Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-22-2009, 06:42 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Since I already have a K110D and need new lenses anyway I can afford to wait for the deals to come around again

10-22-2009, 07:18 AM   #47
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm waffling now. I certainly had my heart set on a K20d. It looks like you can get a new K20d for $650 currently and the prices I've seen for K-X is $600-$650 (Someone said $550...who's selling it for that?)

So for roughly the same price new. Which is the better buy for someone who is not a professional by any means, but likes bells and whistles and has pretty good glass and likes pretending to be a professional in my own little world. I do shoot for the occasional client who is too cheap to pay for a professional photographer...as much as a try to talk them out of it. (Some product shots, office space, headshots, etc.)

• I read that the RAW lags in the K-X. I shoot a lot in RAW as I'm not a pro photographer, but a pro photoshopper! (Graphic Designer). Is it enough to be disappointing?
• I like the WS of the K20D, but I've been using my istDs in the snow for years with no real problems yet
• Video is nice, but 720 is only kind of appealing. My Casio shoots 1080. I can always throw that in my pocket
• The high ISO is nice, but as debated already, is it enough of a difference? I shoot a pretty wide variety. Indoors with good and poor light and a lot of outdoor nature and sports shots of the family unit

With all this said, I've been using a istDs for years and have been pretty happy with it. (Realizing it's limitations.) It has however started to act up recently and it's time to move on. So does it really matter? Would I be happy with either? Can my ego handle a camera that is "entry level", even though it seems to blow the doors off most in it's class?
10-22-2009, 07:32 AM   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by buster110 Quote
I'm waffling now. I certainly had my heart set on a K20d. It looks like you can get a new K20d for $650 currently and the prices I've seen for K-X is $600-$650 (Someone said $550...who's selling it for that?)

So for roughly the same price new. Which is the better buy for someone who is not a professional by any means, but likes bells and whistles and has pretty good glass and likes pretending to be a professional in my own little world. I do shoot for the occasional client who is too cheap to pay for a professional photographer...as much as a try to talk them out of it. (Some product shots, office space, headshots, etc.)

• I read that the RAW lags in the K-X. I shoot a lot in RAW as I'm not a pro photographer, but a pro photoshopper! (Graphic Designer). Is it enough to be disappointing?
Where did you read RAW lags in K-x??
QuoteQuote:
• I like the WS of the K20D, but I've been using my istDs in the snow for years with no real problems yet
WS is definitely appealing to me, but I may just get something like shutter hat/storm jacket/rainsleeve
QuoteQuote:
• Video is nice, but 720 is only kind of appealing. My Casio shoots 1080. I can always throw that in my pocket
The videos the K-x takes will look sigificantly better at 720p than your Casio at 1080p, look at some videos DSLR's have made, like in the video forum.
QuoteQuote:
• The high ISO is nice, but as debated already, is it enough of a difference? I shoot a pretty wide variety. Indoors with good and poor light and a lot of outdoor nature and sports shots of the family unit
There is a lot of discussion here:

K-x measurebation: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

QuoteQuote:
With all this said, I've been using a istDs for years and have been pretty happy with it. (Realizing it's limitations.) It has however started to act up recently and it's time to move on. So does it really matter? Would I be happy with either? Can my ego handle a camera that is "entry level", even though it seems to blow the doors off most in it's class?
You'll be happy with either. I know a lot of serious people are getting the K-x like me for its high-iso and faster burst (I like shooting sports), but K20D has a lot going for it too, it depends on what you want. I am also getting a 1.35x magnifier to aid with MF.

The K-x is a lot less crippled than the K2000, and even less than other brands entry levels. From the things I didn't like the K2000 about the K-x it gains 11-AF points (red light indicator is more of a beginner feature and I don't care that its gone - I select a point and never let the camera decide), a usable long exposure bulb mode (use a remote, click once to start, click again to stop, not possible on K2000), larger buffer (still small for RAW but I shoot sports in JPEG, everything else in RAW).

Things I miss.. well theres a lot in this thread talking about it.
10-22-2009, 07:42 AM   #49

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
These things are all relative. No doubt the K-x beats the other. The guy who is kind of the guru of noise measurements in Pentax-land - GordonBGodd, concluded the K-x is, in his words from the thread mentioned above, "the very best high ISO performance of any camera Pentax has produced to date". Sounds great, and it *is* great. But just a few post laters, he says there are "these differences are real but given our human logarithmic response, not so dramatic as one would imagine from just the numbers".

Which is to say, if you're in the business of looking at images at 100% and running statistical analysis on the RAW data, as GordonBGood is, you'll be able to see and measure an improvement. The question remains, how important is this in the *real* world, where we normally shrink our pictures down consideably so they fit on our computer screens, and print them at sizes and view them from distances such that these differences will be barely if at all visible.
I came to the same conclusion when i read the last bits he posted... which for me may still be a selling factor as i think i will possibly be using it for crops at 100% in the future... although the weather sealing and AF adjust are also arguing factors for me vs the k20d

10-22-2009, 08:41 AM   #50

Photos: Gallery
I am one of the guys who own a K100 D, and while I am not activly searching out a replacement I think there is quite a few of us that are. Whatever one gets today I think we are looking at a number of improvements that will be substantial to many peoples photography.
10-22-2009, 09:23 AM   #51

with bing cash back, and on adorama's ebay store you can get the black k-x body only for 550 shipped. i cant even find used k20d for under 600 right now. If you buy through newegg with 2% bing cash back its 589.00 for body only shipped... plus you get a nice quality free pentax camera sling bag.

10-22-2009, 02:14 PM   #52
Pentaxian

debate all you like the iso capability the NikonD90 is worlds away from "any" cam except the D700, 5D- regardless of shooting conditions

Having used both (D90/700), you can pretty much shoot with impunity up to 1600 iso and clean when viewed on a 19" monitor - even 6400 looks good.

Zero pp work required with re; noiseware etc

The release of the Kx is making me think of hanging around before buying a d90 for low light shoots

Dylan
10-23-2009, 06:44 AM   #53
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Eruditass Quote
Where did you read RAW lags in K-x?.
I can't find where I read this. It could have been on one of the threads here or one of photo.net forums. I've been reading probably too much stuff lately...

Either will be a vast improvement over my istDs.

10-23-2009, 11:26 AM   #54
Pentaxian

I can't find where I read this. It could have been on one of the threads here or one of photo.net forums. I've been reading probably too much stuff lately...
I suspect so. I can imagine that some random person found one thing to quibble about regarding the RAW images, although it's also possible you misunderstood what they were saying, and of course any assessment of image quality is going to be somewhat subjective.

Certainly the prevailing opinion is that the K-x has the best sensor ever put into a Pentax DSLR, probably the best APS-C sensor ever put into *any* camera, period. And best sensor means best RAW performance - it's only in JPEG where the camera manufacturer could potentially screw things up noticeably (and even then, it would be entirely subjective). So unless there is something *specific* you can see in the output that would cause you to think of the K-x as lagging in way whatsoever when it comes to RAW image quality, you should just put that thought out of your head.