Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-01-2007, 07:05 AM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by -spam- Quote
Everyone keeps saying that "there is heaps of lenses available on the net" ie, B&H and yes, there is. But im a 17 year old with no credit card, a low paying job and LBA. My only source of buying lenses now is locally and its almost impossible.
I'm a 41 year old man, with a credit card, a low paying job, and the constant desire for acquiring more goodies (toys) that is seemingly inherent in the male DNA.

There are other ways of satisfying the urge than by plunking down what both you and I would consider huge chunks of cash for just-one-more lens.

The way I alleviate the jonesing is to go the M42 (screwmount) route. Lots of good quality primes out there at very affordable prices. One needn't have the absolute newest, auto-focus, auto-aperture, feature-laden lenses in order to thoroughly enjoy photography. The whole reason I chose to go with Pentax was precisely the ability to expand my kit via this low-budget route.

Another way I satisfy the craving for goodies to broaden my photographic opportunities is to not limit myself to acquiring yet more stuff to attach to a single camera body. Instead, I have branched out into vintage film equipment. I pick up various 35mm rangefinders, which generally have good-to-excellent optics on them, are great conversation pieces, which turn in some respectable images, which are fun to use, and....best of all....can very often be had for under ten bucks. I'm even branching out into medium format thanks to a 1951 Aires Reflex YII TLR, which cost me all of three dollars and is showing great potential (and is fun to use and the ultimate photographic conversation starter, I am finding). One day next week I expect to take delivery of a 1930s vintage Kodak brownie box camera, which I believe takes 6x9 images on 120 film.

True, there are additional costs associated with using film. But once I get set up for home developing of b/w film and get a bulk reloader and start buying film in 100 foot rolls, I expect the cost to drop drastically. At any rate, I can dabble in film a little at a time, just to provide a change of pace, and use the K100D and my collection of M42 equipment for shooting to my heart's content without worrying about the costs of shooting.

The point is, when budgetary restrictions are a prime factor, as they are for the two of us, there still exist other options within our meager means. Just a little food for thought.

Last edited by Mike Cash; 06-01-2007 at 08:49 AM. Reason: Jumped the gun on my age. Won't be 42 for a week yet!
06-01-2007, 07:10 AM   #62
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by skaktuss Quote
so, davemdsn, You think that future pentaxians will be those who live near adorama, b&h and some japanese?
Got news for ya.

I live in Japan and the situation for finding Pentax on store shelves here in Japan isn't much better than the situation everyone bemoans in other countries.

Have you ever seen those computer stores which have miles and miles of Windows-based computers on display, and maybe a single Mac sitting there like a red-headed stepchild? Same thing, but Pentax is the red-headed stepchild.
06-01-2007, 07:32 AM   #63
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I appologize to all on this thread. I guess I have been spoiled since I have been able to find the items I have wanted fairly easily and therefore not as understanding of the plight of others.

For me the issue has never been lack of Pentax glass, but lack of third party lenses in Pentax mount. There have been several Tamron and Sigma lenses that I would love to have but couldn't get in K mount. The lenses I have wanted but couldn't get have been out of my budget anyway so it didn't really matter.

I have actually looked at changing systems many times over the years, but nothing in the other systems have appealed to me enough to be worth the cost of changing. Pentax has always made such great cameras for the money that by the time you get something similar in features and build in Canon or Nikon you have spent a lot more money. At least that is my opinion. Also the really cool lenses that C & K offer I wouldn't be able to buy anyway.

For me Pentax is still the best camera system for the money. She has her faults, but so do the others. So again, I appologize for stirring things up. I only meant to bring a little optimism about finding great gear without having to leave a great system. We all need to follow our own path.
06-01-2007, 08:30 AM   #64
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by davemdsn Quote
For me the issue has never been lack of Pentax glass, but lack of third party lenses in Pentax mount. There have been several Tamron and Sigma lenses that I would love to have but couldn't get in K mount. The lenses I have wanted but couldn't get have been out of my budget anyway so it didn't really matter.

I have actually looked at changing systems many times over the years, but nothing in the other systems have appealed to me enough to be worth the cost of changing. Pentax has always made such great cameras for the money that by the time you get something similar in features and build in Canon or Nikon you have spent a lot more money. At least that is my opinion. Also the really cool lenses that C & K offer I wouldn't be able to buy anyway.
No need to apologize to me, Dave. I understood what you were saying and I agree with everything you've said. I just switched to digital SLR last year. I did a lot of research prior to making that move. I knew that Pentax has only a fraction of the market, and as a long-time Apple Macintosh user, I knew what that might mean in terms of getting "stuff" to go with any camera I buy. But my researches came to the same conclusion you've come to through your more extensive experience: that Pentax was the best overall option, in terms of price, quality and options. I still believe that and I'm not worried about the future of the Pentax DSLR "platform."

I do wish that more of those Sigma and Tamron lenses were available for Pentax mount cameras. As a bird photographer, this Sigma 300-800 makes me weak in the knees. As a real person who is not Bill Gates, however, the $7200 price tag is, well, let's just say that this isn't on my current shopping list.

I'm not unhappy with the lenses available to me. I understand that it really would be nice to have a 47mm f/1.4 so that I would not have to use my 50mm f/1.4 when it's clearly NOT the right lens for the job. But what I've got now seems adequate, and when it comes down to it, while I confess I am interested in shopping and in gear for its own sake at least to a degree, what I am more interested in is taking photos.

Will