Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-09-2009, 11:16 AM   #1
Forum Member

In a bit of a Jam, I need to clean my lenses and sensor but...

OK, so I have a bit of dust on one of lenses and some dust on my sensor. The problem is that I have a shoot on Monday, and apparently none of the local shops have anything I can use to clean my gear.

So, here is my question. What can I use that I can find at a local grocery store (or at my house for that matter) that I can clean my sensor and lens with?

Normally I'd just order it online, but I need this by Monday.

10-09-2009, 11:26 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Very odd - most cameras stores do carry Rocket blowers or similar products. Have you tried places like Best Buy or other electronics dealers?

As for grocery store optins, you could try a rubber bulb designed to be used for cleaning one's ears. Do be sure the inside is clean before using it on your sensor - do some test blows first.
10-09-2009, 11:55 AM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kornbread Quote
OK, so I have a bit of dust on one of lenses and some dust on my sensor. The problem is that I have a shoot on Monday, and apparently none of the local shops have anything I can use to clean my gear.

So, here is my question. What can I use that I can find at a local grocery store (or at my house for that matter) that I can clean my sensor and lens with?

Normally I'd just order it online, but I need this by Monday.
People cringe when I say this, but I use canned gas (available at many fine retailers such as Wal-Mart) for routine sensor cleaning.
just do a couple of trial squirts first to make sure you are't shooting liquid from the nozzle.
This stuff isn't near as dangerous as the doomsayers think it is.
10-09-2009, 11:58 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Everytime Wheatfield cleans his sensor, somewhere, a kitten dies...

10-09-2009, 01:05 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
10-09-2009, 01:08 PM   #6
Pentaxian

If you post your location, some local Pentaxians may be able to help.
10-09-2009, 01:12 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
People cringe when I say this, but I use canned gas (available at many fine retailers such as Wal-Mart) for routine sensor cleaning.
just do a couple of trial squirts first to make sure you are't shooting liquid from the nozzle.
This stuff isn't near as dangerous as the doomsayers think it is.
i think as long as you do short bursts, and the can is facing directly upwards there shouldn't be any condensed matter coming out.
10-09-2009, 01:55 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
I'm in Norther Utah. I've tried a couple of camera shops, and most of them just have a kit with a few Q-Tips in there and a harsh looking brush.

I'll have to check out Best Buy. I didn't look there.

I may just have to kill some kittens to get this accomplished.

10-09-2009, 02:14 PM   #9
Igilligan

He He haha
10-09-2009, 03:53 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kornbread Quote
I'm in Norther Utah. I've tried a couple of camera shops, and most of them just have a kit with a few Q-Tips in there and a harsh looking brush.

I'll have to check out Best Buy. I didn't look there.

I may just have to kill some kittens to get this accomplished.
As with all sensor cleaning methods, use at your own risk and with the understanding that you can damage the camera or sensor.

Can you get a hold of a new foot pump, a new nylon 1" artist brush, and some distilled water?

The distilled water is for cleaning the brush. There will be manufacturing debris an oil that needs to be washed out of the brush. Once the brush is clean and dry, it will hold a charge when air is blown across the bristles. Open the new pump and start exercising it until you are sure there is no residue being blown out of it.

The Cleaning - Cleaning Digital Cameras - D-SLR Sensor Cleaning.
QuoteQuote:
If your camera isn't filthy dirty and it isn't your first time cleaning your sensor, this is the time to use your sensor cleaning brush if you own one. A good sensor cleaning brush will keep you from having to go to the fourth step "The Wet Method" quite often and it is much faster.

You don't want to use a sensor cleaning brush the first time you clean your camera as there is a very good chance that you will contaminate it with goo or stray lubricants and it will only make your sensor worse with streaks. It is also a very good idea to clean the walls of your mirror cage/chamber before using a brush. You can always use a brush that was made for a smaller sensor size on a larger sensor but don't use a larger brush on a smaller sensor. Step 1. Use multiple blasts of air from a foot powered blower on the brush fibers for about 5-20 seconds.
Step 2. Do one gentle stroke motion on the sensor from left to right.
Step 3. Use a blast of air to clean the filaments.
Step 4. Repeat as many strokes as possible to cover the entire sensor. MAKE SURE YOU BLAST THE BRUSH FILAMENTS BEFORE AND AFTER EACH STROKE.
With a Rocket blower this becomes pretty portable. I did have to cut down the handle of the brush to really make it portable.

Thank you
Russell
10-10-2009, 08:37 AM   #11
Pentaxian

I had to wet clean it the other day. First time in 6 years of DSLR use.
Does that mean somewhere a kitten was drowned?
10-10-2009, 12:27 PM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I had to wet clean it the other day. First time in 6 years of DSLR use.
Does that mean somewhere a kitten was drowned?
It means a kitten gets its first bath. :3

On the subject of lens cleaning:
A [very clean] domestic microfibre cloth always works well for lens elements. The finer ones are usually better.
A bit of lung-steam never goes amiss, but if you've got eyeglass-cleaner, that's even better.
If you can't find a blower, harsh bits of dust can be carefully dislodged with a cotton bud (q-tip) before wiping.
10-10-2009, 03:28 PM   #13
Pentaxian

I suppose my own "kitten killing" behaviors include cleaning my lenses with my shirt, and having recharged batteries for years in a $10 charger.
10-10-2009, 07:15 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have been using a squeeze bulb blower with a removable brush on the end for years. My old bulb finally rotted away and wouldn't blow air. I found another recently in Best Buy as part of their lens cleaning kit along with some liquid cleaner and microfiber cloth, $9 if I remember right.
10-10-2009, 08:15 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I use a Rocket blower and a Shop vac for my sensor (think about it) and a micro fiber cloth for my lenses.