Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-18-2009, 06:02 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by calicojack Quote
When I tried to find the Pentax kit, no one had it in stock. Instead, I found this Dot Line product at Adorama. Either the same product or a great knock off. It worked easy and did the job for me.
DLAC01 Dot Line SensorVu Cleaner Kit with Wand & Sheets, for CCD & CMOS Sensors
Dot Line SensorVu Cleaner Kit with Wand & Sheets, for CCD & CMOS Sensors
Mfr. Part: DLAC01 SKU: CPDSVLC

There is also the SCK-1, by Eyelead

Thank you
Russell

02-03-2010, 12:08 PM   #17

all great stuff for you people who live in normal countries.

Anyone have any tips for how to clean something off the sensor in a place with NO camera shops in the entire nation?

Bought the wife a brand new Kx in November. Kept seeing a small artifact on the images, finally looked at the sensor today and it was something that looked smeared. Not a speck, more a little swipe shape. SO, I got out the q-tip cotton swabs and alcohol.....and now, an hour and a half later, there are more smears on it than there was when I started. The alcohol seems to move it around, but it doesn't lift it. Wherever the last droplets of alcohol dry....there will be a smear.

Help?

(and no, I can't just hop down and buy this cleaning kit, or that cleaning kit. Miami is 700 miles north of here. Puerto Rico 500 miles south. There are no cleaning kits here. FedEx would charge me about $ 60 to get something here. UPS about the same, plus three days. I need household stuff that works!)

Last edited by Gringo; 02-03-2010 at 12:22 PM.
02-03-2010, 02:46 PM   #18

well, I guess this is a 'never mind'. Now the camera is telling me the batteries are bad ( they are not bad) and the shutter doesn't open.

I just emailed BH Photo to see what to do next. the camera is two months old.

Dang.
I hate it when that happens.
02-03-2010, 03:29 PM   #19
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Old Timer 56 Quote
I've used the Pentax O-ICK1 Sensor Cleaning Kit on both of my K10D bodies with excellent results. I seems to remove even "sticky" dust. The Visible Dust Sensor Loupe makes it easy to see exactly where the dust is located. Neither of these products is cheap, though, but in my opinion well worth the cost.

Richard
I'll second third or fourth this recommendation (no experience with the loupe). I have the usual cleaning products for wet cleaning, the blowers, the Arctic Butterfly etc and the Pentax cleaning kit is the only thing that's ever worked reliably (similar I guess to a 'sensor pen'). The blower will get rid of most loose stuff. The AB just seems to slide it around and still won't touch the fused on specs. Wet cleaning (for me) works marginally well and is very expensive for the Recommended materials.

02-03-2010, 07:22 PM   #20
Igilligan

Since no one else asked...

Do you find the spider on other lenses?

I have a lens with some dust on the inside of the rear element at F20 + I can see the dust and it looks like senser dust... but it is rear element dust!

Just thought I would ask before you went out and bought a 100 dollar brush!
02-03-2010, 08:31 PM   #21
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Gringo Quote
all great stuff for you people who live in normal countries.

Anyone have any tips for how to clean something off the sensor in a place with NO camera shops in the entire nation?

Bought the wife a brand new Kx in November. Kept seeing a small artifact on the images, finally looked at the sensor today and it was something that looked smeared. Not a speck, more a little swipe shape. SO, I got out the q-tip cotton swabs and alcohol.....and now, an hour and a half later, there are more smears on it than there was when I started. The alcohol seems to move it around, but it doesn't lift it. Wherever the last droplets of alcohol dry....there will be a smear.

Help?

(and no, I can't just hop down and buy this cleaning kit, or that cleaning kit. Miami is 700 miles north of here. Puerto Rico 500 miles south. There are no cleaning kits here. FedEx would charge me about $ 60 to get something here. UPS about the same, plus three days. I need household stuff that works!)
I hope you didn't just learn the hard way of what not to do. (yes, I read your most recent post) What kind of Alcohol was it? Also, Some q-tips may be Abrasive and could scratch the sensor cover screen (you aren't actually touching the sensor).

Re your shipping problems, How about US Mail? If you can get that, PM me your address and I'll send you some optical cleaning wipes, pec-pads, that are better suited for this than Qtips.

