Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-17-2009, 02:28 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Measurebation with my new K-x

So I received my K-x today. Just in time for the Pentax World SyncSnap as well as my Livejournal photo challenge. I could not have done this photoshoot at the top of the Sears Tower (now Willis Tower) with my old K2000. The high ISO performance was a distinct improvement, and the manual focusing of my tilt lens using live view was awesome! Overall, I'm really impressed with the K-x coming from the K2000.

After I got home, I took a bunch of pictures with the K-x and my old K2000 to compare their white balance and high ISO performance. Check out the "measurebation" set here: flickr link

Last edited by devorama; 10-17-2009 at 02:35 AM.
10-17-2009, 02:44 AM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Cool. And thanks for sharing this quick test.
Of interest is the difference between tungsten results. Didn't think it would contrast that much.
The AWB is a definite improvement.
Looks like a fine camera.
10-17-2009, 02:45 AM   #3
ogl
Banned

can you show us the full-sized pictures converted from RAW to jpeg with any good fixed lens?

1. what about speed in RAW? after 5 shots in RAW - what then?
2. what batteries do you use?

Last edited by ogl; 10-17-2009 at 02:58 AM.
10-17-2009, 03:47 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
can you show us the full-sized pictures converted from RAW to jpeg with any good fixed lens?

1. what about speed in RAW? after 5 shots in RAW - what then?
2. what batteries do you use?
For shooting in RAW, I got similar results with my Class 4 and Class 6 SDHC cards, so I think the limiting factor is the speed of the buffer flush.

For DNG, after the first fast 5 shots, it paused about a second, then it took about 1 shot per second, but at somewhat irregular intervals. Sometimes two quickly and then a longer pause, sometimes 1 per second.

Interstingly enough, the PEF files were slower. Still 5 quick shots, but then maybe 1.4 seconds per shot. I guess it has to compress the data before it can store on the card?

I'm using the Lithium batteries it came with right now, but I will use my rechargable Duracell slow discharge NiMh after that.

I took a bunch of controlled RAW shots, but I left the CD with the new version of the Pentax software at my office, and the old Photo Browser and Photo Laboratory won't open these PEF or DNG files! I will try to process them later with UFRaw.

5 frames quickly, then about a 1 second pause, then about 1 shot per second. This was with PEF or DNG on a Class 6 SDHC card

10-17-2009, 04:06 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Guys can you please confirm / deny that k-x doesnt have per lens AF adjustment feature?
10-17-2009, 10:12 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ilya80 Quote
Guys can you please confirm / deny that k-x doesnt have per lens AF adjustment feature?
I don't see any mention of this in the camera menus or in the printed manual, so I'm guessing it's not possible without some firmware hacking.
10-17-2009, 10:45 PM   #7
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by devorama Quote

Interstingly enough, the PEF files were slower. Still 5 quick shots, but then maybe 1.4 seconds per shot. I guess it has to compress the data before it can store on the card?
K20D is the same. DNG is faster than PEF.

10-18-2009, 02:10 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
I added some more test shots to my flickr page.

The flower shots were taken with my Pentacon 6 mount Zeiss Flektogon 50mm at F/8. That's the sharpest lens I have. They were also taken with a tripod to minimize shake.
10-18-2009, 03:01 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Thanks a lot for additional shots. Clearly shows what the camera is capable of. For me ISO3200 is on the edge of usability and probably as far as I could go with it.
10-18-2009, 04:07 AM   #10
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Great stuff.
Seems the K-x is a contender in the entry-level market.
Speed is comparable to other cams in its range, and high ISO performance reasonably impressive.
Thanks for sharing this info.
10-18-2009, 06:57 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
could you tell a word on a sound of taking shots, which one is louder or more silent, is the difference noticable?

thanks
10-18-2009, 08:25 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I added some more test shots to my flickr page.

The flower shots were taken with my Pentacon 6 mount Zeiss Flektogon 50mm at F/8. That's the sharpest lens I have. They were also taken with a tripod to minimize shake.

Excellent controlled shots! Nice low contrast detail shots with easy comparison images - better than some review sites.

Your dog is quite the tired one

Last edited by Eruditass; 10-18-2009 at 08:30 AM.
10-18-2009, 01:59 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Good, useful shots and looks like a great lens too.

The K-x is shaping up well as my street shooter to-be. Mated up to something like the 40mm pancake it should be great in that role.
10-18-2009, 02:24 PM   #14
MCR
Inactive Account

So I received my K-x today. Just in time for the Pentax
Hi, thanks for sharing.
Could you tell a word about AF speed ? Better than K2000 ?
10-18-2009, 02:29 PM   #15
Veteran Member

While we are on the subject of K-x measurebating, these are a excellent series of K-x ISO test shots from a French photo site, with JPG and DNG images available for download too.

Test Pentax K-x : gestion du bruit électronique

I'm quite impressed with the colour and detail retained even in the 3200 ISO JPG shots, under what certainly looks like less than ideal lighting.