Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-14-2009, 03:51 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nikonians, like clocks, are right twice a day

Interesting little discussion happening on the dpreview D90 forum - someone (forum member here maybe?) asked about switching from Pentax--> Nikon. I expected a bunch of 'dump on Pentax' posts, but so far, some surprising sanity from the Nikonians has ensued.

From Pentax To Nikon?

10-14-2009, 04:43 PM   #2
Ari
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pretty cool. I was with a Nikon shooter Saturday. He pretended to try to throw out my k20. But then I gave it to him with my FA77..........he was pretty impressed.........
10-14-2009, 05:59 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Last nikonian I met was dirt bag to say the least
10-14-2009, 06:09 PM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wow - I'm impressed.
I was scrolling down to see the answers and one after the other they all said very sensible things, compelling this fellow to actually stay with Pentax by perhaps selling his 2 bodies to upgrade to the K-7.

Maybe photogs, amateur and pro alike, are realising that with the gap is closing between Pentax and Canikon in terms of body performance.

10-14-2009, 06:35 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Maybe photogs, amateur and pro alike, are realising that with the gap is closing between Pentax and Canikon in terms of body performance.
And this, in turn, highlights the incredible lenses you can only get in Pentax mount.

Example; I saw a 5D around a touristy-looking fellow's neck recently... with a silver 77 ltd on it. Little, tiny, eensy tinge of jealousy welled up in me.
10-14-2009, 06:44 PM   #6
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
Example; I saw a 5D around a touristy-looking fellow's neck recently... with a silver 77 ltd on it. Little, tiny, eensy tinge of jealousy welled up in me.
Smart guy...
10-14-2009, 11:23 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Nice to see them emphasizing lenses over camera bodies.

10-14-2009, 11:52 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have noticed my fellow nikon users coveting my FA31mm f/1.8, and my Pentax K 50mm f/1.2

One of my colleagues was drooling at the sight of a full frame camera but when she saw what the K-7 and the 50mm f/1.2 could accomplish, she was very impressed.
10-15-2009, 12:09 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sounds like the dpreview-folks just sold a K-7!
10-15-2009, 12:47 AM   #10
Forum Member

I just sold one of my lens to a guy who has a D300. He bought my lens without even having a Pentax body. So far, he's looking at a pre-owned K20D or a K7 to replace his D300.

His reason for shifting? The relatively more affordable prime lens line-up of Pentax.
10-15-2009, 01:00 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by yeatzee Quote
Last nikonian I met was dirt bag to say the least
Hmm... I've had nothing but good luck with Nikon owners. On the other hand, Canon owners, well,... Let's just say they tend to be in a class all to themselves.
10-15-2009, 04:41 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The differences in the brands is not in the low end lenses and bodies. There are some there perhaps, but it is the high end, very expensive, long glass that Pentax is lacking and there, two thousand dollars is going to be a drop in a bucket.
10-15-2009, 07:45 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Probably most of the comments are photographers who knw their thing.
Would it be right to recommend anyone change their system, cus of the brand?
Not really the wisest option without knowing exactly why.

"There are compelling reasons for some Pentax users to switch:
AF - Pentax is weak to put it mildly. The K7 is supposed to be an improvement, but I have no first hand experience there.
High ISO - the Pentax k10d is a few generations behind here, and the k20d/k7 are behind the d300s and d90 for high ISO.
Also, Nikon and Canon have a better - much broader selection of lenses, with more 3rd party offerings as well."

One poster posted this above, which I think is debatable.
I've taken shots at cycling events and martial arts demonstrations.
The AF has been good, I found. Can't really complain.

High ISO. Well, yes. My K10 doesn't do the best at night, but the K-7 is improved, and the K-x appears to be also.

Lenses?
Well, really does depend on what you're shooting, which surely you should have an idea of which lenses you'll need in any given situation before you start investing money into a camera company, no?
Pentax has me covered.
10-15-2009, 08:47 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I thought that was a really good discussion... nicely balanced without any bashing. I especially liked the advice the OP was given by one commentator: perhaps it's time to upgrade the photographer (by investing a lot of time in Photoshop, courses, etc.,) rather than "upgrade" the equipment. I will have to remember that whenever I am tempted by the new Canon 7, which has happened once already. I am going to keep that devil deep down in the hole.
10-15-2009, 09:21 AM   #15
Pentaxian

My most recent encounter with a NIkon shooter was at the Adirondack Balloon Festival and was pretty positive. There were hundreds of cameras as hot air balloons are a photographer magnet. I think we were the only 2 guys with fisheye's as when the ballon crews began inflating their balloons we were the only 2 guys moving closer to get our shots. He was using an 8mm prime. He liked the zoom I was using and was going to look into the Tokina version of the 10-17.