Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-12-2009, 03:08 PM   #1

K10 Weather Sealing

My wife and I volunteer with the Teri Brodeur Breast Cancer Foundation here in Connecticut and on October 3rd we held our annual 26.2 Mile walk to raise money for research. One of the things I like about the foundation is that ALL money raised through donations goes directly to researchers working on finding a cure. To date we have raised over 1 Million dollars.

I volunteer as the photographer for all of the foundation events, and on the day of the walk I had the chance to find out just how weather sealed the K10 really is. I was outside from 5:30 am to just after 5 pm in the afternoon covering the event. The only time I was inside was when I was in my car, with my wife (she chauffeured me around all day) driving to the next point in the walk where I needed to be. I walked about 5 to 6 miles because in many cases I had to be dropped off and then walk to where the walkers would pass by, some of the route went through state parks, beaches and wooded areas. The only rain gear I had was a poncho. I shot the entire event with 2 K10Ds, my 50-135, 70mm and 50 1.4. At one point I was standing on the Baldwin Bridge in Old Saybrook in a downpour while shooting. I have to say that the K10s held up tremendously. I dried them off with a towel when moving from point to point but they were out in the rain as often as I was. At the beginning of the day I was worried about all the rain ruining the camera but after a while I stopped worrying and just kept shooting. I did make sure to only change memory cards while under cover and then only after drying the body off. Overall I can testify to how well the K10 is weather sealed and would not hesitate to walk outside in a rainstorm to shoot again.

The day was a lot of fun we had over 400 walkers and 100+ volunteers manning all the rest stops, checkpoints, etc.

Attached Images

10-12-2009, 03:45 PM   #2
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well this looks like a fine test for weather sealing.
Hope the K10D with the 70ltd and 50 lenses came off OK, given that those lenses aren't WR.
Well done and thanks for sharing these.
10-12-2009, 03:47 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Great pic's of a wonderful fund raiser, it's so good to see charities supported so well.

As for the rain, I bought my K10 because the best 4x4 off roading is done in the rain.
10-12-2009, 04:49 PM   #4

Original Poster
How does your K10 handle the mud of off-roading? I would be more worried about that than the rain.

Ash, While the 70 and 50 aren't weather sealed they did a fantastic job and don't seem to be any worse off. I did make sure to dry everything off as soon as I could while moving from point to point.

10-13-2009, 08:25 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Good for you for raising money for charity.

I got my K10 soaked a few months ago for the first time.
Heavy rain for 3-hours.
I had the kit lens on for a short time, then most of the time with a smc 100-300.
I was more concerned about the lenses, tbh.
I had a towel with me that I would keep using on camera and lens, but couldn't keep dry no matter what.
My friend had a new Nikon D700 covered up with a cut-off leg from a pair of waterproof leggings.
This pic below shows how heavy the rain was.
You can also just see my friend on the right come into view to ruin my shot...

10-13-2009, 09:32 AM   #6

Original Poster
Hi Mickey, Great shot. The one thing I wish I had with me was an extra towel, I certainly could have used it. I was wearing a poncho so when I had to wait for walkers I simply kept my K10 under the poncho to keep the rain off as much as possible. I did find that the sun shade did a great job of keeping water off the front of the lens which would have been a real issue as the day wore on.

I didn't worry about the 50-135 since it's sealed but I was concerned about the 70 and the 50 but they held up just fine.
10-13-2009, 09:43 AM   #7
Veteran Member

nice shots, can't wait for a K-x-type camera to have weathersealing. In the mean time, I will look at storm jacket and shutter hat - or somethign similar.
10-13-2009, 03:14 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Here I am 'driving' into a stream ( gravity has more to do with it than driving )

About 5 minutes later I fell headlong off that bank with the K10 on my shoulder, it ended up completely submerged in the very muddy water.
I had a very stiff neck, badly cut head and broken glasses, the K10 got washed off with clean water and worked perfectly.

The camera doesn't ride with me on the competitive sections, I just give it to anyone standing watching and tell them to "press the big silver button"
But between the sections it just sits on the floor in the mud, in a supermarket carrier bag if it's really crappy, and gets cleaned when I get home. I don't put it on the passenger seat because it would just end up on the floor anyway!
It's why I bought it, I'd wrecked far too many Canon film camera's over the years, although the old Ae1p was built like a tank, but certainly not weatherproof.

10-14-2009, 05:30 AM   #9

Original Poster
lloydy, you are a far braver man than I am. I don't think I would have even considered bringing my K10 where there was that much mud or such a high risk of getting it submerged. After your experiences though I think I'll probably more inclined to take it to places I would not have considered in the past.
Thanks for sharing
Shawn