Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-17-2009, 06:45 PM   #1
Site Supporter
skid2964's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 603
Is Pentax providing a cable shutter-release jack on the K-x?

The K2000 doesnt have one, one reason I traded up to the K20, now, this K-x may have better high ISO performance which is the main reason I traded up!

But I'm curious about the shutter release jack. The specs on the Pentax website are a bit unclear on this feature.

10-17-2009, 07:08 PM   #2
Veteran Member
Eruditass's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,206
Given that it shares the K2000 body, I don't think so - which majorly sucks, but I'm getting one anyway.
10-17-2009, 07:36 PM   #3
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Western Canada
Posts: 4,114
I have both the K10D and the KM (K2000) cameras. There is no shutter release button on either camera that I know of. You need to buy the Pentax electronic shutter release unit...about $ 30 Cdn.

I use it for both my K10D and KM...works well.
10-17-2009, 09:09 PM   #4
Site Supporter
skid2964's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 603
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I have both the K10D and the KM (K2000) cameras. There is no shutter release button on either camera that I know of. You need to buy the Pentax electronic shutter release unit...about $ 30 Cdn.

I use it for both my K10D and KM...works well.
Yes, I agree that remote works well.... but as far as I know, it does not offer the ability to activate bulb remotely. That's the functionality I am looking for.

10-17-2009, 09:12 PM   #5
Damn Brit
Guest




Maybe there'll be a firmware update for it.
10-17-2009, 09:45 PM   #6
Site Supporter
skid2964's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 603
Original Poster
I found more info.... NO, it does not have a jack for a cable switch.

But..... it does have a "continuous" mode with the IR remote.
10-17-2009, 10:01 PM   #7
Pentaxian
philbaum's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Port Townsend, Washington State, USA
Posts: 3,659
QuoteOriginally posted by skid2964 Quote
Yes, I agree that remote works well.... but as far as I know, it does not offer the ability to activate bulb remotely. That's the functionality I am looking for.
I'm confused about the terminology, and i'd like to do night exposures longer than 30 sec., e.g. bulb mode.

I found this electronic remote control switch on ebay from a Hong Kong vendor:

Timer Shutter Cable for Pentax K20D K200D K10D K100D - eBay (item 250510116482 end time Nov-05-09 22:13:56 PST)

It uses a 2.5mm jack connection and the description talks about bulb functions. The description also says that it single shutter, as well as periodic shutter actuations over a period of time up to 99 hours, etc. It says the electronic switch works with the K10/20 and the K100/200.

So won't this work for me in controlling bulb functions remotely (i.e comes iwth 3 feet of cord roughly)

Any clarity appreciated :-)
10-18-2009, 06:37 AM   #8
Veteran Member
tomtor's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 382
QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
I'm confused about the terminology, and i'd like to do night exposures longer than 30 sec., e.g. bulb mode.

I found this electronic remote control switch on ebay from a Hong Kong vendor:

Timer Shutter Cable for Pentax K20D K200D K10D K100D - eBay (item 250510116482 end time Nov-05-09 22:13:56 PST)

It uses a 2.5mm jack connection and the description talks about bulb functions. The description also says that it single shutter, as well as periodic shutter actuations over a period of time up to 99 hours, etc. It says the electronic switch works with the K10/20 and the K100/200.

So won't this work for me in controlling bulb functions remotely (i.e comes iwth 3 feet of cord roughly)

Any clarity appreciated :-)
Those cords are indeed for the earphone type jack on the K10/20 and will not work on the K-X.

You'll need an infrared remote to operate the K-X.

I have the Pentax one which is very small, but it's nice to use on my K10.

I believe the K-7 has a new mode in which the first click opens the shutter
and the second click closes it again, so you can use it instead of a cable remote with lock. I assume the K-X has this same feature.

Note that other infrared remotes can also operate your camera.

You can buy dedicated ebay ones, but you might also try the buttons from your TV or an universal remote. I read somewhere that this works for some types.

10-18-2009, 08:18 AM   #9
Veteran Member
Eruditass's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,206
QuoteOriginally posted by tomtor Quote

I believe the K-7 has a new mode in which the first click opens the shutter
and the second click closes it again, so you can use it instead of a cable remote with lock. I assume the K-X has this same feature.
that is awesome - if it has this, I am very happy.
10-19-2009, 09:18 AM   #10
New Member




Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Belfast
Posts: 7
If you have to push the shutter release to open and close the shutter, does this mean that you are likely to introduce camera shake?

