Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-07-2009, 10:25 AM   #1

K10D or K-X?

This is my first DSLR, and I want it to be a good performer for a long time. I am leaning toward the k-x mostly because of video and high ISO performance. Is there any reason besides weather sealing and better viewfinder that I should get the k10d? I am 14 and wanting to get more serious about photography.

10-07-2009, 10:35 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Wish I could have been more serious at your age...got a 2MP camera back then instead since digital just became affordable

Anyway, we have kinda discussed this here https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/73985-k10d-k-x-why-not.html but I only know about it because I participated in it

At the moment, I've held off on the K-x since I think my hands are too big for it. I want smaller but the K-x may be too small. Still looks like a great camera in any case.

You need to decide if the pros of the K-x outweigh cons (viewfinder, sealing, etc). If you want to use manual focus lenses, for example, the pentaprism finder of the K10D is better. Those kind of things.

Welcome
10-07-2009, 11:42 AM   #3
Site Supporter

I started with the K200D. My first DSLR. That was a great camera. I found that after about 6 months, I never turned the mode dial off of M. The camera was full of these other modes, like sports, macro and stuff, but they didn't do anything I couldn't do myself in M mode. The trouble I had was quickly changing settings.

With only one dial for exposure and aperture, I wasted a few seconds doing one at a time. Not too bad and I could deal with it. What really irked me was having to change the exposure mode from spot to center weighted or matrix by going through the menu. Or changing the focus mode from af-s to af-s through the menu. I had to have those external controls. Or even changing the ISO required going through the menu. I was missing shots that I should have gotten because it was an entry level dslr and didn't have those options.

I absolutely love my new k20d and can't really think of anything I would like added. Changing exposure modes is as easy as flicking a switch. Changing focus modes too. ISO can be changed without even taking my eye off the viewfinder.

I don't know how the K-X works but I believe the K10d is similar to the K20d. The K-X is entry level and more than likely will have the same issues that my k200d had. They won't be much of a problem at first because you aren't used to any other camera. But sooner than later, you might see some of the entry level "features" on the K-X as more of a hindrance than anything else.

If you are looking for a camera to last you a while, I don't recommend an entry level one.
10-07-2009, 04:22 PM   #4
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K-x will be quite a little performer.
The K10D is a robust workhorse that suits an enthusiast looking for controls at the tip of his/her fingers.
You won't go wrong with either, but you should look at the list of features for each and decide which you prefer to have.
If video is really what you're after then obviously the K10D isn't right for you.

10-07-2009, 05:22 PM   #5
Veteran Member

At the heart of any digital camera is the sensor and the quality of images. So between the K10D and K-x, the obvious choice in my opinion is the K-x.
It may be simpler features wise, but it has video. Anyway I see little economic benefit in buying a used discontinued camera with god knows what kind of shutter count when one can get a newer camera with more features for the price.
10-08-2009, 09:13 AM   #6
Site Supporter

i changed my k10 for a k2000 and honestly, i don't miss any of the extra controls on my k10.
i don't miss the AF point confirmation light, top LCD, exposure mode lever, raw button, twin wheels. but that's just me because i normally shoot in Av.

yes, somethings are a pain to adjust because there are no dedicated buttons or switches, but that depends on what you shoot.

what i miss in the k10 are the orientation sensor, weather sealing (sometimes it rains here )

i absolutely enjoy the much better AF and high ISO pictures of the k2000 over the k10.

so if i were to make a choice today, i'd take the K-x in a heartbeat over the k10
10-08-2009, 01:25 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies you guys. I as thinking about what enoeske was saying, that if I'm looking for a long-term camera I shouldn't go for an entry-level model. I was thinking the exact same thing, but why not? that's another of my questions. I was sold on the k2000 before the k-x came out, but that's because I had a shot at a double-lens kit for $529. Anyway, I think the k-x has some superior specs that I wouldn't be able to do without (predominantly high ISO performance). I'm very glad that the k-x has a lot more dedicated buttons on the body than the k2000 does, even if they are on the arrow buttons. the ISO button will be very nice, and the fact that you can hold down the button on the top to adjust aperture. Anyway, is there a practical reason that I should not get an entry-level model if I want long-term performance? By the way, the k-x offers almost as many controls on the body as the k10d.
10-08-2009, 01:29 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by phhoootogeek Quote
Thanks for the replies you guys. I as thinking about what enoeske was saying, that if I'm looking for a long-term camera I shouldn't go for an entry-level model. I was thinking the exact same thing, but why not? that's another of my questions. I was sold on the k2000 before the k-x came out, but that's because I had a shot at a double-lens kit for $529. Anyway, I think the k-x has some superior specs that I wouldn't be able to do without (predominantly high ISO performance). I'm very glad that the k-x has a lot more dedicated buttons on the body than the k2000 does, even if they are on the arrow buttons. the ISO button will be very nice, and the fact that you can hold down the button on the top to adjust aperture. Anyway, is there a practical reason that I should not get an entry-level model if I want long-term performance? By the way, the k-x offers almost as many controls on the body as the k10d.
The arrow buttons, and pretty much all of the other buttons are the same on the K-x as K2000.

The main difference between entry level and not is features. Long-term performance depends on if you need those extra features, IQ is a wash.

10-08-2009, 02:32 PM   #9

Original Poster
I'm leaning more and more toward the k-x.
10-18-2009, 07:27 PM   #10

Photos: Albums
No thats what I call pertinent input!