Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-14-2009, 04:01 PM   #1

What is better 10M / ** or 6M / *** for normal size photos ?

Hi, I am sorry if this is a stupid or too basic question, I am just trying to maximize the use of the SDHC capacity (I do not have a very big one).

From a file size point of view both options are very similar, what would you say is better to capture as much information as possible (without having to go RAW) with the best possible quality ?

- Increase the RESOLUTION (10M pixels) and decrease QUALITY (**) ?
- Decrease RESOLUTION (6M pixels) and increase QUALITY (***) ?

Thanks

10-14-2009, 04:28 PM   #2
Ari
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Go highest quality and pick up a few more sd cards. They're cheap
Here is a link to a good deal:
Kingston 8GB Secure Digital High Capacity (SDHC) Card - Class 4 - SD4/8GB - Buy.com
But there are lots out there. You have a great camera - use it to it's highest potential
10-14-2009, 04:30 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Agree with Ari, but of those two... depends on the complexity of the scene.
10-14-2009, 05:01 PM   #4
Pentaxian

For normal sized prints, do you mean 4x6 with the occasional 8x10? If so, 6mp on ** is probably lots of quality. It only takes something like 2.2mp to make a 4x6, so even 6mp is going to get downressed a lot.

10-14-2009, 07:01 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
More pixels will always yield the *potential* for more quality, all else equal (which it rarely is). That is, there is no important respect in which more pixels ever means *less* quality - at least not when we're talking about any curently existing DSLR's (if in the future soemone were to try to build a 2000MP camera, I'd suspect it might have issues). But you'd have to print pretty big before those extra pixels would make a *noticeable* improvement. And at small enough print sizes (like 4x6"), you're already throwing away far more pixels than you're using even with a 6MP camera, so the extra pixels in a 10MP camera don't help at all. On the other hand, if you need to crop out a section of your picture for printing, it is again the case that the more pixels, the better.