Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-09-2009, 01:41 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gfmucci Quote
Note the fine print on most of that stuff: Even though it may be in a box and have a warranty, it may have been a demo or have dings and nicks, etc.
Yes of course and the shipping seems rather stout as well.

An odd thing that has me puzzled when I think about it. They have the "original price" of the 360 flash as $340. I know I'm sure I got mine at Ritz about three years ago and there is no way I would have spent that much on the thing. I could be wrong but it seems mine was about a hundred less back then.

Just read the terms carefully. There are some value items there for someone.

(wonder if they charge $20 to ship two batteries? kwazy!)

10-09-2009, 01:45 PM   #17
Inactive Account

They are quoting MSRP. Makes the sale price look like a better deal. Look at the MSRP for the DBG-3 grip. And they are selling for $26.00. Typical retail smoke and mirrors.
10-09-2009, 06:05 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Strange - I got the DA 18-250mm from Clearance Center for $329. Clearance Center is the Ritz/Wolf outlet. Now it is $340 from Ritz? Whats with that? That is cheap for the BG3 though.
10-10-2009, 10:23 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteQuote:
In addition to the warranty, should any Clearance item prove to be defective upon delivery, please return it within ten days for an exchange or a refund if a replacement is not available
I took a chance and ordered the 18-250. If it turns out to be junked, problematic, and/or beat on, i'll return it for a refund.

10-14-2009, 06:51 AM   #20
Inactive Account

Well the BG-3 grip arrived. Brand new, still sealed in plastic and box. Obviously not a demo.
So I can't complain for $26.00.
10-14-2009, 10:07 AM   #21
Inactive Account

Never expected 18-250 a high quality
10-15-2009, 07:28 AM   #22

Original Poster
Update

Well, I got the 18-250 in yesterday.

The Pentax box looked like it had been around the block a couple times, but inside the documentation appeared to be unopened and the lens itself was unscathed.

The glass was clean, spotless, and the resulting images seemed fine. Not jaw dropping, mind you, but perfectly adequate. AF seemed to be a little slower than the 18-55 kit lens, but not a deal breaker.

This will be my walk-around lens for now. Too many missed shots having to switch from the 18-55 to the 50-200 kit lenses. Those I'll be selling, saving up some sheckles for DA* lenses.

Maybe I'll just plant another money tree in the back yard for a K-7 body. That way, I won't have to change lenses!

10-15-2009, 07:35 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rottie*Lover Quote
Maybe I'll just plant another money tree in the back yard for a K-7 body. That way, I won't have to change lenses!
Please cut me a branch so I can start my own!

Hope you'll post some shots from the 18-250.
10-15-2009, 08:42 AM   #24
Banned

I got a 55-300 'demo' from ritz's clearance center on eBay for 279. Absolutely perfect condition and a great transaction. I'd have no problem buying again.
10-16-2009, 11:38 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Got my 18-250 in yesterday. The box and the lens both look to be in mint condition. All paperwork and stuff included with it. If this was a demo, I am thinking it was on display behind a glass case and probably rarely ever got touched. I mounted it to the camera and played with it around the house. Everything seems to work just like it should.

Now, to sell my 18-55 ALII.
10-17-2009, 04:38 PM   #26
Forum Member

Some shots with Pentax 18-250mm @ ISO 800

Pentax noob here. Got my K200D refurb from Best Buy and 18-250mm zoom from Ritz a couple of days ago. Both looked new, although the body came in a generic white box.

Per request, here are links to three test snaps, taken handheld in fading evening light at ISO 800 with the K200D using Sensitivity Priority mode. SR worked pretty well.

The tele shot into the distance and the close-up of tiles are at max FL of 250 mm. The green leaves are at FL of 39 mm, mid-range for a kit lens. Multi-coated Hoya UV filter. Posted in the Gallery.

User Photo Gallery - Miscellaneous Photos

10-17-2009, 04:53 PM   #27

I got a 16-50mm DA* two days ago from Ritz clearance. The box was just a little worn but the lens was perfect, and all the documentation was inside. A great deal for $611!.
The DA* is performing flawlessly, everything seems to be ok. As far as the transaction, it was ok, no problems with Ritz online.
10-19-2009, 07:16 PM   #28

Original Poster
Gazelle-

Here's a link to some photos I posted on my Flickr site:

Flickr: rottie*lover's Photostream

The only thing that was done to all the photos via photoshop was cropping, blurring the backgrounds, and upping the exposure via ACR (using my manual Vivitar 285 flash...I need some more practice! ). Well, I kinda lied; one of the sheik photos with the basketball, the ball was desaturated with the sponge tool- it was just too much of a distraction.

Anyway, I was really pleased with the overall quality of the photos. The colors were good and overall detail was good too. Surprising to me, was that the lens was overall good at focusing, and I found it "hunting" only a few times. Most of the times the focusing was fast as well, even in the low light.

I'm definitely saying "goodbye" to the 18-55 and 50-200 kit lenses. I think this will be with me for awhile...

-Matt
10-20-2009, 02:41 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Just got my smc PENTAX DA 10-17mm F3.5-4.5 ED (IF) Fish-Eye from Ritz, and I'm satisfied. Shipping was prompt and reasonably quick, and the item - while obviously on clearance - was in satisfactory condition. Fo the lens itself, other than couple of fingerprints on the front element, it was otherwise clean and in good working order. Also, the lens included both front and rear caps, as well as the Pentax lens bag, serial number card, instruction manual and warranty leaflet - in other words, everything that should be there.

The original packaging was only a little scuffed up, and includes the UPC barcode. That means I'm eligible for Pentax's $90 rebate that came bundled with my K-7, since I have everything requested - original rebate form, copy of my sales receipt and the original UPC barcode. I checked before buying, and nowhere does the form say clearance items are ineligible. (Interestingly, the UPC code is a sticker over the top of another bar code on the box - I peeled the corner up and the bar code underneath has a different UPC number, although the item number and product name on the box are correct. Not too worried about that, though.)

Buying experience on the website was pleasant, and I didn't have to contact Ritz by phone or email at any point. My item shipped from Topeka, Kansas, where I'm guessing it was displayed and seldom touched.

All in all, I'm thrilled with this purchase. After shipping cost and a 3% discount code I found online, plus my $90 rebate, I'll have paid $326.81 for what's effectively a brand new lens with full warranty. All other things being equal, I saved $65 over the cheapest price I could find anywhere else, and $240 over the pricing at places like Adorama. I highly recommend jumping on this if there's any stock left and you're looking for a 10-17mm lens.