Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-11-2009, 09:40 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Annoyed With K7 Price

I was ready to purchase a K7 this week,hoping to find one around about the $1500 to $1600 mark.I went to different camera stores around Sydney to compare prices.The best price I could get was $1759,with a 18-55WR lens.I also see the Nikon D90 with a two lens kit for around the same price.I think to myself would I better of buying the Nikon.The D90 mightn't be WR,but for value sakes Pentax doesn't give you anything extra compared to the D90.I just think for that price,Pentax should have the 16-45mm or the 16-50mm lens as the standard lens for the K7,instead of the basic 18-55mm.Or at least add a second lens to justify the costly price.The way I see it is that if you lower the price,you are going to have a faster stock turnover time,instead of it sitting there on the shelf,not making anything .The Aussie dollar has reached the 90cUS mark,so imports should start to come down in price,so I'll now wait until hopefully the Pentax K7 comes down.That's my whinge for the day.Any comments welcomed!

10-11-2009, 09:51 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Reading a few other threads, 1000USD can get you a K-7 in the States.
In comparison, here in Japan around 100,000yen is possible.
I've actually seen the kit selling for as low as 80,000yen/800USD on an internet auction site in Japan.
A price drop in Aus will surely happen.
Guess you have to ask yourself if you need a new camera now, or later...
10-11-2009, 10:40 PM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by Barnster Quote
I was ready to purchase a K7 this week,hoping to find one around about the $1500 to $1600 mark.I went to different camera stores around Sydney to compare prices.The best price I could get was $1759,with a 18-55WR lens.I also see the Nikon D90 with a two lens kit for around the same price.I think to myself would I better of buying the Nikon.The D90 mightn't be WR,but for value sakes Pentax doesn't give you anything extra compared to the D90.I just think for that price,Pentax should have the 16-45mm or the 16-50mm lens as the standard lens for the K7,instead of the basic 18-55mm.Or at least add a second lens to justify the costly price.The way I see it is that if you lower the price,you are going to have a faster stock turnover time,instead of it sitting there on the shelf,not making anything .The Aussie dollar has reached the 90cUS mark,so imports should start to come down in price,so I'll now wait until hopefully the Pentax K7 comes down.That's my whinge for the day.Any comments welcomed!

I think the 16-50 bundled is asking a bit much! and in the long run, buy a few stabilised lenses and then reconsider the concept of value for money
10-11-2009, 11:03 PM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Do you want to wait or go for one now from a fellow forum member?:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographers-marketplace/75896-sale-aus-...-k-7-body.html

10-11-2009, 11:05 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Barnster Quote
The D90 mightn't be WR,but for value sakes Pentax doesn't give you anything extra compared to the D90.
I'm not sure I'd agree. The differences might not matter to you (or every user), but they're definitely there:

K-7 vs D90
14.6 vs 12.3 megapixel
1/8000 vs 1/4000 shutter
0-22EV metering range vs 0-20EV
9 cross-type AF sensors vs 1 cross-type AF sensor
In-body IS vs no in-body IS
100% viewfinder vs 96% viewfinder
Sync connector vs no sync connector
External stereo mic jack vs. internal mono mic only
Smaller body vs larger body
Magnesium alloy vs plastic
Weather sealed vs not weather sealed (as you noted)
5.2 fps for 15 Raw frames vs 4.5 fps for 11 Raw frames
1536 x 1024px max. movie, vs. 1280 x 720px max.
Composition adjustment vs no composition adjustment
In-body HDR vs no in-body HDR
Choice of Raw formats vs no choice

I wouldn't be surprised in the least if I've missed some that I didn't think of. That's not to say the D90 doesn't have its own advantages, either. There are definitely a few - a better built-in flash, optional GPS connectivity and a slightly lighter body spring to mind.

By and large though, the choice comes down to personal taste. Kit lenses are generally in the order of $100-150 more per lens over the body-only price, so you're not talking about a very large difference in price - a little under 10%. Try both cameras, see which has the ergonomics and features you actually desire, and let the choice be made for you.
10-11-2009, 11:34 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Just buy two K-x's instead of the K7. The cost will be the same, since Ryda.com.au have the K-x w.18-55 for $848.85 or $768.85 body only, compared to the K-7 for $1,698.95 w. 18-55WR.

