Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-15-2006, 07:26 PM   #1

K10d?

Hello all. I am new here. I am trying to decide if I really should get the K10 coming out, or get a K100. I am going to wait until reviews (professional and user) come out of course, but I wanted to get your opinions.

I am an amateur and currently use a Pentax K1000 and a Canon S2 IS, which means my experience is either with full-manual film or higher-end point and shoot digital. I have yet to invest in a dSLR because I love using my manual focus 50mm/f1.4 lens. Now I see this camera that accepts my favorite lens that will also allow me to save money on film, AND it has weather and dust resistance. I am more of an art photographer - I shoot in available light, usually abstracts and landscapes. I hardly ever do portraits or action. I avoid using flash whenever possible because I don't like how it looks most of the time. To see a sample of what I do, my website is at http://potatostar.com.

How much more complicated is it to use dSLR? Is it basically combining the knowledge I already have? I am a visual person and have never been able to do post-production and exposures mathematically, I just eyeball my adjustments in Photoshop.

11-15-2006, 08:38 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by potatostar Quote
Hello all. I am new here. I am trying to decide if I really should get the K10 coming out, or get a K100. I am going to wait until reviews (professional and user) come out of course, but I wanted to get your opinions.
Many of us are getting the K10D sight unseen. The K100 is a good camera, the K10 looks to be a step up.

I am an amateur and currently use a Pentax K1000 and a Canon S2 IS, which means my experience is either with full-manual film or higher-end point and shoot digital. I have yet to invest in a dSLR because I love using my manual focus 50mm/f1.4 lens. Now I see this camera that accepts my favorite lens that will also allow me to save money on film, AND it has weather and dust resistance. I am more of an art photographer - I shoot in available light, usually abstracts and landscapes. I hardly ever do portraits or action. I avoid using flash whenever possible because I don't like how it looks most of the time.
Flash, when used well, doesn't look like flash was used. Pentax also makes two flashes (and Sigma makes two as well) that synch all the way down to 1/4000th second which is really helpful for certain macro shots.

To see a sample of what I do, my website is at http://potatostar.com.
No action? The dancing bishops was my favorite.

How much more complicated is it to use dSLR? Is it basically combining the knowledge I already have? I am a visual person and have never been able to do post-production and exposures mathematically, I just eyeball my adjustments in Photoshop.
I had less exposure to film cameras than you, and it didn't take me long to figure it all out. Thank you Pentax for making my camera intuitive.
11-15-2006, 09:30 PM   #3
Veteran Member

it may not use film anymore, but the concept of photography still remains....
take ur shots in jpg's...not in raw...so u dont have to do much post work.

one thing w/ going digital is..getting to see what ur shots looks like right after you snap it...adjust accordingly, and snap again

may take some time in getting the most out of the thing, but...in all honesty..if u know how to get a proper exposrure w/ a fully manual camera...chances are you already know how to get a proper exposure w/ a dslr...
11-16-2006, 09:39 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I agree with the others - the principles of photography are the same no matter what type of camera you use. Your situation is very similar to mine - I had a K1000 and an MEsuper plus a few lenses, and had jumped into digital with an Oly stylus p&s. I got a DL, and had very little trouble making the transition. Yes, there are waaaay more buttons, menus and choices, but once you figure out the basic settings you can just ignore most of the rest! I use my old fully manual lenses almost exclusively, because I'm in no hurry and I like them better. They just feel right.

I don't know what you mean about doing pp mathematically, doesn't everyone just eyeball it? I'd recommend shooting jpeg to begin with, while you get familiar with the camera, but eventually you might want to try raw. It seems pretty daunting at first, but folks here can give you lots of advice on workflow if you go that route. I was mostly happy with the jpeg output, but raw gives you a great deal more to work with and I'm glad I switched, even if I did have to go out and buy an 80GB external drive!

As for K100 vs K10, that comes down to budget and personal preference. I'm perfectly happy with 6MP and if I dropped my camera down a pit tomorrow, I'd replace it with a K100, no question.

I took a quick look at your gallery, I liked what I saw. Good luck with your decision!

Julie

11-16-2006, 08:55 PM   #5

Original Poster
thanks for all the responses. megapixels aren't an issue with me, I think might go for the K10 for the weather and dust resistance! i am going to iceland next summer so that will be handy.

by "mathematic" i mean anything technical, like reading histograms. a friend of mine is a scientist, and recently got into photography, and it's so interesting to watch her post-process using technical prowess.

i don't exactly have any budget for either model, since i just got myself a shiny new imac, but i will find a way to obtain a new camera.
11-17-2006, 08:22 AM   #6

Photos: Gallery
Hehe. You sound like me, I'm more visual w/ my adjustments that I am w/ the mathematical technicalities. The latter not being my strongpoint.

You'll certainly appreciate the ability to see your photos right after you take them, which IMO, only makes you a better photographer.

Nice website btw, I like the bird on the sheep (?)'s back.
11-18-2006, 11:16 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by skydragoness Quote
Hehe. You sound like me, I'm more visual w/ my adjustments that I am w/ the mathematical technicalities. The latter not being my strongpoint.

You'll certainly appreciate the ability to see your photos right after you take them, which IMO, only makes you a better photographer.

Nice website btw, I like the bird on the sheep (?)'s back.
thanks!

my budget is much more on the K100 rather than the K10, but the weather and dust resistance would be really good. decisions, decisions.