Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-29-2007, 03:06 PM   #1

How much can I sell my Pentax system for?

Hello all,
I think I might be switching to Canon soon. I'd love to stay with Pentax, but I can't find as much used FA* glass as I can L glass. Pentax also isn't currently able to offer an 8fps body, whereas I can get a 6 year old can for $780. Not bad.

With all of that said, I'd really love to know how much I can get for the following gear:

Pentax K100D with all original accessories, mint condition
Pentax DA 18-55mm, also mint with accessories
Tamron 28-200 f/3.8-5.6, mint with accessories
(possibly) Vivitar 285HV, fairly raggedy, but perfectly functional.

If I do end up going Canon, I'll probably either sell on here or to someone in my locality. I doubt I'll have problems finding someone in the Chicago area to buy an almost new camera.

If it helps your "appraisals," I can post photos of the gear.

Thanks,
Will

05-29-2007, 03:14 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
My guess would be around $600 max for everything. Not nearly enough to even put a dent in the cost of a Mark II N. Used with 8000+ shutter counts they still go for about $2700 (I've been looking). Then you still have to get glass. I mainly shoot sports so I'm also in the market for a Mark II.
05-29-2007, 04:34 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Dont know how much you could put on it (im still trying to decide what price to put on my canon kit )

That 8fps body you are talking about would have to be a 1d/mkII/mkIIn and they dont sell for anywhere near that cheap. Used prices for the 1d classic (4mp ccd, 8fps) are still up around $1000 US.

Yoiu might be able to find a decent used 20d for around that from somewhere like b&h though. They are still a hell of a good camera. It does 5fps which is still nothing to be sneezed at.
05-29-2007, 05:09 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by -spam- Quote
Dont know how much you could put on it (im still trying to decide what price to put on my canon kit )

That 8fps body you are talking about would have to be a 1d/mkII/mkIIn and they dont sell for anywhere near that cheap. Used prices for the 1d classic (4mp ccd, 8fps) are still up around $1000 US.

Yoiu might be able to find a decent used 20d for around that from somewhere like b&h though. They are still a hell of a good camera. It does 5fps which is still nothing to be sneezed at.
Actually, the 1D classic is $780 at keh. That is body only, but I don't want or need canon's junky software or Photoshop 5.0 LE. That's also BGN, but as I've said, I could care less about aesthetics...

About the fact that the 1D is 4.1MP, I can't say that I'm bothered by this.

EDIT: Ooh, I just found a local seller with a 28-70 f/2.8L that he/she is selling for $600. I'll check what kind of condition it's in. If it's good I'll get that, sell the Pentax gear, buy an ELAN with the cash I have on hand, and pick up a used 1D and 70-200 f/4L with the next web design project I finish.

Last edited by wmmk; 05-29-2007 at 05:23 PM.
05-29-2007, 05:19 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wmmk Quote
Actually, the 1D classic is $780 at keh. That is body only, but I don't want or need canon's junky software or Photoshop 5.0 LE. That's also BGN, but as I've said, I could care less about aesthetics...
Wow. At that price, jump on it. Does it have a serial number listed? because the earlier 1d's had a problem with the shutter and it needed replacing, it should have been replaced if it is an older one.

I was also going to say that b&h have a 1d classic in what they say is pretty good condition for $1149 Canon EOS 1D Digital Camera

Also, for more used canon stuff take a look here Canon Digital Photography Forums
05-29-2007, 05:39 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by -spam- Quote
Wow. At that price, jump on it. Does it have a serial number listed? because the earlier 1d's had a problem with the shutter and it needed replacing, it should have been replaced if it is an older one.

I was also going to say that b&h have a 1d classic in what they say is pretty good condition for $1149 Canon EOS 1D Digital Camera

Also, for more used canon stuff take a look here Canon Digital Photography Forums
Hmmm...
There is a $170 (USD) price difference in different 1D's at Keh. The more expensive ones with CDs, cables, batteries, etc.

Should I be wary?

Link to keh's canon digital page
05-29-2007, 05:48 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hello all,
I think I might be switching to Canon soon. I'd love to stay with Pentax, but I can't find as much used FA* glass as I can L glass.
Hmmmph.

It seems to me that you're expecting the camera to make you something. Don't listen to those Canon photo journalists, make your own waves.

Good luck, be well, and don't believe most of what you hear.

--Sean

05-29-2007, 05:55 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by carpents Quote
Hmmmph.

It seems to me that you're expecting the camera to make you something. Don't listen to those Canon photo journalists, make your own waves.

Good luck, be well, and don't believe most of what you hear.

--Sean
Hehe. It's ironic that you say not to believe what I hear, considering that all the Canon photojournalists I know are extremely cynical and tell me that sort thing whenever they see me.

I don't expect the camera to make me a better photographer. If I did, I wouldn't be spending my whole summer taking photo classes and doing an internship with a top notch wedding/commerical portrait photographer. I simply understand that I'll have to upgrade equipment at some point, need to buy a 35mm body in the next week or so, and I can get much more for my money with used Canon gear than I can with newer Pentax gear.