Or buy one K-x and a few extra lenses. The K-7 is looking to be a pretty good performer, and its new 12MP sensor might even be better than the K-7's in some respects.

Either way I expect the K-7 price to start dropping as the AUD maintains it's strength and as Xmas approaches. CRK will eventually get the message and start to drop the price.

Especially as the D90 has fallen a few hundred $ over the last few months, as have rival Canons like the 500D and 50D. Also the arrival of the Nikon D300s and Canon 7D is generating so much buzz that Pentax is being pushed well and truly out of the spotlight atm. Some K7 cost cutting to restore some sales momentum certainly seems in order.
10-12-2009, 12:05 AM   #7
Veteran Member

K7 on DWI for $1245 AUD (body only).

10-12-2009, 12:19 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

The Nikon doesn't let you use Pentax lenses. The K-7 is a joy to use and is a very capable camera body.
The price is the price, either pay it and be able to use Pentax glass, or use something else and use whatever the heck glass that you can get for it.
Your choice.
You have to decide if your pictures are worth a Pentax lens or not.
10-12-2009, 03:04 AM   #9
Veteran Member

My personal observation is that the pentax DSLR prices will not come down very much in Oz. Just look at the price of k20D after all these years.

At the rate the Oz dollar is climbing against the greenback, i would guess your best bet is to wait until the oz dollar hit parity with the greens and then buy from US. You will get the most bang for your bucks in that case...but of course, you lose your warranty with CRK, which I am thinking is worth not very much anyway, based on some the feedbacks the forumers have.....

I am planning to get the K-x direct from US for wifey....hopefully in time for xmas.
10-12-2009, 04:30 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Question:

Considering that thousands of pics have been churned for sport, photojournalism, fashion etc by Canon & Nikon lenses for many many years in the 35mm format, how come they (the photographers) haven't yet cottoned on to the superiority of Pentax lenses??

Dylan
10-12-2009, 04:52 AM   #11
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dylansalt Quote
Question:

Considering that thousands of pics have been churned for sport, photojournalism, fashion etc by Canon & Nikon lenses for many many years in the 35mm format, how come they (the photographers) haven't yet cottoned on to the superiority of Pentax lenses??

Dylan
Familiarity and favouritism...
10-12-2009, 06:42 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Hi Ash

I still don't get it?

My remark was kinda tongue in cheek;-)

Out of the masses I'm sure some could be wrong but not ALL of them - surely?

Dylan
10-12-2009, 06:56 AM   #13

Don't just base it on the camera, base it on the overall system you are buying into and what future purchases from either brand will cost and the support available for both (Nikon vs Pentax). K-7 pricing hasn't moved down much here in Canada either but luckily the proxmity to the US and lack of duty makes it relatively easy to import or purchase from Prodigital. Atleast its cheaper than the 2 year old D300 which has kept its value incredibly well.
10-12-2009, 07:24 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Annoyed with K-7 price? Try waiting for a year. You might get it at half the current price.
10-12-2009, 08:37 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dylansalt Quote
Out of the masses I'm sure some could be wrong but not ALL of them - surely?
Why does it have to be a right/wrong thing? It's very subjective, and goes both ways, really: an advantage of a Pentax camera is that is works with the excellent Pentax lenses; and advantage of a Canon is that is works with the excellent Canon lenses, and ditto for Nikon. Each has its specific lenses that outshine what the others have in many eyes.

But FWIW, the reasons professionals tend to go with Canon or Nikon have little to do with who has the better lenses; it's all about which company has a better support system for professional photographers. Eg, ability to rent lenses and accessories, trade with / borrow from fellow pros, have a wide range of lenses and accessories available for purchase locally, greater support from third party manufacturers, etc. Lots of these people have a healthy respect (to the point of envy) for Pentax lenses.