Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-15-2009, 01:13 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Broken K20D :(

Hi All,

Just returned from a 2 1/2 week vacation travelling around Argentina. Unfortunatly those pantagonian winds blew the K20D off the tripod, unfortunatly a rock made a direct hit with the rear e-dial, knocking it into the body.

Overview of the damage.
- Rear edial misplaced, can still be turned with effort but is basically unusable.
- Upper LCD screen cover popped out and cracked in half. Screen itself seems ok.
- Was surprised with this part... seems like the impact on the rear pushed the insides forward to such an extent that it broke the front of the body... there is a crack on the body below the flash... flash still closes if pushed down firmly.
- Camera does not turn on... on trying a flashing battery is seen on the upper screen... I did try and recharge the battery and try again but same flashing battery signal.

Made contact with the group handling the Pentax repairs for the UK. they suggested (with the info given above) that the main PCB was likely broken. and that the starting charge for fixing a Pentax DSLR is approx 160 GBP.

any experience in this type of damage and how much its likely to cost. Goes without saying that depending on the repair charge it may be better to pick up a new K20D body... or maybe a K7

On a positive note... this was the only dark cloud in the vacation... vacations were great... were very lucky with weather etc... and did manage some great shots (i think) before the K20D met its end... did have a backup camera (P&S Olympus), while not great at least we still captured the memories.

Thanks,
Paul

10-15-2009, 02:24 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Good you had a backup camera and the holidays where good.
Take the "excuse" and grab a k20d or the new K7 that is a joy
10-15-2009, 04:27 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'd say you are probably better investing in a new camera. It sounds like you would have the better part of a new camera in your repairs. Might as well start fresh.
01-11-2010, 05:18 AM   #4

Original Poster
Hi All,

An update on this... may be useful for historical purposes for anyone having similar issues.

I sent it in to Reflecta which handles the Pentax service in Spain (located in Barcelona). I dropped it off in person and had it sent back to me around 1 month later.

The issue was that the Main PCB was broken. They replaced this and by the looks of things also replaced the body/screen... only trace of the original is the serial number of the base... Costed 290€ including Tax, and an additional fee to ship back to me... As I understood from talking to them on the phone the 290€ is the standard flat fee for fixing Pentax DSLRs.

All in all, I was happy with their service and the quality of what they sent back to me... could always be cheaper... could always be faster so I give then 9/10. Would not hesitate in using the same service centre for any future issues.

01-11-2010, 08:02 AM   #5
Veteran Member

invest in a more heavyweight tripod for future travels.
01-11-2010, 08:50 AM   #6

Original Poster
I dont actually blame the tripod here... was kind of user stupidity.

It was very windy at the time...
I should not have used a tripod at all...
if using a tripod I should have hung a weight at the bottom of it...
ayay, what a great thing hindsight it... I was truely kicking myself just after this happened, thinking of all the alternative actions which might have prevented it... never did get to blame the tripod though.
01-11-2010, 02:28 PM   #7
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well glad that it all worked out good for you in the end.
Go out and enjoy your trusty K20D again.

01-11-2010, 02:45 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
That's a horrible story!

I had a very similar experience a few years ago with a bridge cam that we keep in the dash of our van. And it also smashed on the rocks and was unusable.

And so decided to never take my hands off the camera on windy days.
Funny thing is, it never happened again.
But I think it has more to do with my tripod setup than the camerra itself.

Anyways, I'm sorry for your loss
I would be devistated to say the least.