Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-15-2009, 06:51 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Where to get K20D?

Hi,

I have decided after a lot of researching & going back and forth to leap into a K20D. I ordered one from Ritz earlier today but then read a post here about them possibly being demo units! I went back to my order and read the fine print and sure enough it was clearly stated that the camera could be a demo with blemishes and all. So I canceled my order with Ritz. So now where do I buy one of these new? I have seen people here saying they could be had for around $600, but the only one I'm seeing new is from an ebayer in Brooklyn, NY who is selling them new for $689. I understand that he doesn't offer the Pentax warranty because he's not an authorized dealer. Should I be wary of this?

I've got my DA 18-55 WR lens, magic lantern guide, & SDHC on the way, so all I need is my K20D! And BTW I've been a happy Spotmatic user for years and I have a few M42 lenses I'm looking forward to using with the K20D. I've been lurking here for a bit and am really enjoying these forums.

Any thoughts?

Thanks a lot!

George
SMC Takumar 1.4/50
SMC Takumar 3.5/28
Vivitar Series 1 70-210

10-15-2009, 07:17 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
k20d

Hi and welcome,

You might be hard pressed to find a new unit since the K-7 came out and the price drop of the k20d.

I did a quick google shopping search and did find some new units, just be careful of pricing and condition of unit. The pricing has gotten out of control on both the cameras and some of the lens.

I do know that a local camera store here in St. Louis, MO called Creve Coeur Camera does have the k20d kits only, they do not have body only. If you ask they will take the kit lens out and reduce the price by $50.00.

Another option is to purchase a unit from a fellow forum member. I just did and got a great camera. I only considered units that had very low shutter counts and lots of warranty left on the unit..

Hope this helps....

Thanks,
Kevin

QuoteOriginally posted by gsrokmix Quote
Hi,

I have decided after a lot of researching & going back and forth to leap into a K20D. I ordered one from Ritz earlier today but then read a post here about them possibly being demo units! I went back to my order and read the fine print and sure enough it was clearly stated that the camera could be a demo with blemishes and all. So I canceled my order with Ritz. So now where do I buy one of these new? I have seen people here saying they could be had for around $600, but the only one I'm seeing new is from an ebayer in Brooklyn, NY who is selling them new for $689. I understand that he doesn't offer the Pentax warranty because he's not an authorized dealer. Should I be wary of this?

I've got my DA 18-55 WR lens, magic lantern guide, & SDHC on the way, so all I need is my K20D! And BTW I've been a happy Spotmatic user for years and I have a few M42 lenses I'm looking forward to using with the K20D. I've been lurking here for a bit and am really enjoying these forums.

Any thoughts?

Thanks a lot!

George
SMC Takumar 1.4/50
SMC Takumar 3.5/28
Vivitar Series 1 70-210
10-15-2009, 08:58 PM   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Oops--wish I'd known, I just returned a nice refurb K20D body to Best Buy in Signal Hill, CA today. It may yet appear on their website. The price was $499 plus tax, free shipping. It looked to be new, with original box. Just too much camera and too much weight for me.

I will be keeping the more compact K200D refurb that I ordered from the same folks one day earlier. I snapped a few test shots today in the waning light of evening and my wife's reaction was, "Wow! Nice camera." Exactly as planned.

The K20D was very very tempting, but once I got the chance to heft it, I knew it was not for me. The little K-x--now that is really something. I may have to sneak one past my wife at some point. Guess that means the white one is out...

Good luck finding the right K20D at the right price.
10-16-2009, 07:34 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery | Albums
ebay ebay ebay.

10-16-2009, 09:06 AM   #5

amazon seems to have it for 665. although its shipped and sold by Ritz Camera.
when you add to cart, it says New.
Amazon.com: Pentax K20D 14.6MP Digital SLR Camera with Shake Reduction (Body Only): Camera & Photo

check for the warranty though.
10-18-2009, 11:12 AM   #6

Just got one from Allabout Electronics, an Amazon retailer.
$700 plus shipping.
Also saw the Ritz site on Amazon which did say "new" - kid from Amazon assured me "New means New", and they would assist w/ return if otherwise. But, didn't trust Ritz after seeing what you saw...
I'm now in the process of verifying if loose/wobbly 4 way controller on back is normal - replies to my post this site say "normal" but a few say maybe not.
Not easy being a perfectionist....
10-18-2009, 05:42 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Hi,

I ended up getting one from one of the ebay stores. Brand new & sealed. I just got a bad vibe from the guy I talked to at Ritz. Hopefully everything should be here within a few days!

Thanks again!

George
10-19-2009, 06:32 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vodoc Quote
Oops--wish I'd known, I just returned a nice refurb K20D body to Best Buy in Signal Hill, CA today. It may yet appear on their website. The price was $499 plus tax, free shipping. It looked to be new, with original box. Just too much camera and too much weight for me.

I will be keeping the more compact K200D refurb that I ordered from the same folks one day earlier. I snapped a few test shots today in the waning light of evening and my wife's reaction was, "Wow! Nice camera." Exactly as planned.

The K20D was very very tempting, but once I got the chance to heft it, I knew it was not for me. The little K-x--now that is really something. I may have to sneak one past my wife at some point. Guess that means the white one is out...

Good luck finding the right K20D at the right price.
I may end up wanting a K20D by the end of the year, and that's a fantastic deal at $499. I went and checked BestBuy.com and they have the refurb K200D for $379

That's an incredible deal if you ask me, I could sell my body and kit lens and get that for around $125! That would be a nice jump forward, too. At that price I'll definitely have to consider the K200D again, there would certainly be things I'd miss, but that price is absolutely stellar and I could always leap up to a K20D or something down the line later on as well. Who knows.

Can I ask what the warranty information was on that camera?