Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-15-2009, 09:34 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
broken clocks are right twice a day

if a clock is working but set wrong, it is never right :-p

Good thread.

Last edited by Eruditass; 10-15-2009 at 09:59 AM.
10-15-2009, 10:00 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
My most recent encounter with a NIkon shooter was at the Adirondack Balloon Festival and was pretty positive. There were hundreds of cameras as hot air balloons are a photographer magnet. I think we were the only 2 guys with fisheye's as when the ballon crews began inflating their balloons we were the only 2 guys moving closer to get our shots. He was using an 8mm prime. He liked the zoom I was using and was going to look into the Tokina version of the 10-17.
That's an issue with Pentax, IMO, that most of their zooms are available from Tokina as well. Sure, you don't get the SMC coating, weather-sealing or shake reduction, but still.
The limited lenses are really where it's at with Pentax. (says I, who don't even own a limited lens yet...)
10-15-2009, 10:19 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve Beswick Quote
Hmm... I've had nothing but good luck with Nikon owners. On the other hand, Canon owners, well,... Let's just say they tend to be in a class all to themselves.
Yeah, the last nikonian I met that I didn't previously know was ranting on and on about how terrible pentax was when we started talking about gear. He was so arrogant and oblivious it wasn't even funny. Ignorance truly is bliss

as for canonites, 90% of the ones I see are soccer moms/~16 year old girls in auto mode + kit lens/ tamron 70-300mm

The few I do see though that know what they are doing, have nothing but respect for pentax and actually understand every brand has its pluses and minuses.
10-15-2009, 11:00 AM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote

Interesting little discussion happening on the dpreview D90 forum - someone (forum member here maybe?) asked about switching from Pentax--> Nikon. I expected a bunch of 'dump on Pentax' posts, but so far, some surprising sanity from the Nikonians has ensued.

From Pentax To Nikon?

Ahhhh you guys found me... I have always been a Pentax users since I began taking pictures however I was tempted by the other side. After considering the price vs value of the two systems I am going to stay with Pentax. I was looking at some of the pictures I recently took with the sigma 70-200mm and found that they are as sharp if not sharper than most of the Nikon zooms that cover a range close to that and for 1/2 of the price. I am just going to upgrade to the K7 to help satisfy my want for a change. I think it was more of an out dated body issue than a glass quality issue. Anyways now that I am out of the shadows feel free to bash away for me thinking about switching systems

10-15-2009, 11:01 AM   #20
Veteran Member

INFIDEL!
10-15-2009, 11:04 AM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
INFIDEL!
haha I know, I know... its like I just got caught cheating on my girlfriend.
10-15-2009, 11:06 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by yeatzee Quote
... as for canonites, 90% of the ones I see are soccer moms/~16 year old girls in auto mode + kit lens/ tamron 70-300mm
OK, you put it out there, so I may as well take the bait...

What's wrong with a kit lens + Tammy 70-300? I see plenty of mediocre shots posted on this forum and others with 16-50 & 300 f/4. And I've seen quality shots with "kit" lenses. The lens has less to do with the shot that the photographer does.

10-15-2009, 11:24 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Ha, I have nothing against kit lenses (Pentax makes the best IMHO) or the tammy 70-300mm (great value for the money ), my point was more that these are people that take snap shots, not knowing really at all what they are doing/what their camera is doing. Lets face it, the tammy is a cheap lens which is why people flock to it (!!!). It gives most more than enough range, for extremely cheap.

I have seen some truly incredible shots with it, but it needs to be in the right hands. Like you said, its all about the photographer. Likewise, I've seen utterly terrible shots with it as with even the best canon/nikon/pentax/etc. lenses. (still yet to see a bad shot with the DA 300mm though )

its just a lens that is very common with people that are just starting out/soccer moms/16 year old girls like I said
10-15-2009, 11:42 AM   #24
Veteran Member

I've read the post at DPR, and it seems like the person is a neophyte in photography who hasn't really realize or upgraded his skills in taking good sharp pictures. I believe it is more of a skill issue rather than a camera and lens brand's fault. the thinking or perception that switching brand would make your pictures sharper or any better is faux. the fact that the OP's unawareness shows lack of research and is nothing more than motivated by false notions. I don't know which Pentax glasses what the OP was complaining about since he mentioned none, except for a Tammy and a Siggy which aren't Pentax glasses.

coming from Nikon, I'm aware that the middle an highend Nikkor lenses are excellent performers plus the build quality is great. I do hate it in the long run because it just gives too much weight to carry. they are sharp. although there are Nikkor lenses that are available that the Pentax doesn't have. same goes the other way.

about the Nikkor kit lenses, forget them and just throw them away. I'd say that the Pentax kit lens are better over them anytime of the day. but by saying that and inspite of that obvious advantage, I haven't really develop a satisfaction for the kit lens.

