Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-16-2009, 11:27 AM   #16
MSM
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
can you tell us whether the lensses are K or KA mount?

Some cameras meter differently with older lenses, from experience (I own *istD K10D and K7D) i can tell you that metering with K10D and K20D is not as good as other bodies for lenses that do not have an A position.,

This does not mean they can't be used, but you need to pay more attention to the histogram with these two bodies specifically
Lowell: Have you tried any Tak's with the K7? I agree that on the K10D the metering can be all over the place. I seem to add exposure compensation at some apertures and subtract at others!

10-16-2009, 12:00 PM   #17
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It never ceases to amaze me how everyone looks for something different in their cameras. I've actually been thinking of going in the opposite direction and switching to Nikon, but heck they both make great cameras but just offer different strengths.

I think the K20d is unmatched in IQ if you're willing to put some work in PP, but lacks AF speed and not as strong in JPEG output. Meanwhile, I think Nikon (and Canon) are stronger in both areas, but Pentax and Nikon are definitely the ones whose egonomics I favor, which cannot be understated.

If i'm lucky (and have the cash), i'll carry both systems and add a m4/3....
10-16-2009, 01:23 PM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Eruditass Quote
What makes it easier in manual mode? The K-x has digital preview, so that means real time metering, which the K-m didn't, and I believe that was the main gripe.
I believe you mean "optical preview" - that's the thing the K-m lacked that meant no real time metering. I suppose also the fact of having only one dial means M mode is one button push harder than with a two-dial camera, and of course the larger viewfinder on the two-dial cameras helps with focusing.

But for my money, the fact that the K-x has that optical DOF preview (and orientation sensor) eliminates the only issues that would have otherwise prevented me form buying a K-m (if I were in the market, which I'm not...)
10-16-2009, 01:38 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MSM Quote
Lowell: Have you tried any Tak's with the K7? I agree that on the K10D the metering can be all over the place. I seem to add exposure compensation at some apertures and subtract at others!
Not yet. I have been very bad lately. I have mapped out performance of all my lenses for my *istD and K10D, but have not yet done this since I got the K7 in May.

What I can advise is the following.

I don't need exposure compendation any more on my Sigma APO 70-200F2.8 EX when I use the sigma TC's, and exposure is very close with my SMC300mmF4 and SMC-F 1.7x AF TC on the K7D as opposed to constant 2 stop over exposur eon the K10D

But I have not checked it with any of my 3 M42 lenses, or any of my K lenses, so I have a lot of testing to do.

10-16-2009, 02:11 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Sell that Nikon... We need more Pentaxians in Adelaide (:
10-16-2009, 05:03 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kwetiaw Quote
Hi all

i got nikon d40 dslr and since i have lots of vintage k-mount lenses which can be used with pentax dslr like pentax k-x.

What are your suggestions such as which pentax dslr should i choose, etc?

I also noticed that pentax dslr uses AA batteries, is this normal? what about the performance?

Thanks heaps
can I ask what lenses do you have?
10-16-2009, 06:13 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kwetiaw Quote
I would probably get decent rechargeable batteries.
The right choice of AA batteries is crucial. Ordinary NiMH rechargeables don't work well for whatever reason.

Many in this forum including myself found Sanyo Eneloop to perform like a champ though.

Eneloop are marketed to keep their charge longer. But their real advantage is to keep their voltage level higher when decharged. K-m with Eneloops is good for a thousand images or so. Using live view on a K-x may shorten this a bit of course.

Pentax has added the option to use AA batteries in the K-7 grip. So, AA batteries are preferred by some having the choice actually.
10-20-2009, 07:49 AM   #23

You have lenses...if possible take them to a shop that stocks Pentax and try them out on the bodies they have in stock. Buy the body that works best with your present glass. That will save you a lot of aggravation.