Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-18-2009, 06:54 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
K-7 Catch in Focus

Catch in focus is far superior to the K10D. Haven't seen this mentioned in all the user reviews I've read here.

The auto focus is faster in good light, but still fairly middling in dark conditions, but the catch in focus is really improved all around.

I hypothesize it has to do with the faster mirror return. It just really snaps the picture as soon as the focus indicator is confirmed -- no delay. It's nice.

10-18-2009, 07:19 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by konraDarnok Quote
The auto focus is faster in good light, but still fairly middling in dark conditions, but the catch in focus is really improved all around.
I guess it depends with what you are comparing, however I tend to disagree.
I've been shooting my K-7 in evening / night (dark to very dark) conditions side-by-side with C & N shooters with pretty heavy equipment.
My K-7 in combination with DA* was always first to lock on focus.

Perhaps contineous shooting is still not at par, but low light AF is not bad at all.
10-18-2009, 08:58 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by konraDarnok Quote
Catch in focus is far superior to the K10D. Haven't seen this mentioned in all the user reviews I've read here.

I hypothesize it has to do with the faster mirror return. It just really snaps the picture as soon as the focus indicator is confirmed -- no delay. It's nice.
try using some fast lenses, you'd see how really fast it focuses under dark conditions.
10-18-2009, 01:26 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I found that older FA lenses focuses way much faster than newer ones. And in low light my k200d focuses incredibly fast with 28-70 f4.