Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-09-2009, 08:40 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Sensor cleaning if Giottos doesn't help?

Hello,

I'm getting concerned. My K100DS has what I believe to be dust in the sensor. I have used the Giottos blower for days but it is still there. I tested at f32 and it really shows. At wide apertures it is the usual smudge. At f32 it looks like a little spider. Could that be something else besides dust? Where do I go from here?
Please advise!

Thanks,

10-10-2009, 08:34 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

You have something stuck to your sensor. It's time for a wet clean.
10-10-2009, 02:24 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
You have something stuck to your sensor. It's time for a wet clean.
Thanks. Can you explain the process?
10-10-2009, 02:42 PM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
Thanks. Can you explain the process?
This will explain the process and then some...

Introduction - Cleaning Digital Cameras - D-SLR Sensor Cleaning.

10-10-2009, 06:17 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks! That's a great link!
10-12-2009, 07:07 AM   #6
Veteran Member

The quickest, safest, most effective and least headache before going to wet cleaning would be a Sensor Klear pen. I use mine as needed, which isn't terribly often, and it works like a charm, takes 2-3 minutes start to finish. I think k I paid around $10 for it.

Jason
10-12-2009, 01:42 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Well since the 5d mk2 is a dust magnet I'll say this

Sensor Klear pen - good for spots, in field spot clean for the large obvious dust bunnies

Wet clean - for some reason after a wet clean dust seems to stay away for a while, not sure why but once a month or every other month a wet clean seems to do wonders.

sensor brushes - they do work but after I got the above I have never used the one I have.

Gittos - seems great for lesnes etc but I have a habit of blowing dust off the sensor to somewhere else I don't want it, plus most sensor cleaning built in now days seems to shake off the same dust a blower will blow off, anythign stuck on won't shake or blow off in any case.

10-12-2009, 02:15 PM   #8

I've used the Pentax O-ICK1 Sensor Cleaning Kit on both of my K10D bodies with excellent results. I seems to remove even "sticky" dust. The Visible Dust Sensor Loupe makes it easy to see exactly where the dust is located. Neither of these products is cheap, though, but in my opinion well worth the cost.

Richard
10-12-2009, 03:24 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by Old Timer 56 Quote
I've used the Pentax O-ICK1 Sensor Cleaning Kit on both of my K10D bodies with excellent results. I seems to remove even "sticky" dust. The Visible Dust Sensor Loupe makes it easy to see exactly where the dust is located. Neither of these products is cheap, though, but in my opinion well worth the cost.

Richard
Hi,
I too use the Pentax Sensor Cleaning Kit and i have had great results, Additionally i have rigged up a mini Vacuum using a small electric compressor and some small bore plastic tubing with the end made into a "T" shape by the addition of connectors available from Aquarium Suppliers. The bottom of the "T" forming the Vacuum end.

Best Regards -
10-12-2009, 03:39 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I spent the best part of an hour cleaning my K10 sensor yeasterday. The sensor pen ( Sensorklear ) just seemed to shift the crap around, and then the carbon tip started to disintigrate and made it worse!
10-12-2009, 03:52 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lloydy Quote
I spent the best part of an hour cleaning my K10 sensor yeasterday. The sensor pen ( Sensorklear ) just seemed to shift the crap around, and then the carbon tip started to disintigrate and made it worse!
hahaha....I use the SensorKlear too and have had to chase the goobers around the sensor a couple time myself. I think it can be a result of the humid-it-it-ity...and the amount of static in the air making the dust "stickier". Haven't worn out a tip yet though but can only imagine how cranky a person could get if carbon particles started falling off.

Still, the SensorKlear pen is the best, easiest way I've found to clean the sensor when a blower would not do the trick.
10-14-2009, 03:46 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I resisted throwing the damned thing in the bin, but I was sorely tempted.

The next time I use it I think I'll try brushing the carbon tip with an old blower brush to ( hopefully ) remove the goobers before they fall off on the sensor.
10-16-2009, 11:59 AM   #13

try a makeup brush first

Before you go for the full wet clean, try using a brush. I recently had this issue and was going to go full out spending 30+ dollars on Eclipse, etc since the Giotto seemed to do nothing for some dust I picked up, no matter how many times I used it. But, instead I went to Walmart and bought a $2 makeup brush, washed it with water and detergent a few times, waited overnight for it to dry, then blew through the bristle with the Giotto to charge it to pick up dust and brushed it across the sensor a few times. Then I turned it back on, and not a single spec of dust left. You can read more about it here: The Pixel Sweeper and here:
Dust Busters! from Adorama Learning Center
10-17-2009, 04:21 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jkinsey Quote
Before you go for the full wet clean, try using a brush. I recently had this issue and was going to go full out spending 30+ dollars on Eclipse, etc since the Giotto seemed to do nothing for some dust I picked up, no matter how many times I used it. But, instead I went to Walmart and bought a $2 makeup brush, washed it with water and detergent a few times, waited overnight for it to dry, then blew through the bristle with the Giotto to charge it to pick up dust and brushed it across the sensor a few times. Then I turned it back on, and not a single spec of dust left. You can read more about it here: The Pixel Sweeper and here:
Dust Busters! from Adorama Learning Center
Good tip, I like it and will try it!
It is a lot cheaper then spending €25 on 3 wet swipes

- Bert
10-18-2009, 05:43 AM   #15
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Old Timer 56 Quote

Richard
When I tried to find the Pentax kit, no one had it in stock. Instead, I found this Dot Line product at Adorama. Either the same product or a great knock off. It worked easy and did the job for me.
DLAC01 Dot Line SensorVu Cleaner Kit with Wand & Sheets, for CCD & CMOS Sensors
Dot Line SensorVu Cleaner Kit with Wand & Sheets, for CCD & CMOS Sensors
Mfr. Part: DLAC01 SKU: CPDSVLC