That said, thanks for reminding me that the photographer is more important than his (or her) kit. I've admittedly been caught up in shopping around for lenses the past few weeks.
05-29-2007, 06:27 PM   #9
Veteran Member

that price at KEH is extremely good --having just gotten out of the canon system myself I noticed that a lot of the old 1D classics are getting sold without battery charger. the canon brand sells for about 250.00 I don't know if there are any after market chargers available. be sure and check it out as KEH usually lists all of the parts that come with used cameras
05-29-2007, 06:37 PM   #10
Veteran Member

You also have to bear in mind that the battery life for the old 1d classics is pretty poor. Its usually recommended to pick up a second battery for it. If it doesnt come with a battery or charger, then thats a couple of hundred more that you have to spend right away. Then there is what you will have to pay for new CF cards (not that expensive but every bit counts)

Just did some more looking and you can get a brand new 20d with full warrenty for $895. Its up to you whether that little bit more money brings peace of mind with a new camera including everything and a full canon warrenty.

Canon EOS 20D DSLR Body With USA Warranty (Lens Is Not Included)
05-29-2007, 07:12 PM   #11
Veteran Member

With all of that said, I'd really love to know how much I can get for the following gear:

Pentax K100D with all original accessories, mint condition
Pentax DA 18-55mm, also mint with accessories
Tamron 28-200 f/3.8-5.6, mint with accessories
(possibly) Vivitar 285HV, fairly raggedy, but perfectly functional.

Will,

I have a fair amount of experience reselling my stuff, through eBay and elsewhere. I sold my K100D AND the 18-55 kit lens for $481 in early March on eBay. That was a pretty decent price. You can buy the K100D with the kit lens for $470 right now at Adorama (after $50 rebate). You might get another $100 for the Tamron 28-200 lens.

Key thing is to do a good job with your eBay listing - good description, good photos, and it helps to have a good seller rating. If you have no experience with eBay, well, it's fairly easy to get into - but there is some skill involved as well as luck.

Be aware what all your stuff costs brand new and don't expect to make what it costs new - although you might get lucky.

Will
05-29-2007, 08:38 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Buydig is $50 less

QuoteOriginally posted by WMBP Quote
Will,

I have a fair amount of experience reselling my stuff, through eBay and elsewhere. I sold my K100D AND the 18-55 kit lens for $481 in early March on eBay. That was a pretty decent price. You can buy the K100D with the kit lens for $470 right now at Adorama (after $50 rebate). You might get another $100 for the Tamron 28-200 lens.

Key thing is to do a good job with your eBay listing - good description, good photos, and it helps to have a good seller rating. If you have no experience with eBay, well, it's fairly easy to get into - but there is some skill involved as well as luck.

Be aware what all your stuff costs brand new and don't expect to make what it costs new - although you might get lucky.

Will
The new price at buy dig and beach is $430. I'm in the market for one and wouldn't consider a used one unless it was at least $75 less than the new price, but that's just how I look at used.

regards,
05-29-2007, 08:45 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by regken Quote
The new price at buy dig and beach is $430. I'm in the market for one and wouldn't consider a used one unless it was at least $75 less than the new price, but that's just how I look at used.
Perfectly reasonable. I sort of expect that when I sell through eBay. However, it is true that a seller can get lucky. When that bidding starts, sometimes the eBay buyers get carrier away by the thrill of the chase. It's the genius of eBay. I've seen things sell for a fair bit more than the normal retail value.

At eBay you can put a high reserve on your item. That way, if the reserve isn't met, there's no sale. The problem is, buyers know when the reserve has been met. If it's not met early on in the low bidding, buyers sense that the seller has a high reserve - and that, in turn, discourages bidding. eBay's advice to sellers it to put the reserve as low as you can stand to put it. That means that you have to risk selling the item for well below what you hoped for. On the other hand, it also seems to produce the best results. That and other things like good photos, a good description, having a good seller rating, and so on.

I have not sold anything on Craig's List. I did list a Sigma 28-70 lens through Amazon's private seller program, but it didn't sell - even though my price was good. I'll be listing that lens soon on eBay and expect I'll do better there. I hate to part with the list, but I also have the Tamron 28-75 and I don't need 'em both.

Will
05-29-2007, 09:39 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I am with Sean on this one Will.

You should be saving your money.

The K100D is a fine camera to learn photography. For a film camera you should take a look at an ME Super or an MX. Either of these cameras are ideal to learn the craft. If you have a shop that you can go to to actually take a look at the cameras before buying them will give you a good idea what to expect.

Get several manual lenses like a 28mm f2.8, 50 1.7 or 1.4 and possibly a 100mm 2.8 (non macro) for portraiture. These lenses will work both on the Me Super/MX as well as the K100. If possible find these lenses in the A series as this series works better with the digital body. The 28 and 50 are excellent lenses for the price. The DA 40 limited is also a fine lens with great edge to edge sharpness that is very reasonably priced.

You can probably find this kit for less than the used 1D body alone.

Remember you are what 13. You are not a Pro so you do not need "Pro" equipment. Learn first with the basics.

With the money you save you can get something nice for your Mom and Grandmother.
05-29-2007, 10:17 PM   #15

QuoteQuote:
I think I might be switching to Canon soon. I'd love to stay with Pentax, but I can't find as much used FA* glass as I can L glass.
Pentax REPs should read this. And I abslolutely understand You.
Bodies come and go, but glasses stay. Pentax is just fooling their customers with low cost bodies. Glass is the most important, and how can amateur invest in pentax gear, if C lenses cost cheaper and are more available.