Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-18-2009, 06:22 AM   #1

K-7 new firmware ?

Now in Paris the "Salon de la Photo", it runs a rumor of new firmware for the K-7 (noise reduction ?)...
Supposed date October 20 ?

10-18-2009, 07:11 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I guess we will have to wait till tuesday and find out.
10-18-2009, 01:05 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Well, Pentax does need to do something about the noise from the K-7
10-18-2009, 01:38 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
Well, Pentax does need to do something about the noise from the K-7

Why is that? According to dpreview, both the K-7 and the K20D have noise that is every bit as good as that of the D300 and the 50D.

Rob

10-18-2009, 02:16 PM   #5

I really do not know how it came to be that the K-7 is somehow considered to have really bad high-ISO performance. It's strange to say the least.
10-18-2009, 03:57 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robgo2 Quote
Why is that? According to dpreview, both the K-7 and the K20D have noise that is every bit as good as that of the D300 and the 50D.

Rob
I only know what I see what my eyes and also what I have read from MANY owners that have both the K20D and the K-7. Many K-7 owners including myself are wondering if the K-X will be an improvement over the K-7 as far as noise goes and a yes seems to be the consensus... Now I am guessing you have both the K20D and the K-7 and have not seen this problem. But me, who shoots at ISO levels between 500-800 iso 90% of the time, I notice this. I will not use my K-7 past 1000 ISO yet, I do not think twice about ISO1600- to even 3200 on my K20DS'...I thought my K-7 was faulty until I tried another one at the Pentax Demo show down here in L.A; and even the Pentax Rep admitted that the K20D was better here...Now I do not shoot RAW and all the K-7 excuses I hear say you need to shoot RAW and do PP..That is why..Well maybe so, but why do my other Pentax DSLR's produce better results?
10-18-2009, 03:57 PM   #7

the lower end K-x looked amazing at 3200 considering it's a consumer DSLR.

There's quite a few threads and articles online stating on the K-7 actually takes better pics than the Canon 7D (although video is another story) but the 7D is better at higher ISOs.

The samples I saw the K-7 was noticeably better without pixel peeping.

10-18-2009, 04:14 PM   #8

Now I do not shoot RAW and all the K-7 excuses I hear say..That is why..Well maybe so, but why do my other Pentax DSLR's produce better results?
The advantages of RAW for low light or high contrast scenes are pretty huge. If you care about noise at all, then RAW data + a properly calibrated and fine-tuned noise reduction tool will give you much, much better results with any camera. Why would you not shoot RAW? It's like throwing away film negatives - you irretrievably lose very useful data.

The K-7's JPEG noise reduction might be designed for the user to then apply their own NR, or maybe it's just not that great - this is a disadvantage, for sure, but I personally would not be put off by a camera which did not produce JPEGS at all. Most everyone who says the K-7 is noisy is talking about the JPEG engine and not the performance of the sensor - these are two very different issues.
10-19-2009, 12:00 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Well, I had the K10, k20 and K7, and noise handling was really improved on the k7, when using RAW. No more purple stripes on the top and bottom, like the k20, meaning that 3200 is really good for small prints...

But, from the little I saw, the JPEG engine has indeed a lighter touch on the noise reduction part than the k20 (who was already pretty conservative then)... So maybe that's what the firmware will improve...
10-19-2009, 12:11 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Many K-7 owners including myself are wondering if the K-X will be an improvement over the K-7 as far as noise goes and a yes seems to be the consensus...
There would be something significantly wrong if the K-x *didn't* have better high ISO performance. You're talking about two cameras with identical sensor size, of near-identical age. Of course the one with lower sensor resolution will have lower image noise at like sensitivities - it has larger pixels that collect more light (signal) against the background noise levels.

Is there a staggering difference between the noise levels of the two cameras? Not really. And frankly, given the price of the K-x, if the modicum of improvement in noise / low light performance is important to you, it'd make sense to just buy one as a second body that shares all your existing accessories.
10-19-2009, 08:30 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by knoxploration Quote
There would be something significantly wrong if the K-x *didn't* have better high ISO performance. You're talking about two cameras with identical sensor size, of near-identical age. Of course the one with lower sensor resolution will have lower image noise at like sensitivities - it has larger pixels that collect more light (signal) against the background noise levels.

Is there a staggering difference between the noise levels of the two cameras? Not really. And frankly, given the price of the K-x, if the modicum of improvement in noise / low light performance is important to you, it'd make sense to just buy one as a second body that shares all your existing accessories.
I actually fixed my noise problem by purchasing a Nikon D700, so personally speaking, I am ok. But this I know. I use my K20D at ISO 3200-6400 and get what would be usuable for me images and the the K-7 can't touch it. Like I said before. I am sure RAW fixes it, but I prefer not to spend my time in PP.
10-19-2009, 12:18 PM   #12

I actually fixed my noise problem by purchasing a Nikon D700
Isn't the D700 about twice the price of the K-7 and about 1 1/2 times the size? As nice as it would be for the K-7 (or any APS-C camera for that mater) to match the performance of the D700, I wouldn't expect it.

The D700 is a nice piece of equipment- I'm jealous
10-19-2009, 12:26 PM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by Sew-Classic Quote
Isn't the D700 about twice the price of the K-7 and about 1 1/2 times the size? As nice as it would be for the K-7 (or any APS-C camera for that mater) to match the performance of the D700, I wouldn't expect it.

The D700 is a nice piece of equipment- I'm jealous
Yeah, as much as I would love to be able to afford a full-frame camera and lenses to go with it, the size and weight are actually becoming prohibitive at this point. I can barely carry my K-7 and 3-4 lenses plus tripod on extended hikes. This is on day trips, I'm not sure how I'll manage when I have to carry trekking gear as well. The extra 1-2kg and space that a full frame setup would imply might just prove too much.
10-19-2009, 12:44 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Yep, The weight and size is a killer. Since I do mostly street shooting and often times my walks vary from 2 miles to about 5 on average. So size and weight becomes very important to me. When I bought the D700, It was not for street shooting as I knew it was to big. Which is why I am bugged by the noise of the K-7.
For street shooting i use 2 basic set ups. My K20D with no grip and a Sigma 24mm prime or the K-7 with grip with Tamron 17-35...I carry no spare lenses, batteries or anything else. I did take my D700 with grip out last week on an evening street shoot with the Nikor 12-24F/2.8 and walked about 2-3 miles... When I got home, I felt like I walked about 10 miles....The images though where stunning.
10-19-2009, 12:45 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Krg Quote
Now in Paris the "Salon de la Photo", it runs a rumor of new firmware for the K-7 (noise reduction ?)...
Supposed date October 20 ?
Thanks for posting this. I will keep my eyes open for it. Anything over 800ISO on my K7 and the images look like crap IMO. Turn on NR and I lose detail and sharpness.