Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-15-2009, 11:29 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Another.....K-7 noise.....

Ok. By now i thought i heard every litle noise and squeek this wondefull camera makes. But sure enough....a new noise presented it self to me today. Actually i think this noise always has been there. You have to put you ear to the camera to hear it

I know....this is sooooo silly. But please....bare with me.

Its like this. I had my camera on a tripod, SR was off automatically because i was using 2sec timer, LV was off to. I made a 30 sec exposure. I was really close to the camera body and thats why i heard the very faint noise. It was sounding through the whole 30 sec exposure.

How it sounds? Well as im not the best in English its hard to explain it. But it reminds me of the sound "short-circuit".

Note. I was really close to the camera with my ear!

Im not worried about this as the camera works fine and the battery works fine to. And its probably not a "short" as something would surely die in the camera or at least smell or stop working.

But hey, just wanted to share my thoughts about Another strange sound. Im not asking anyone to verify this....but if you do, that would be good

10-15-2009, 12:12 PM   #2
GSk
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Probably just the shutter and mirror "motors" working to keep them up while exposing.
10-15-2009, 01:55 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by the swede Quote
Ok. By now i thought i heard every litle noise and squeek this wondefull camera makes. But sure enough....a new noise presented it self to me today. Actually i think this noise always has been there. You have to put you ear to the camera to hear it

I know....this is sooooo silly. But please....bare with me.

Its like this. I had my camera on a tripod, SR was off automatically because i was using 2sec timer, LV was off to. I made a 30 sec exposure. I was really close to the camera body and thats why i heard the very faint noise. It was sounding through the whole 30 sec exposure.

How it sounds? Well as im not the best in English its hard to explain it. But it reminds me of the sound "short-circuit".

Note. I was really close to the camera with my ear!

Im not worried about this as the camera works fine and the battery works fine to. And its probably not a "short" as something would surely die in the camera or at least smell or stop working.

But hey, just wanted to share my thoughts about Another strange sound. Im not asking anyone to verify this....but if you do, that would be good
Mine is doing the same. I guess we do not have to worry.
The 2 possible sources I was thinking about...
- forced (fan) cooling of the sensor chip.
- Shake reduction working full time.

= Bert
10-15-2009, 01:58 PM   #4

Same noise is present when you go to sensor cleaning mode,so it is definetely because of the mirror-lock mechanism.So nothing to worry about there.

10-15-2009, 02:51 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I believe that the sound is that of the sensor being charged. Normal.
10-15-2009, 08:35 PM   #6
Veteran Member

If its a very faint sound you can hear only by putting your ear to the camera during a long exposure, that's normal.

There's lots of little things working inside the camera during an exposure, and if its a long one, you can certainly hear some faint sounds arising.
10-15-2009, 10:17 PM   #7
Pentaxian

FWIW, you can't "turn off" shake reduction, you can only disable sensor movement. It wouldn't surprise me to find out that the mechanism makes noise even when holding the sensor centered.
10-16-2009, 09:39 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
FWIW, you can't "turn off" shake reduction, you can only disable sensor movement. It wouldn't surprise me to find out that the mechanism makes noise even when holding the sensor centered.
Thats a very "technical correct" statement there Wheatfield, im not stupid. Just cant explain everything in technical english. Sorry for the "turn off" but i think everyone knows what i mean by that. I guess i should have wrote "SR was not active because i was using 2sec timer". No hard feelings about it though you just made a fool of me

Anyways....nice to hear that its nothing to worry about. There might be someone else down the road having the same question and now theres an answer.
Thanks!

10-16-2009, 05:50 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Thats a very "technical correct" statement there Wheatfield, im not stupid.
swede, you misunderstood Wheatfield. He wasn't nitpicking with your wording.

What he meant, and I do agree, is that the sensor is kept in place by the SR "motor" even if SR is turned off (let's call it "static SR"). This may make a noise. If SR is powered off the sensor will fall "loose" and you get a noise when shaking the camera which you don't get in LV with SR off.

My educated guess actually is noise is coming from static SR, not mirror lockup or aperture motor. But I am only 90% sure. The fourth motor is the ultrasonic AA dust cleaner, the fifth the AF screw motor. Last noise source is charging flash capacitor. There is no sensor fan and a charging CMOS makes no noise either

Last edited by falconeye; 10-16-2009 at 05:59 PM.
10-16-2009, 07:44 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote

There was no malice intended with my post. Sorry if you felt that way.
10-17-2009, 02:03 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums

What he meant, and I do agree, is that the sensor is kept in place by the SR "motor" even if SR is turned off (let's call it "static SR"). This may make a noise. If SR is powered off the sensor will fall "loose" and you get a noise when shaking the camera which you don't get in LV with SR off.

My educated guess actually is noise is coming from static SR, not mirror lockup or aperture motor. But I am only 90% sure. The fourth motor is the ultrasonic AA dust cleaner, the fifth the AF screw motor. Last noise source is charging flash capacitor. There is no sensor fan and a charging CMOS makes no noise either
Wow....that is interesting to learn. So does turning SR "off" save that much power? Or??

A Flash Capacitor...is that kinda like a flux capacitor? Meaning we can use a K-7 tp travel back in time and save money on lenses...time to stock up on "old cash"... hmmmm...maybe that is why they burn old currency, to keep time travelers at bay, it's not to thwart funny money folks after all!!
10-17-2009, 02:57 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
No hard feelings about it though you just made a fool of me
There was no malice intended with my post. Sorry if you felt that way.
I know that you didnt mean it that way (see my smiley above) no need to apologise mate My reply wasnt clear about it, thats all.

Thanks for the input Falk!