Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-12-2009, 08:50 AM   #16

Photos: Gallery
Barnster, I'll try to sidestep the battle of the brand defenses and simply share that I own both cameras. I've had the D90 for longer than the K-7 so I would say I'm even more familiar with it. I currently own the 18-105mm VR and 70-300mm VR for the Nikon and I own three Limited lenses (21, 35, and 70) along with a couple of manual focus primes (28 and 50) for the K-7.

The bottom line is that these are two fairly different setups with the two systems and I use them in totally different ways. That said, I find myself reaching for the K-7 more than the D90. The D90 is fast, responsive, has great ISO performance, and takes really awesome photos. The K-7 has amazing build quality, incredible lenses, and a beautiful design that makes it a pleasure to shoot with.

Each has their strengths and weaknesses but the real differences are in the lenses available for each. If you're a consumer zoom shooter and have no plans on changing that, (let the booing begin) the D90 has an amazing 18-105mm VR that is simple a great lens. If you like more compact primes and are looking for a more refined feel with the body and lenses, however, it's going to leave you a bit frustrated. Nikon produces cheap, plastic consumer lenses nowadays. Pentax has some dogs as well but their Limiteds are simply unmatched. If you have no interest in Limiteds or the DA* weather-sealing, Pentax simply might not be the choice for you.

I would encourage you to actually handle each if at all possible. The build quality of the K-7 is on par with the Nikon D300 and leaves the D90 seriously behind in terms of quality of feel. Add in some of the higher end Nikon glass and you're looking at a serious credit card bill. My advice is to define 1) what kind of lenses are you going to buy, not what you'd like to be able to afford, but what you will actually spend money on, 2) determine what type of photography you actually do, do you need extremely fast autofocus and high ISO or do you, like most everyone, take most of your photos at ISO 800 or lower?, and 3) get a chance to handle each camera and take some test photos. This will settle the deal faster than any other option.

So, the bottom line is that even though I own both systems, I take the K-7 with my 90% of the time. The only reason I haven't sold the D90 yet is that I still use the 70-300mm VR for wildlife until I can figure out if the Sigma 100-300mm f/4 I purchased can be fixed for my camera. Once I can sort out the wildlife lens option, the Nikon may go bye bye -- PM me if you're just dying to purchase a used Nikon D90 and two lenses!

10-12-2009, 09:01 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dylansalt Quote
Question:

Considering that thousands of pics have been churned for sport, photojournalism, fashion etc by Canon & Nikon lenses for many many years in the 35mm format, how come they (the photographers) haven't yet cottoned on to the superiority of Pentax lenses??

Dylan
It's not about the lenses for some of them. It's about camera body performance (Pentax lags very far behind), product support for professionals, etc.
Nikon and Canon have done a masterful job of setting themselves up as the goto brand of choice through their marketing decisions and by working very hard to keep their camera bodies at or near the cutting edge of available camera technology for some 4 decades.
Pentax has done a piss poor job in this regard, but their lenses have always been ahead of the pack in terms of imaging quality.
Nikon and Canon make some decent lenses, no doubt about it. Pentax makes better glass, though as Mark says, a lot of this is subjective.

You might be interested to know that the Pentax 6x7 was one of the most used camera in the studio fashion photography industry until the business went digital.
10-12-2009, 09:41 AM   #18

I really appreciate all the great suggestions, my main objective is to have a small and light kit, that's the reason I am looking for a 35mm Prime lens. I purchased 2 weeks ago a D90 with the 35mm f/1.8 Lens, very good combination and performance. But after I saw the K7 and checked the quality and size (small tank), I returned the D90 + Lens and bought the K7 + the 18-55mm lens, it's a very good combination, the lens is small and light and WR, but in low light conditions I do not get very good performance. That's the reason why I am looking for the small/light/cheap prime Pentax lens, I might research the Sigma/Tamron options as well, but my ideal would be a WR lens, and they do not have, any other suggestion ?, thanks again.
10-12-2009, 10:02 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by davebris33 Quote
I think the 16-50 bundled is asking a bit much! and in the long run, buy a few stabilised lenses and then reconsider the concept of value for money

Uh, all lenses are stabilized on the K-7, which has in-camera SR.

Rob

10-12-2009, 10:24 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robgo2 Quote
Uh, all lenses are stabilized on the K-7, which has in-camera SR.

