Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-15-2009, 07:35 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Thinking to change from Nikon to Pentax

Hi all

i got nikon d40 dslr and since i have lots of vintage k-mount lenses which can be used with pentax dslr like pentax k-x.

What are your suggestions such as which pentax dslr should i choose, etc?

I also noticed that pentax dslr uses AA batteries, is this normal? what about the performance?

Thanks heaps

10-15-2009, 07:39 PM   #2
Veteran Member

The K-x is definitely a monster for the pricing. I believe it is normal for the K-x to use AA batteries. The performance of this thing is suppose to be really great. Just check out all the threads here about the K-x, it's said to be using the same Sony sensor used on the a500. Since it's a Sony sensor, it's gauranteed to have great high iso noise levels, some say it's even better than the K-7. The K-x will be a big leap from the D40 that you have, you'll be doubling from 6 to 12 megapixels, swapping over from CCD to CMOS to have live view and HD video recording, a gigantic leap to a better high iso image quality, and you will also have a larger range of lens selection.
10-15-2009, 07:53 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
The K-x is definitely a monster for the pricing. I believe it is normal for the K-x to use AA batteries. The performance of this thing is suppose to be really great. Just check out all the threads here about the K-x, it's said to be using the same Sony sensor used on the a500. Since it's a Sony sensor, it's gauranteed to have great high iso noise levels, some say it's even better than the K-7. The K-x will be a big leap from the D40 that you have, you'll be doubling from 6 to 12 megapixels, swapping over from CCD to CMOS to have live view and HD video recording, a gigantic leap to a better high iso image quality, and you will also have a larger range of lens selection.
thanks dave, that's what i thought as well

i mean the AA batteries upside is you can get it from the shops. I would probably get decent rechargeable batteries.

yep in terms of megapixel and live view and the HDR function plus the HD video. oh man... very very very very tempting.
10-15-2009, 07:58 PM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K-x is worth a very good look if you're after video and live view. Haven't yet had any reivews from users here but it's got to be an awesome entry-level contender.

If you don't like AA batts, you'll then need to consider the more expensive K-7 (or get a second hand K20D without video).

10-15-2009, 08:09 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I switched from Canon to Pentax as I too had older glass from my film camera....and I'm glad I did.

The K-7 grip can take both AAs and the proprietary battery. I prefer the proprietary over AAs but having the option is nice. Batteries seems to last a very long time in the Km but video might be a bit of a killer on the Kx. Battery life for the k20d and k-7 is very good....2 batteries and you're set.

I find the k20d or K-7 a little easier to use with vintage glass in manual mode than my wife's Km (haven't tried the Kx but I think it would be about the same as the Km). If you try it, let us know how you make out. There are a couple of tricks with the k20d/k-7 but once you know them it's quite easy.
10-15-2009, 08:15 PM   #6
Veteran Member

For me, AA is an advantage - cheaper charger, cheaper batteries, free battery upgrades (when rechargable gets better, like from NiCd to NiMH or NiMh to NiMh hybrid), shares batteries with flash, option to choose lighter longer lasting cold weather option (lithium, though not rechargable).

For others, it is a disadvantage - doesn't have lightweight / cold + rechargable in one.

I get 1200+ shots on my K2000 but I have settings to get better than average battery life.
10-15-2009, 08:19 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by smc Quote
I switched from Canon to Pentax as I too had older glass from my film camera....and I'm glad I did.

The K-7 grip can take both AAs and the proprietary battery. I prefer the proprietary over AAs but having the option is nice. Batteries seems to last a very long time in the Km but video might be a bit of a killer on the Kx. Battery life for the k20d and k-7 is very good....2 batteries and you're set.

I find the k20d or K-7 a little easier to use with vintage glass in manual mode than my wife's Km (haven't tried the Kx but I think it would be about the same as the Km). If you try it, let us know how you make out. There are a couple of tricks with the k20d/k-7 but once you know them it's quite easy.
that's it, im selling my nikon d40 for sure

10-15-2009, 08:57 PM   #8
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kwetiaw Quote
that's it, im selling my nikon d40 for sure
You'll find the upgrade quite significant from your D40.
But be weary of LBA (lens buying addiction) - Pentaxians are more at risk of this than Canikonians due to the ability to use all older lenses...
10-15-2009, 09:08 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
But be weary of LBA (lens buying addiction) - Pentaxians are more at risk of this than Canikonians due to the ability to use all older lenses...
Check out the Takumar club thread. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/31601-takumar-club-192.html ....or the K club.. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/29948-k-club-23.html .or the M club. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/27739-m-club-72.html...or the soviet club...https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/31430-soviet-lenses-club-18.html...or...
10-15-2009, 09:42 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
haha yeah i know that.
i already have 5 old pentax k mount lenses. im excited already now, cannot wait to finish work and sell my nikon d40.

what pentax im getting either k20d or newly released k-x depending how much i can sell my nikon d40
10-15-2009, 09:58 PM   #11
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Stop it! You're making it worse!
10-15-2009, 10:06 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Stop it! You're making it worse!
too late. oh no, beautiful!
10-16-2009, 09:54 AM   #13

The battery life with AAs seems pretty good to me. I'm still using the set that came with my Km, have been since late June. I'd estimate that I've probably taken about 500 shots and they're showing no signs of wearing out.

I don't use the flash, which might make a difference.

The lens buying addiction is a serious problem. I've ended up with four assorted AF zooms alongside the kit lens and keep scanning ebay for others. I tend to buy lenses that most would consider dirt cheap, for example my £60 100-300mm Pentax-F zoom was my most expensive to date.
10-16-2009, 09:58 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by smc Quote
What makes it easier in manual mode? The K-x has digital preview, so that means real time metering, which the K-m didn't, and I believe that was the main gripe.
10-16-2009, 10:02 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kwetiaw Quote
haha yeah i know that.
i already have 5 old pentax k mount lenses. im excited already now, cannot wait to finish work and sell my nikon d40.

what pentax im getting either k20d or newly released k-x depending how much i can sell my nikon d40
can you tell us whether the lensses are K or KA mount?

Some cameras meter differently with older lenses, from experience (I own *istD K10D and K7D) i can tell you that metering with K10D and K20D is not as good as other bodies for lenses that do not have an A position.,

This does not mean they can't be used, but you need to pay more attention to the histogram with these two bodies specifically