Quote
Actually, I wonder if they're simply *ignored*, or downscaled just like you might do in PP? not sure how you'd test that.

If it really is throwing away pixels, that *would* mean you'd get worse performance. But if it's using them all then downscaling, that should have no net effect on noise. Viewed at the same size, a 14MP picture and a 6MP picture should be roughly the same in terms of noise if the overall sensor size is the same. The greater per pixel noise you get from smaller pixels on the 14MP camera is a problem only if you view the images at 100% - which is to say, if you try viewing the image larger. And if you tried viewing the 6Mp that large, it wouldn't look so hot, either.