Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-19-2009, 09:29 PM   #16
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 923
The K-7 High-ISO performance from RAW is as good as the competition in its range.
I've known that from the day I got the camera, but the dPreview article pretty much concurs.

Once developed, with NR applied to my taste, I have no problems using it at ISO1600 , even ISO3200 at full screen or printed out. Even ISO6400 is usable if you are just posting downsized shots in Flickr or e-mailing postcards to friends and family.

The in-camera JPEG output isn't good above ISO800 , and I don't like the in-camera NR processing - its either too noisy or with Strong NR, a lot of detail is lost.

10-20-2009, 05:25 AM   #17
Veteran Member
falconeye's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Munich, Alps, Germany
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,863
The high ISO performance of the K-7 sensor is competitive. The high ISO performance of the firmware's noise reduction algorithm is not.

Maybe, we have seen an improvement delivered by the K-x here, to be brought to the K-7 via a firmware upgrade. This would be nice. I doubt it though. Because NR is computing intensive and probably closely tied to the PrimeII processor. But maybe it is more flexible than I think
10-20-2009, 07:48 AM   #18
Veteran Member




Join Date: May 2009
Location: Knoxville, Tennessee
Photos: Albums
Posts: 842
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
The high ISO performance of the K-7 sensor is competitive. The high ISO performance of the firmware's noise reduction algorithm is not.

Maybe, we have seen an improvement delivered by the K-x here, to be brought to the K-7 via a firmware upgrade. This would be nice. I doubt it though. Because NR is computing intensive and probably closely tied to the PrimeII processor. But maybe it is more flexible than I think
Well, the K-x and K-7 are both PRIME II, so they should offer similar computing power (but yeah, I wouldn't expect the K-7 to be able to outperform the K-x's noise reduction given that it has identical processing power and a higher-res sensor with smaller photodiodes.)
10-20-2009, 11:52 AM   #19
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Russia
Posts: 343
If they could buy noise reduction from Panasonic, it'll real shock :-) As it is much better then Samsung and Pentax pathetic attempts.

10-21-2009, 08:36 PM   #20
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Texas
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,430
QuoteOriginally posted by Krg Quote
Now in Paris the "Salon de la Photo", it runs a rumor of new firmware for the K-7 (noise reduction ?)...
Supposed date October 20 ?
Any news of the firmware update?
10-21-2009, 08:38 PM   #21
Senior Member
brosen's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: US
Posts: 183
Firmware 1.02 is out there:

Latest K-7 Firmware Update : Software Downloads : PENTAX
10-21-2009, 08:51 PM   #22
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 923
Thanks for the link...

As usual, Pentax hardly lets on anything about what they actually changed in the Firmware.
Anyway, time to download and test it out....
10-21-2009, 10:11 PM   #23
Veteran Member




Join Date: May 2009
Location: Knoxville, Tennessee
Photos: Albums
Posts: 842
QuoteOriginally posted by kittykat46 Quote
Thanks for the link...

As usual, Pentax hardly lets on anything about what they actually changed in the Firmware.
Anyway, time to download and test it out....
I'm curious to see what anybody else notices - I'm pretty busy tonight, so will hold off on applying the firmware myself for the moment.

10-22-2009, 04:22 AM   #24
New Member




Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Romania, Bucharest
Posts: 12
QuoteQuote:
* Added [Fine Sharpness 2] which makes image outlines even sharper than [Fine Sharpness] to the Sharpness setting of Custom Image. How to select [Fine Sharpness 2], Click Here
* Improved total image processing performance at the particular shooting condition or setting such as preview image quality at the "Water Color & Pastel" of Digital Filter mode.
* Improved stability for general performance such as with Battery Grip D-BG4, the rear e-dial may rarely become unstable in particular shooting condition.
There are no visible changes, in my opinion. Who uses Fine Sharpness and why was the any need for Fine Sharpness 2? I was hoping for improvement of the performance of the AF assist lamp, a custom function for centering AF point, the option to turn on at will the lighting of the top LCD. These two features (AF assist lamp and top LCD light) are rendered almost useless by the current mode of operation. And let's not forget that annoying status screen that comes back on each time you turn on the camera or when it's woken from stand-by, again useless if you are forced to leave it always off... Makes me wonder, was the K-7 designed by engineers or by the marketing guys?
10-22-2009, 04:39 AM   #25
Site Supporter
clover's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Near Paris
Posts: 141
anybody really tryed it ?
10-22-2009, 04:54 AM   #26
Veteran Member
netuser's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Azores Islands, Portugal
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,241
Can someone try new firmware with high iso when using jpeg engine ?
Let's see is there are any improvements there ....
10-22-2009, 05:03 AM   #27
Zav
Pentaxian
Zav's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,339
QuoteOriginally posted by minator Quote
There are no visible changes, in my opinion. Who uses Fine Sharpness and why was the any need for Fine Sharpness 2? I was hoping for improvement of the performance of the AF assist lamp, a custom function for centering AF point, the option to turn on at will the lighting of the top LCD. These two features (AF assist lamp and top LCD light) are rendered almost useless by the current mode of operation. And let's not forget that annoying status screen that comes back on each time you turn on the camera or when it's woken from stand-by, again useless if you are forced to leave it always off... Makes me wonder, was the K-7 designed by engineers or by the marketing guys?
There's a real change: the rear dial of the grip now works!
10-22-2009, 08:53 AM   #28
Pentaxian
jgredline's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: LosAngeles, Ca.
Photos: Albums
Posts: 10,587
QuoteOriginally posted by kittykat46 Quote
Thanks for the link...

As usual, Pentax hardly lets on anything about what they actually changed in the Firmware.
Anyway, time to download and test it out....
I agree with you on this. I have learned that Pentax always does allot more than they say to fix bugs. I downloaded it and will test it at lunch time. I hope they did something with the noise problem.
10-22-2009, 08:55 AM   #29
Veteran Member
netuser's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Azores Islands, Portugal
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,241
QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
........I hope they did something with the noise problem.
I hope that too
10-22-2009, 09:36 AM   #30
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Texas
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,430
Just installed it. About to go test it out. Thanks!
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, dslr, firmware, k-7, photography
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Firmware? Naturenut Pentax DSLR Discussion 10 08-03-2010 06:37 AM
K-7 Firmware 1.02 konraDarnok Pentax News and Rumors 1 10-22-2009 08:01 AM
New K7 firmware... dlacouture Pentax DSLR Discussion 9 10-07-2009 10:09 AM
When do we get the new firmware? ottoangel Pentax DSLR Discussion 1 04-19-2009 12:05 PM
Firmware 1.11 benjikan Pentax DSLR Discussion 21 03-15-2007 10:41 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:49 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top