Or do you mean this function is available in the remote control?
10-19-2009, 09:23 AM   #11
Site Supporter
skid2964's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 603
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TBSteve Quote
If you have to push the shutter release to open and close the shutter, does this mean that you are likely to introduce camera shake?

Or do you mean this function is available in the remote control?
The bulb function is now available with the IR remote control. Click it twice and the shutter stays open.
Good enough for me....
10-19-2009, 09:25 AM   #12
Veteran Member
Eruditass's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,206
QuoteOriginally posted by TBSteve Quote
If you have to push the shutter release to open and close the shutter, does this mean that you are likely to introduce camera shake?

Or do you mean this function is available in the remote control?
I assume it means either (remote control effectively is the same as pushing the shutter release button).

Holding it down is possible but not practical for 10 minute + exposures. And actually, the ebay remote I have doesn't work with holding it down, but should work with clicking once to open and once to close.
10-19-2009, 11:27 AM   #13
Veteran Member
tomtor's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 382
QuoteOriginally posted by Eruditass Quote
I assume it means either (remote control effectively is the same as pushing the shutter release button).

Holding it down is possible but not practical for 10 minute + exposures. And actually, the ebay remote I have doesn't work with holding it down, but should work with clicking once to open and once to close.
If I was not clear, I indeed meant using the IR remote control.

It's on page 86 of the K-7 manual, function 17:
------------------8<-------------------------------
While using the remote control in
p (Bulb) mode, sets whether to start
exposure with a press and stop it with
another press of the release button on
the remote control, or to keep the shutter
open as long as the release button on
the remote control is kept pressed.
------------------8<--------------------------------

It would be nice if the X-P manual got online...
10-21-2009, 07:06 AM   #14
Veteran Member
farfisa's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toronto, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,274
QuoteOriginally posted by tomtor Quote
If I was not clear, I indeed meant using the IR remote control.

It's on page 86 of the K-7 manual, function 17:
------------------8<-------------------------------
While using the remote control in
p (Bulb) mode, sets whether to start
exposure with a press and stop it with
another press of the release button on
the remote control, or to keep the shutter
open as long as the release button on
the remote control is kept pressed.
------------------8<--------------------------------

It would be nice if the X-P manual got online...
Yeah, I wouldn't assume that would be an included feature on the K-x though--they do like to keep a gap between their consumer and prosumer bodies, and sometimes they get rid of the tiniest little things!
10-21-2009, 08:53 AM   #15
Veteran Member
Eruditass's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,206
heh, Pentax sent me wrong information:

QuoteQuote:
Thank you for contacting Pentax.

The mode you are referring to was called T mode on the older Pentax leaf shutter or view cameras. In T mode you could have the shutter stay open until you depressed the shutter button a second time. This mode is not available on any of our dslrs. Because the K-x is designed as an entry level dslr it will not accommodate using a cable switch release like our CS-205.

If you are in need of further assistance, please respond to this email or call our technical support center at 800-877-0155.

Sincerely,
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Pentax Imaging Technical Support

Your Email:
Is it possible to use bulb mode with long exposures without having to hold down the shutter release?

I noticed there is no jack so a cable release with a timer is not
possible. I know I can hold down an IR remote or the shutter on the
camera, but I have heard of an option on other Pentax cameras to have the first shutter press start bulb mode, and the second one stop it. Is this possible on the K-x or are long shutters supposed to be difficult on the K-x?
I responded with how the K-7 has this custom option. I can only hope that the k-x has this option!
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, dslr, pentax, photography, reason
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Locking/Latching Shutter Release Cable dosdan Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 4 12-28-2009 10:06 PM
Shutter release cable... Raptorman Pentax DSLR Discussion 18 11-16-2009 02:08 PM
CS-205 shutter release cable and the K20D RHN12 Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 2 09-19-2009 10:54 AM
Shutter release cable for stop motion photos? Shogo Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 10 05-15-2009 07:14 PM
Got the shutter release cable... mediaslinky Pentax DSLR Discussion 0 05-01-2008 06:07 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:58 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top