Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-09-2009, 10:13 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
24 fps, is the speed of the action as you are watching it on film. of course a 30fps would be better in fluidity of the action coz it involves more frames in the sequence. as per se, how cartoonists draw cartoons in different postures in multiple papers inorder to show action sequence. it is more like defining more of the action rather than skipping a few mini-actions within the frame sequence.

as far as IQ difference between the K-7 and the k-x, there were initial photo results that came from the K-x that were seem a lil less and lil soft on the detail side.

the metering would come in handy because it would define your images exposure and therefore affects IQ. difference on having an undexposed, overexposed, unbalanced setup. unless you would gamble with less metering zones.

for a person who likely wants to get more successful shots as compared to missed shots, I would certainly know what I need.

I just want to ask why would you get only an IQ based system if you can have both?

to make it more easier with your selection, you should probably concentrate on what and how much are you willing to invest on? of course, this would no longer be an issue of IQ performance but money.

10-10-2009, 02:45 AM   #17
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I think it should be an issue neither of IQ Performance nor Money but both... Thus, it becomes an issue of price-for-performance otherwise known as "bang for the buck."
10-10-2009, 09:11 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fuseboxx Quote
I think it should be an issue neither of IQ Performance nor Money but both... Thus, it becomes an issue of price-for-performance otherwise known as "bang for the buck."
that depends on your definition of bang for the buck. camera prices are not equated by IQ performance alone. you should know that.
10-10-2009, 09:52 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
the metering would come in handy because it would define your images exposure and therefore affects IQ. difference on having an undexposed, overexposed, unbalanced setup. unless you would gamble with less metering zones.
I'm a beginner sorry to ask these. what's the purpose of metering? how does it work?

10-10-2009, 11:42 AM   #20
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
that depends on your definition of bang for the buck. camera prices are not equated by IQ performance alone. you should know that.
Exactly. Which is why I explained my purpose for creating this thread and my preference of what I would want from the camera I upgrade to.

Like I said: The video capability intrigues me and I have little use for the higher-end features. The only question really is if the improvement in IQ/VQ from the K-7 is significant enough to chose it over the K-x considering their difference in price...
10-10-2009, 11:50 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Exactly. Which is why I explained my purpose for creating this thread and my preference of what I would want from the camera I upgrade to.

Like I said: The video capability intrigues me and I have little use for the higher-end features. The only question really is if the improvement in IQ/VQ from the K-7 is significant enough to chose it over the K-x considering their difference in price...
if I say YES, would you get the K-7?
10-10-2009, 01:19 PM   #22
Veteran Member

fuseboxx, I think the comparison between a higher-end K-7 and an entry-level k-x would put it at a stale. even if the comparison is only at the IQ level. it's just not equal right now until they produce a new entry level dslr after the k-x and a new high-end after the K-7. even I can't even consider the k-x equal or above the K20D or atleast the camera between the K20D and the K-7. there are just certain aspects that go above the K20D and aspects that go below it, be it IQ and features. honestly, I do categorize it just barely or slightly below the K20D. but it's not a real comparison. the more ideal comparison would be a k-m versus k-x where we could see a real difference in IQ as well as features. how about your K100D versus the k-x? well, definitely you know that it's time for your old K100D system to retire.

anyway, if you really want to be sure what you really want, I'd say you wait til the k-x comes out and try both systems (k-7 and k-x) and compare what you like best. at the end of the day, I don't think the IQ would be the deciding factor as to your choosing.

Last edited by Pentaxor; 10-10-2009 at 05:14 PM.
10-10-2009, 05:08 PM   #23
Veteran Member

I think the K-7 is in a different league than the K-x.

Different leagues don't always show on a spec sheet. For instance, both are capable to take award winning photos

In the end, it amounts to how much pleasure you are going to feel from either device. Depending on how demanding a person you are, the K-x or the K-7 will be the better fit. Test drive both and judge for yourself. Just like with buying a car.

What do people mean when they say that 24fps is already film quality, though?
Cinema footage was and still is produced in 24p.
It is upsampled to 59.94p for US DVDs and 50p for EU DVDs.
However, some HD capable devices like high end HDTVs are capable to play back all speeds without rate conversion and then, 30p will look better than 24p.

However, on a TV capable to play back 24p natively and 30p with rate conversion only, 24p would look superior. YMMV

BTW, the US has always rate converted 24p to 59.94p for DVDs which leads to subtle stutter due to 3:2 pull up. Americans never complained until Europeans and Japanese started to do so when 3:2 pull up arrived there via Bluray.