I do find Pentax lenses to be sharp and as good or better than the Nikkor in Sharpness (vice-versa depending on what particular lens). I could even produce darn sharp images from Pentax lenses that were deemed as soft-ish. although I admit that I found some lenses that aren't as good and not worth the purchase and which I don't want to have.

if there was any significant difference between the Nikkor lens and the Pentax lens, that would be the colors.

as mentioned by others here and at DPR, I suggest that the OP (at DPR) should invest on learning how to produce sharp images and better glass.
10-15-2009, 11:47 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vdubbin099 Quote
Ahhhh you guys found me... I have always been a Pentax users since I began taking pictures however I was tempted by the other side. After considering the price vs value of the two systems I am going to stay with Pentax. I was looking at some of the pictures I recently took with the sigma 70-200mm and found that they are as sharp if not sharper than most of the Nikon zooms that cover a range close to that and for 1/2 of the price. I am just going to upgrade to the K7 to help satisfy my want for a change. I think it was more of an out dated body issue than a glass quality issue. Anyways now that I am out of the shadows feel free to bash away for me thinking about switching systems
there you are. I don't mind you taking the switch, but you must know what you are doing.
10-15-2009, 01:02 PM   #26

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
I've read the post at DPR, and it seems like the person is a neophyte in photography who hasn't really realize or upgraded his skills in taking good sharp pictures. I believe it is more of a skill issue rather than a camera and lens brand's fault. the thinking or perception that switching brand would make your pictures sharper or any better is faux. the fact that the OP's unawareness shows lack of research and is nothing more than motivated by false notions. I don't know which Pentax glasses what the OP was complaining about since he mentioned none, except for a Tammy and a Siggy which aren't Pentax glasses.
I don't think I would consider myself a "neophyte" and I don't believe you could make the assumption that I was based on something I write. I have taken MANY sharp pictures with my current lenses, but I believe when I want to upgrade to something better than what I have Nikon has a better selection than Pentax. There is nothing wrong with what I have now but I just need a change and that will probably be me just upgrading bodies.

o yeah by the way I was NEVER complaining about any of Pentax glass I just said Nikon offers more pro-sumer lenses. But of course you can make more assumptions about what I said and my photography skills because it won't affect my decision.

Last edited by vdubbin099; 10-15-2009 at 01:21 PM.
10-15-2009, 02:13 PM   #27
Veteran Member

I don't think I would consider myself a "neophyte" and I don't believe you could make the assumption that I was based on something I write. I have taken MANY sharp pictures with my current lenses, but I believe when I want to upgrade to something better than what I have Nikon has a better selection than Pentax. There is nothing wrong with what I have now but I just need a change and that will probably be me just upgrading bodies.

o yeah by the way I was NEVER complaining about any of Pentax glass I just said Nikon offers more pro-sumer lenses. But of course you can make more assumptions about what I said and my photography skills because it won't affect my decision.
pardon me for the neophyte statement. honestly speaking, that statement is the most commonly used by neophytes, no offense intended.
10-15-2009, 02:28 PM   #28
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
I have noticed my fellow nikon users coveting my FA31mm f/1.8, and my Pentax K 50mm f/1.2

One of my colleagues was drooling at the sight of a full frame camera but when she saw what the K-7 and the 50mm f/1.2 could accomplish, she was very impressed.
There is actually a pretty good old vintage 55mm f1.2 Nikkor as well as a 50mm f1.2 lens out there. I have threatened to adapt the nonAI Nikkor to K-mount.

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
And this, in turn, highlights the incredible lenses you can only get in Pentax mount.

Example; I saw a 5D around a touristy-looking fellow's neck recently... with a silver 77 ltd on it. Little, tiny, eensy tinge of jealousy welled up in me.
Did you ask him how fast the AF was or how accurate? How did he like the Pentax shake reduction?
10-15-2009, 02:29 PM   #29
Veteran Member

haha I know, I know... its like I just got caught cheating on my girlfriend.
Ah with cameras you can marry as many times as you want. Like wives, the number you have is more to do with affordability....
10-15-2009, 02:35 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Nikon still offers their 50mm 1.2 Brand New

Nikon still offers their 50mm 1.2 Brand New

I've considered it, but since it use to sell for $459 brand new early last year, I am not eager to drop additional $240 on it now:

Nikon | NIKKOR Normal 50mm f/1.2 AIS Manual Focus Lens | 1435

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
There is actually a pretty good old vintage 55mm f1.2 Nikkor as well as a 50mm f1.2 lens out there. I have threatened to adapt the nonAI Nikkor to K-mount.