Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-23-2009, 07:29 AM   #61

Right now, if you want to play with RAW, the best option is probably the free trial of Lightroom 3 beta: Adobe Labs - Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 3

If only they made that for Linux...

10-23-2009, 07:39 AM   #62
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Sew-Classic Quote
I also posted some High ISO K-7 shots taken with new firmware, default NR settings- stragiht from the camera jpeg, NO PP appart from resizing. I don't have any issue with them. 3200 is starting to look a bit grainy, but still usable.

These aren't "pixel-peepable", but they do show what the images look like when viewed in a normal perspective, not 100% screen shots.

I would like to tinker with a program to apply NR to the raw files. What would be the ones to consider that support the K-7 PEF files??
One question, taking for example your sample at 1600 iso, can it be printed at 40 by 60 cm with good condition ??
10-23-2009, 08:46 AM   #63

I personally don't have a need to print larger than 11" x 13". If I did want to print high ISO shots in poster size, then I would shoot RAW and not use the jpeg engine in the camera for noise reduction. Since the K-7 has RAW noise levels at all ISO's on par with the Nikon D300 and better than the Canon 50D, Bypasing the in-camera NR processing would be the ticket for large poster size prints at higher iso's with the K-7. Besides, I only own one les that might be good enough enough for poster prints- my A 50mm f1.4, but that's the only one...

Or, I could toss the k-7 in the trash, and buy a Canon Rebel XS- those are highly regarded for their high ISO jpeg's...or a full frame camera.... - just kidding of course.

I just love the viewfinder on the K-7, the ergos and a slew of other features that I am just begining to get familiar with. Stellar, high ISO jpegs, staight out of the camera would be nice- no doubt- but not really high on my personal list of "must have" features.
10-23-2009, 08:47 AM   #64

QuoteOriginally posted by Mister Guy Quote
Right now, if you want to play with RAW, the best option is probably the free trial of Lightroom 3 beta: Adobe Labs - Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 3

Thanks

I'm not much on PP, but I've been thinking of getting PSE 8- lightroom is a plug-in for that program, right?

10-23-2009, 09:18 AM   #65

Thanks

I'm not much on PP, but I've been thinking of getting PSE 8- lightroom is a plug-in for that program, right?
No, Lightroom is a stand alone photo-management application that offers minor editing capabilities.
10-23-2009, 09:38 AM   #66

I just updated to 1.02 and did a bunch of test shots, so far 80% of my shooting has been done in low light and I have not seen any noticable changes with focusing.

Noise seems is the same (RAW) I have not tested jpeg yet.
10-23-2009, 09:40 AM   #67

I compared ISO 400, 800, 1600, 3200 and 6400 taken before and after firmware upgrade. I used tripod and took the pics under the same light conditions i JPEG. I canīt see any difference in NR and IQ.
10-23-2009, 10:07 AM   #68
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mister Guy Quote

Remember that the LR3 beta isn't intended for use with your original images yet (just duplicates so nothing can be harmed / lost).

Also, remember that right now it only processes chroma noise. Luminance noise processing is disabled in LR3 public beta.

10-23-2009, 10:12 AM   #69
Veteran Member

Thanks

As somebody else said, it's standalone. Take a look here:

Adobe - Photo Management Software - Photoshop Lightroom

Lightroom can pass data to Elements and Creative Suite (although the standard integration is tighter with Creative Suite than with Elements - I've seen but not tried a third-party offering that tightens the integration with Elements though).
10-23-2009, 10:17 AM   #70
Veteran Member

I personally don't have a need to print larger than 11" x 13". If I did want to print high ISO shots in poster size, then I would shoot RAW and not use the jpeg engine in the camera for noise reduction.
The 40 cm x 60cm he's asking for is only about 50% lower linear resolution - it works out to be about 16" x 24". At that size, you'd still be getting about 200dpi. I'd guess the results would still be fairly acceptable, although it depends a lot on how the image is viewed. Much like looking at the whole image on-screen versus pixel peeping, looking at the image hanging on the wall from a few feet away is going to give a very different experience to standing right next to it with a loupe. ;-)
10-23-2009, 07:06 PM   #71

My K-7 is not having any troubling focusing in good to very low light situations with the latest firmware.
10-23-2009, 08:03 PM   #72

i upgraded before doing a bridal model shoot in the evening. My cam af well so far. One of the troubling observation was the SR again. I got blur pic when using flash, shutter at 1/180 and 50mm prime at f2. i hope pentax can address this issue.
10-23-2009, 08:15 PM   #73

Hi all,
I'm a newby here. I registered after having an ongoing issue with firmware upgrade on my aging ist DS.
Anyway, I'm seriously considering getting a K-7 but I'm also shortlisting K20/GX-20 and K-x.
I do appreciate a quality feel in construstion along with pentaprism as opposed penta mirror design.
Having said that, image quality and noise performance is also strong criteria for me and I've been very interested in reading all the comments on this thread.
Should I bite the bullet and just get the K-7 with no risk of buyer's regret?
I'm locked into PK lenses and accessories so Canisonik etc is a no go.
10-23-2009, 09:14 PM   #74
Pentaxian

I am beginning to think that My K-7 is a lemon. It is working fine with the V1.01 software as I took it out for another spin...I am halfway tempted to buy another one and see...
10-24-2009, 12:20 AM   #75
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
I am beginning to think that My K-7 is a lemon. It is working fine with the V1.01 software as I took it out for another spin...I am halfway tempted to buy another one and see...
H'mm....I was wondering about that when I saw the V1.02 photos you posted on this thread. They do look bad, but it doesn't match the results I've had and, it seems, most others.
I can't see any difference in the JPEG output against V1.01. Even the New Fine Sharpness 2 doesn't seem to mean much at all.