Rob
I'm wondering if that wasn't his point.
10-12-2009, 12:49 PM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by brosen Quote
I really appreciate all the great suggestions, my main objective is to have a small and light kit, that's the reason I am looking for a 35mm Prime lens. I purchased 2 weeks ago a D90 with the 35mm f/1.8 Lens, very good combination and performance. But after I saw the K7 and checked the quality and size (small tank), I returned the D90 + Lens and bought the K7 + the 18-55mm lens, it's a very good combination, the lens is small and light and WR, but in low light conditions I do not get very good performance. That's the reason why I am looking for the small/light/cheap prime Pentax lens, I might research the Sigma/Tamron options as well, but my ideal would be a WR lens, and they do not have, any other suggestion ?, thanks again.
There really is no WR Pentax prime in the 35mm range, nor any Pentax branded ~35mm prime in the price range of the 35mm f1.8 Nikon prime lens. Actually I don't think there is a Sigma or Tamron in that price range either. Cheap autofocus primes actually seems to be a market Pentax no longer serves.
10-12-2009, 01:28 PM   #22
Veteran Member

I heard a rumour that VANBAR IMAGING has a special of $1250 body only BRAND NEW. Even if they don't they'll do a better price than you have stated.

mike

10-12-2009, 01:30 PM   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by frogger Quote
There really is no WR Pentax prime in the 35mm range, nor any Pentax branded ~35mm prime in the price range of the 35mm f1.8 Nikon prime lens. Actually I don't think there is a Sigma or Tamron in that price range either. Cheap autofocus primes actually seems to be a market Pentax no longer serves.
Frogger, I think this is a valid concern for Pentax but I would include an "... at the moment" to qualify the statement. I am sure that if Pentax R&D had a blank check, they would love to design an entire fleet of fast primes and Limiteds that would be unmatched. The unfortunate part for Pentax shooters, at the moment, is that they have to hit the low hanging fruit and make as much money as possible until things stabilize a bit more. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see a fast "normal" lens for crop-sensors before too long. They have a concept underway based on their now-retraced Roadmap that included a 30mm DA lens of some undefined speed... my guess, a 30mm f/1.8 or something in that ballpark. It would compliment their 50mm f/1.4 DA* lens perfectly. I wouldn't expect a $100 lens but it should be a more affordable option than the 50mm f/1.4 is. Considering they offer a WR 18-55mm for under $200 in the US, it seems like a good fit into their Roadmap philosophy.
10-12-2009, 02:33 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ozlizard Quote
K7 on DWI for $1245 AUD (body only).
AFAIK, DWI are imported stock.

QuoteOriginally posted by schmik Quote
I heard a rumour that VANBAR IMAGING has a special of $1250 body only BRAND NEW.
Yes, up until this weekend. But I don't know how much stock they have left. At the start of the sale they had 17 units of K7 Body at $1250, 5 units of K7+18-55WR at $1550 and 17 units of Km at $599.
10-12-2009, 03:08 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Funny I am selling my d90 and moving back to pentax and getting a k7 and am AMAZED by the value for money compared to the D90..

I don't need to list the numerous reasons it is better value others already have ;-)
10-13-2009, 02:13 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
It's not about the lenses for some of them. It's about camera body performance (Pentax lags very far behind), product support for professionals, etc.
Nikon and Canon have done a masterful job of setting themselves up as the goto brand of choice through their marketing decisions and by working very hard to keep their camera bodies at or near the cutting edge of available camera technology for some 4 decades.
Pentax has done a piss poor job in this regard, but their lenses have always been ahead of the pack in terms of imaging quality.
Nikon and Canon make some decent lenses, no doubt about it. Pentax makes better glass, though as Mark says, a lot of this is subjective.

You might be interested to know that the Pentax 6x7 was one of the most used camera in the studio fashion photography industry until the business went digital.
Thanks for the reply.

Yes I certainly do know about the 6x7 and it was something I really did want due to it's 35mm style handling (albeit large) and I would have been willing to lug it around for the IQ of the larger format (having shot with a Yashica Mat 124G).

In fact I use to take my Contax 28,50 70-210 & Yashica on all mountaineering trips - the wonders of youth

Unfortunately I never got round to affording the 6x7 due to financial constraints at that time.

Now I'm in a better position I have cut my teeth with the K10D but now looking for the bigger sensor and the Nikon D700 can be had for R 6000 more than the K7 and a 50mm 1.8 for R 1500 and a 35mm 28mm for not much more moola (Pentax 35mm prime is half the cost of the K7 over here

Another point is if it's worth building up an arsenal of aps-c lenses with full frame possibly becoming more affordable

Regards

Dylan
10-13-2009, 04:34 AM   #27
Veteran Member

nikon 35/2 and 28/2.8 are very poor on DSLR esp on FF.. look into that before buying them ;-)