So, call it time rate peeping
10-11-2009, 09:02 AM   #24

For me, no brainer...I come from a Pentax SPII....I also have owned a DSLR in the past, which I sold all my stock in...it was a Canon 10D. Any of the cameras I'm about the mention would put the 10D to shame...and I was very happy with it.

I'm considering highly the K-x, even over the Canon 500D (Rebel T1i), and the Nikon D5000 for the fact that to me, feature wise they are basically all equal (I'm no professional, all 3 are far more capable than I am), but the lenses that come in a package are of much higher quality from Pentax. I know kit lenses should never be a deciding factor...but hey, dad of 4 boys here...I'm on a tight budget too and probably will have to be happy with these lenses for a looooong time.

I'm looking to buy the package with the 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AL and 55-300mm f/4-5.8 ED Lenses included. Just looking for the best price right now....Amazon is selling the whole package for $850.

That also said, I have a 50mm f/1.4 and a 135mm f/3.5. Both 42mm screw mount Super Takumars...I'm sure somewhere there is a converter that will allow me to use these manually on the new digital!

Thanks guys...love this forum!!!

Sam
10-11-2009, 09:05 AM   #25

Someone be honest....how big of an issue is this? (excerpt from dpreview):

"...and cannot display the selected AF-point in the viewfinder."

So how do you select your AF points? I'm assuming I just won't have the 11 dots in there and be able to scroll around the way I could with a Canon????

Someone please explain....I'm educated in the field, but ain't that educated!
10-12-2009, 03:06 PM   #26
Forum Member

AF-adjustment!

one other difference could be AF-adjustment, that K7 and K20d have; don't assume this to be present in KX, but maybe I'm wrong. Anybody an idea?t
10-13-2009, 03:06 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kasv Quote
one other difference could be AF-adjustment, that K7 and K20d have; don't assume this to be present in KX, but maybe I'm wrong. Anybody an idea?t
I do hope you are wrong here.
10-13-2009, 07:06 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ilya80 Quote
I do hope you are wrong here.
I wish the K-x would have lens-specific AF-adjustment, but I doubt it. K-m/K2000 didn't have it, only global AF adjustment through debug menu.
10-14-2009, 12:19 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Fuseboxx, do you have a clear idea of what you want to achieve with your photos? What exactly do you want in terms of image quality that you can't get with your K100D and a decent set of lenses? I know it's always tempting to think that a new camera is going to do wondrous things for your photography, but honestly have you fully thought through what the features of a new camera are going to mean in terms of the pictures you hope to produce?
I've just had an exhibition - got rave reviews, photo in the paper, sold several pics, heaps of positive feedback from other photographers - and guess what camera i used for all the 13x19 photos? Yep, my trusty ole K100DS. I'm not trying to dampen your enthusiasm, mate, but I don't like to see people go into upgrades without carefully considered reasons and without fully utilising what they already have first. If you're mainly interested in shooting a bit of video, maybe a dedicated movie camera might be a better investment. If you're hoping for sharper pics, perhaps your focus technique isn't what it could be. Maybe you want better colour rendition - do you have good quality lenses? I'm sure my point is clear - a new camera body won't necessarily produce better images for you. There may be other factors worth thinking about first.
10-14-2009, 01:12 AM   #30
Forum Member

exactly Wombat, it took me quite a while to add K20D to the K100Ds I already had. Part of the decision was the focus adjustment, as I wasn't too enthusiastic about the focus accuracy of the K100Ds, part was my hope for better high ISO, as my K100Ds shown banding at 3200; in fact, K20D did a worse job on that, focus isn't much better either (still I like it for it's more film like grain). However, the only reason to upgrade for me could be high ISO performance. KX is extremely good at that it seems, actually the best I ever saw in the consumer and semi pro segment. See first review at http://www.ephotozine.com/article/Pentax-Kx-12172; very positive indeed and worth considering. K-7 is absolutely not on par with this. If you are interested in low light photography, KX will do a better job I guess, as it obviously got over the banding issue K7 and K20D had. One other thing to keep in mind could be, that Pentax will eventually come up with a K8 or whatever it's name might be, that combines all sophisticated K7-features with the performance of KX. By that time then, we are probably already prospecting full format, so better be prepared to purchase the right lenses in time;-)... .

Last edited by kasv; 10-14-2009 at 01:18 AM.