Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-15-2009, 05:03 PM   #1

K20D - SR seems extremely loud

I just picked up a K20D on the marketplace last week and I turned on the shake reduction last night. To my surprise it was very loud if you move the camera around. I don't know if I'm just worrying about nothing and it's normal but it seemed odd. I previously owned a k-m so it didn't have SR. Am I crazy or is something wrong?

10-15-2009, 05:14 PM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-m has SR as well I'm sure.
The K20D's dust reduction can be activated at the switching on of the camera, as well as done manually - manually is is at supersonic speed and both sounds and feels more 'violent' than the one which is at startup.

Is this what you're referring to? Don't know about SR being loud when the camera is moved...

Last edited by Ash; 10-15-2009 at 06:50 PM.
10-15-2009, 05:18 PM   #3

Original Poster
I'm talking about the switch on the back of the camera. The k-m didn't have that. The switch was set to off when I got the camera. Last night, for the first time, I turned the switch on.
10-15-2009, 06:51 PM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The K-m may not have a switch but it does have SR.
Nevertheless, the K20D SR switch should not elicit any sounds or movements when either switched on or off. Nor should there be any sounds when it's engaged prior to taking a shot.

Don't know what's going on there.

10-15-2009, 07:35 PM   #5
pbo
Veteran Member

Ash is right. All the newer Pentax cameras have SR in them; that said, none of them will have an explicit noise as soon as you turn on SR. The noise is there when you take a picture (a moment after you fully depress shutter), or in live-view mode. So, if you're just moving the camera around - there should be no noise, unless you turn on live view.
10-15-2009, 10:44 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I fairly sure its normal

QuoteOriginally posted by cinaibur Quote
I just picked up a K20D on the marketplace last week and I turned on the shake reduction last night. To my surprise it was very loud if you move the camera around. I don't know if I'm just worrying about nothing and it's normal but it seemed odd. I previously owned a k-m so it didn't have SR. Am I crazy or is something wrong?
If you move the camera around on purpose with SR activated it can get kinda loud, its normal. During regular use holding the camera still taking a pic you should not hear much, but twisting the camera around and moving it semi-harshly will cause the SR system to work hard making noise. For example if I put on live view and have SR switched on, and move the K20D around like a steering wheel its very audible for sure. It could be hear on both my GX10s as well.
10-16-2009, 06:38 AM   #7

Original Poster
ok. thanks guys

10-12-2010, 06:42 PM   #8

Photos: Albums
SR causes noise on some older pentax DSLRs

I think this is true because I have a KX and have never noticed any noise (audible noise that is). I just picked up a used K100D and noticed that on relatively long exposures (.6 second) I hear a weird noise. The noise went away after turning off shake reduction. I tried this a few times so that must be it.
Hope this helps. (and I hope nothing is wrong with the camera I just bought
10-12-2010, 06:46 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have the K100 and a K20, both of which has SR, which I leave on all the time. I have never heard nor has it really ever bothered me - actually never thought about it.

10-12-2010, 07:41 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
no noise...my only gripe with SR is that it does not instantly activate.

Pentax should add in a mode where SR is on ALL the time rather then having to half press to activate it.