Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-08-2009, 11:14 AM   #1

Sharpness VS Fine-Sharpness in k20d

What the difference between the two? The manual doesn't shed much light into it. I can't differentiate them visibly either.

10-09-2009, 11:17 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Since there's been no answer:

You might try searching for the term "fine sharpness' in these forums and/or on dpreview. There has been some discussion with some good answers (I don't use either, since I shoot RAW). I was also thinking this post probably belongs in DSLR discussion, and am moving it to see if it gets more response there.
10-09-2009, 11:20 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
DPReview has a good explanation:

Pentax K20D Review: 15. Features: Digital Photography Review

In short, fine sharpness will look sharper but you'll see the halos easier.
10-09-2009, 11:21 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Fine sharpness also seems to accentuate high-ISO noise more than "regular" sharpness, at least in my experience with the K-7.

10-09-2009, 09:08 PM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by RBellavance Quote
Fine sharpness also seems to accentuate high-ISO noise more than "regular" sharpness, at least in my experience with the K-7.
@RBellavance: Correct, that is because fine sharpness uses a fewer pixels to determine edges and noise are generally independent from pixel to pixel.

- Itai
10-10-2009, 05:32 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Eruditass Quote
DPReview has a good explanation:
Thanks for the link.

Looks like:
  1. Sharpness is an asymmetric unsharp mask with medium radius and strength as controlled by -4 to +4.
  2. Fine Sharpness is a standard unsharp mask with small radius and strength as controlled by -4 to +4.
An unsharp mask is adding a fraction of the difference between an image and a blurred one using Gaussian blur with given radius.

The asymmetric mask is only adding a fraction of the difference if it is negative.

Technically, both operations are Laplacian image operators and could be applied in combination. However, it looks like one option excludes the other.
10-10-2009, 08:19 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Thanks for the link.

Looks like:
  1. Sharpness is an asymmetric unsharp mask with medium radius and strength as controlled by -4 to +4.
  2. Fine Sharpness is a standard unsharp mask with small radius and strength as controlled by -4 to +4.
An unsharp mask is adding a fraction of the difference between an image and a blurred one using Gaussian blur with given radius.

The asymmetric mask is only adding a fraction of the difference if it is negative.

Technically, both operations are Laplacian image operators and could be applied in combination. However, it looks like one option excludes the other.

I have no idea what you just posted Falk! ? ?

10-11-2009, 10:58 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Raybo Quote
I have no idea what you just posted Falk!
I tried to explain how sharpening works because how else could one understand the difference between two different methods?

Therefore, Unsharp masking - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
may be a prerequisite to understand my post

10-12-2009, 11:41 AM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks. This is very complicated indeed. Is PPL/SilkyPix the only tool that provides this "assymetric" USM? I use RawTherapee sometime, and its options are USM (standard, I assume), and RL-Deconvolution (don't know anything about this one either).

Fine-sharpness does seem to accentuate noise more. Probably best avoided.