Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-13-2009, 01:50 PM   #1

Manual lens

I just got my new K20D I was told my old K mount lens would work, They are not auto,so when I put it on the F flashes on top of the camera and the shutter does not work. HELP. Mickey

10-13-2009, 02:33 PM   #2

Go to the menu, navigate to Custom setting and then scroll to #36(?).Enable aperture ring. Should work after that.
10-13-2009, 05:18 PM   #3
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum Mickey.
It would be advisable to read the manual beforehand as it explains how to set the camera up to take photos with manual lenses reasonably well.
See how you go.
10-13-2009, 05:31 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
What you really want is to go to the Beginner's forum where there is a sticky thread at the top of the list that explains in great detail how ot use manual lenses on a Pentax DSLR.

10-13-2009, 05:35 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
What you really want is to go to the Beginner's forum where there is a sticky thread at the top of the list that explains in great detail how ot use manual lenses on a Pentax DSLR.
There should be a sticky thread about how to use the manual.
10-13-2009, 05:56 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Yeah, but to be fair, it's not like the manual has a crystal-clear explanation of the process. if it did, then the sticky thread on how to use manual lenses woud simply read, "turn to page XXX of the manul and read the excellent deescription there". But sure, plenty of questions asked here *are* easily answered by consulting the manual.
10-13-2009, 06:38 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
There should be a sticky thread about how to use the manual.
to be fair to the OP there is an almost inherent tendancy, especially with the amount of both pentax and third party promotion about the backwards compatibility of pentax cameras, to simply assume the lens will work with no setting changes needed.

BUT.... having said that, and seeing your comment about an instruction on how to read the manual, all gloves are off,

It's lets have fun with comments time

there is a great assumption that people actually can read, or will read, if someone is an engineer you can almost be assured that reading the manual is the last thing he will do!
10-13-2009, 08:32 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote

there is a great assumption that people actually can read, or will read, if someone is an engineer you can almost be assured that reading the manual is the last thing he will do!
If it was written by an engineer, you can be almost assured it will be unreadable.

10-13-2009, 08:46 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
If it was written by an engineer, you can be almost assured it will be unreadable.
I have a BA degree in English Language and Literature.

I once applied for a job as a technical writer for a Civil Engineering and project management firm.

I had three interviews and made the finals, but the other person was hired.

The explanation given was, "We know you are the best English writer we've interviewed, but you can't write like an engineer."
10-13-2009, 08:54 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
i have a ba degree in english language and literature.

I once applied for a job as a technical writer for a civil engineering and project management firm.

I had three interviews and made the finals, but the other person was hired.

The explanation given was, "we know you are the best english writer we've interviewed, but you can't write like an engineer."
"Catch 22"!
10-14-2009, 09:50 AM   #11

When I got my K110D, the very first thing I did at the store before paying was attach my SMC-M 50mm/1.7 to make sure it worked. It took the salesperson and I nearly twenty minutes, with the manual in hand, to decipher the setting that would enable it to work. The description of the setting just didn't include any of the words I was looking for in order to understand which setting was preventing it.

I generally think of myself as a fairly smart guy, but:

QuoteQuote:
36. Using aperture ring: Sets to enable shutter release when lens aperture ring is set at other than than A
Just didn't scream, "Enable use of manual apertures" or "Enable manual lenses" to me. Furthermore, the extra information they include in the manual is misleading at best. pg249 flat out says,
QuoteQuote:
Only DA and FA J lenses and D FA/FA/F/A lenses having an A position on the aperture ring can be used with this camera./
It then goes on to describe how the setting 36 makes that sentence complete wrong. It's just a very very poorly documented feature, and very confusing to figure out how it works if you don't already know. I have absolutely no idea why that setting exists. The only possibly reason I can think of is to protect people from accidentally sliding their lens out of A mode and being confused why they lost control of the aperture, but that seems like a much smaller case than the case of people using manual lenses that are the pride and joy of Pentax. It's absolutely grade A weird that the setting defaults the way it does.
10-14-2009, 11:25 AM   #12
Kai

Lol!!!! U guys crack me up.
I had the same problem and the manual did not have an index for manual lenses. Admittedly I miss that detail the first glance.
11-09-2009, 07:31 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Thanks. I wrestled with this for a couple days with my new 2 hand K20D trying to figure it all out using the manual. I was using a Pentax 6x7 to K adapter, a Pentax helicoid spacer and a Pentax 6x7 135 F4. I came from film using an LX and this all worked fine on that body.

Many thanks for solving this frustration. This forum is great!