Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-16-2009, 08:46 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Errgggh. K20D Vs. K-x

Hey guys, my apologies because I haven't been around here nearly often enough. This place makes me want to spend all my money and I literally have no money. But soon! I will have money again, and enough that I've decided why not get a new body and a new lens or two

Currently I'm shooting a Pentax K110D so any of the current bodies will feel like a giant upgrade, and I'll likely sell the K110D to a friend along with a lens (Maybe the kit lens and pick up the 16-50?)

So basically, since I haven't been around nearly enough lately I need help in deciding if I should go with the K20D or the K-x. Here are my pros and cons of each side so far...

K20D:
Two wheels
14.6MP
Custom functions
Lion batts
Weather sealing
3.0 FPS
Burst mode

K-x:
Smaller size
Face detection
Filter modes
AA
12.4MP
4.7 FPS

The things in the maybe pile I need some help with. It seems to me that the K-x may handle high ISO better which to me would be a GIANT plus. The other problem is, two wheels would be a big time plus for me, and batteries I can go either way...

Any other changes I should be aware of? I could even go for a K200D, but it stinks comparing it to even a K-x when you look at some of the features.

How would each camera handle low temperatures? What are the best prices on each camera? I could get a K20D used which would be nice, but to be perfectly honest, for someone like me it feels like they're very similar cameras as far as value is concerned.

Thanks for all the help everyone.

10-16-2009, 08:52 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
i've been kickin' around the same question, almost...
a new k20d, from a reputable e-store, is about 650 to 700 bucks...
with a 1yr pentax warranty...
refurbs, when available, are cheaper, but with a short warranty... caveat emptor, let the buyer beware..... ya never know what you'll get..
the k-7 body is about 400-500 more than the k20d, as new, but have got to believe that this price will drop in the next few months (we all hope), and would then it just make more sense to wait and pull the trigger so to speak on a new k-7 than the k-20???
i'm tending to lean that way.. primarily because, i, like charlie brown, have that dark cloud following me around... and if anything could go wrong with a used/refurb k-20, it'll probably be me.....
10-16-2009, 08:55 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
So the new K20D and the new K-x bodies are very similar in price. Where are you still seeing the K20D bodies available?
10-16-2009, 09:14 AM   #4

I was asking the same question in beginer's corner little bit earlier. Finally, k-x got me.

10-16-2009, 09:56 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tcpli Quote
I was asking the same question in beginer's corner little bit earlier. Finally, k-x got me.
I assume you have a K-x now then?
10-16-2009, 10:25 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I would get the K-x just because it's newer so it will have more support from Pentax, and also for the firmwares. The K20D is discontinued but it's not a bad choice at all. But with the K-x capable of going up to 12,800 ISO, most likely to have better high iso image quality, and newer technology. and whether this may be a big thing or not to you, HD video creeps into the K-x with just under 650 USD also.
10-16-2009, 10:35 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
All very valid points. Higher speed AF and higher ISO handling might be the clincher!

10-16-2009, 10:36 AM   #8

Ordered yesterday night.

QuoteOriginally posted by Buschmaster Quote
I assume you have a K-x now then?
10-16-2009, 10:38 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ordered yesterday night.
If I could, I'd love to hear your thoughts on it when it arrives! Welcome to the Pentax family.
10-16-2009, 10:49 AM   #10

Sure I will. But, do not rely on my opinion for I am totally new to this dslr/slr world.

If I could, I'd love to hear your thoughts on it when it arrives! Welcome to the Pentax family.
10-16-2009, 11:12 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Sure I will. But, do not rely on my opinion for I am totally new to this dslr/slr world.
Well, maybe I could return the favor by sharing some of my knowledge with you, if you need to know anything just go ahead and ask me.

I'm going to go take pictures fairly soon here and you better believe I wish I had a K-x and K20D with me so I could see what I like.

I think the K-x is the better fit for me. I don't take pictures professionally, I take them because I like doing it. And sure I can shoot in manual, and everything, but the K-x would be a better fit for my family and girlfriend as well.
10-16-2009, 12:12 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

but the K-x would be a better fit for my family and girlfriend as well.
I'm really not trying to change your mind, as I really like what I've been hearing about the K-x, just thought I would share a little bit of a recent vacation experience. My husband is only mildly interested in taking pictures and hardly anything about photography. He's never owned a camera in his life, but he occasionally picks up my back-up camera when we are on vacation and points it and shoots. I recently upgraded a K20 to the K-7 and on this vacation I gave the K20 to my husband to play with. I put it in P mode, put a lens on it (he used either the 55-300 or 50-135, depending on the weather) and he had no trouble at all getting good shots. Of course, I was there when he ran across something he was clueless about, so I could trouble-shoot the situation, but that only happened a couple of times. That convinced me that getting a "lesser" camera so a girlfriend etc. can use it occasionally isn't as necessary as I had originally thought.
10-16-2009, 01:13 PM   #13
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Indeed, it won't matter too much which camera the novice has to pick up - P and green modes are on each camera...

It's ergonomics, weight and output features (like video) that will ultimately determine what's best for you, your g/f and whoever else will regularly use it.
10-16-2009, 01:17 PM   #14
Veteran Member

K20D:
Two wheels
14.6MP
Custom functions
Lion batts
Weather sealing
3.0 FPS
Burst mode

K-x:
Smaller size
Face detection
Filter modes
AA
12.4MP
4.7 FPS
Not a bad list, but it leaves out probably the two big obvious differences: viewfinder (in favor of K20D) and video (in favor of K-x).

As for high ISO performance, I wouldn't expect much if any real world difference between either of these and your K110D. Noise is *primarily* dependent on sensor size, and really, differences between cameras of a given sensor size are practically negligible in comparison - at least, once you account for differences in the particular JPEG processing options that might have been used.
10-16-2009, 04:13 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mtngal Quote
I'm really not trying to change your mind, as I really like what I've been hearing about the K-x, just thought I would share a little bit of a recent vacation experience. My husband is only mildly interested in taking pictures and hardly anything about photography. He's never owned a camera in his life, but he occasionally picks up my back-up camera when we are on vacation and points it and shoots. I recently upgraded a K20 to the K-7 and on this vacation I gave the K20 to my husband to play with. I put it in P mode, put a lens on it (he used either the 55-300 or 50-135, depending on the weather) and he had no trouble at all getting good shots. Of course, I was there when he ran across something he was clueless about, so I could trouble-shoot the situation, but that only happened a couple of times. That convinced me that getting a "lesser" camera so a girlfriend etc. can use it occasionally isn't as necessary as I had originally thought.
This was seen as a supplement "pro" rather than one I would actually count.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Indeed, it won't matter too much which camera the novice has to pick up - P and green modes are on each camera...

It's ergonomics, weight and output features (like video) that will ultimately determine what's best for you, your g/f and whoever else will regularly use it.
I'm used to a K110D, but can shoot whatever you put in my hands just fine. I'm pretty flexible in that regard.

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Not a bad list, but it leaves out probably the two big obvious differences: viewfinder (in favor of K20D) and video (in favor of K-x).

As for high ISO performance, I wouldn't expect much if any real world difference between either of these and your K110D. Noise is *primarily* dependent on sensor size, and really, differences between cameras of a given sensor size are practically negligible in comparison - at least, once you account for differences in the particular JPEG processing options that might have been used.
I would have to disagree with this. I feel like there are giant differences in high ISO handling between the K110D and the K-x. The JPEG processing is likely the biggest factor, but it is a giant factor in this particular instance.