Can't help you with your battery problem.. Hope you get it resolved. Sucks to buy the wife something only to have it break in such a short period of time.

02-03-2010, 08:36 PM   #22
Pentaxian

I got spots on my K100DS sensor through changing lenses in very light rain without keeping the camera vertical, so some rain drops dried on the sensor.

I bought a Pentax O-ICK1 Sensor Cleaning Kit from Ebay. Works well. Same thing happened later on my K20D.

See an example of my badly-spotted sensor and then follow the link to watch a video of a Nikon D40 owner using this Pentax cleaning kit so you see exactly how to use it.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/278818-post10.html

Dan.

Last edited by dosdan; 02-04-2010 at 04:09 PM.
02-05-2010, 09:04 AM   #23

Thanks, Jeff. US mail doesn't work here. But I do appreciate the offer.

I contacted Pentax, got on their live chat help thing. They said to send it back, so I am packing it up. Problem seems to be that the shutter is stuck closed.

I didn't use normal q-tips, but the little tightly wound versions that came with some other lens cleaning kit I had. Alcohol is normal isopropyl rubbing alcohol. I don't think I scratched the sensor cover. Thats' not the problem. The problem is the shutter won't open.

Any ideas before I FedEx this thing to the USA?

I'm kinda wondering if I should have bought her the Canon...

02-05-2010, 01:34 PM   #24
Inactive Account

Thanks, Jeff. US mail doesn't work here. But I do appreciate the offer.

I didn't use normal q-tips, but the little tightly wound versions that came with some other lens cleaning kit I had. Alcohol is normal isopropyl rubbing alcohol. I don't think I scratched the sensor cover. Thats' not the problem. The problem is the shutter won't open.
The reason I asked about the alcohol (for future reference) is that Rubbing alcohol comes in 2 flavors. 70% and 99%, the latter being more pure alcohol than the other. You had mentioned that the alcohol was leaving additional smudges on the screen. The reason I asked about the q-tips is that Cotton is an abrasive material. You'd probably have to press pretty hard to get any damage on a lens from them but the sensor cover screen is pretty sensitive. I guess if the shutter is stuck, it's a moot point.

Don't know if you should have bought the Canon, they are not fail proof either. I think it's just a fluke that it's happened. I've read a lot about problems with cameras but this is the first stuck Pentax shutter I can remember reading about.

Good luck.

02-05-2010, 04:01 PM   #25

okay, I see what you mean about the alcohol. I only lightly dabbed the little grease spot on the sensor with the swab. Then wrapped it in some microfiber tissue thing with the kit.

The camera started misbehaving after I put it in Sensor Cleaning mode. It never really recovered from that.

do you think it is worth me trying to do anything with the shutter? take it apart? Its under warranty, but six weeks without it kinda depresses me. I know the fix is going to take someone five minutes......but five weeks from now.
02-05-2010, 05:27 PM   #26
Inactive Account

okay, I see what you mean about the alcohol. I only lightly dabbed the little grease spot on the sensor with the swab. Then wrapped it in some microfiber tissue thing with the kit.

The camera started misbehaving after I put it in Sensor Cleaning mode. It never really recovered from that.

do you think it is worth me trying to do anything with the shutter? take it apart? Its under warranty, but six weeks without it kinda depresses me. I know the fix is going to take someone five minutes......but five weeks from now.
You're kind of between the proverbial rock and hard place on this one. I definitely would not recommend taking the camera apart while still under warranty. Probably not even afterwords but your call. What I Would suggest is getting a strong magnifier and light. Raise the mirror (via the mirror up function if you can), and inspect for foreign matter in the shutter area. I don't know how possible (if at all) that is. It could cause still more damage. 5 weeks seems like a long time but it's cheap in the grand scheme of buying a new camera.
02-06-2010, 04:14 PM   #27

Thanks, I think I will try that, and see if I can somehow get the shutter to move. Do you know if it normally opens from the top or the bottom?

And why did I get a message blocking me from this forum until I picked a flag?

The problem with that is that you do not have a flag for the country I live in.
So I just picked another country. I don't think you should force people to choose a flag from some random country where they don't live.

it makes your map inaccurate. Whats the point?

But thanks for the advice. I bet you are right, and its a foreign object, hair, or something jamming the shutter.