Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-18-2009, 09:50 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax, please give us a focus assist lamp for the K20d!

I know that all your efforts are on the new bodies, but please give us one more firmware change for the K20d:

- add a "Focus Assist" setting on the Flash options menu

With this simple change, hopefully I'd be able to use the flash as a focus assist lamp without committing to taking a flash photo.

Right now, if you want to take a photo with low available light and are having trouble focusing, you have to open the flash, focus (with the flash acting as focus assist), and then close the flash. This takes way too much time for moving subjects.

With the "Focus Assist" setting, the flash can still act as a focus assist, but it won't fire when the shot is taken, and all exposure settings are based on available light.

Please make this one firmware change and I'll never say a bad word about the K20d again. Ever.

Please? Pretty please?

[If you think this is a good idea, please leave a comment - it will increase the odds of Pentax seeing this...]

10-18-2009, 10:07 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yeah but I think if it's on for too long, it might melt some plastic. Flashes are pretty strong. If I put my Metz 48 close right at my skin and set the EV at +3.0 then fire it, I could feel the heat at my skin. Might also be a bit too powerful and battery consuming, you'll be blinded like crazy if that thing is on your face for awhile.
10-18-2009, 10:07 AM   #3
Forum Member

definitely a good idea. I wonder if its completely doable with just a firmware upgrade
10-18-2009, 10:09 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I always kept a LED flashlight in my backpack when I had my K-m. Only thing is you have to use one handed on the camera as you flash the light directly at someone.

10-18-2009, 10:09 AM   #5
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
Yeah but I think if it's on for too long, it might melt some plastic. Flashes are pretty strong. If I put my Metz 48 close right at my skin and set the EV at +3.0 then fire it, I could feel the heat at my skin. Might also be a bit too powerful and battery consuming, you'll be blinded like crazy if that thing is on your face for awhile.
focus assist doesn't leave the lamp on, it flashes for maybe a 1/4 of a second, just enough for the AF to get an idea of the focus needs.
10-18-2009, 09:40 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Shibby3.8 Quote
focus assist doesn't leave the lamp on, it flashes for maybe a 1/4 of a second, just enough for the AF to get an idea of the focus needs.
Oh okay, I thought you meant as in shining it for a long time with flash. I didn't know the K20D couldn't flash really fast for AF assisting since my old K2000 has it and I thought maybe if it had it, the bigger and better K20D would too.
10-18-2009, 09:47 PM   #7
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Not a bad addition, although I wouldn't use it as I'd have an external unit giving me a spotbeam for AF. Not fast by any means, but more reliable than the on-board flash AF assist.

10-18-2009, 11:48 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You can always set the on-board flash as a Wireless Commander, so it won't actually fire during the shot... It's a little bit buried in the custom menu, but it's there...
10-19-2009, 05:12 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
I know that all your efforts are on the new bodies, but please give us one more firmware change for the K20d:

- add a "Focus Assist" setting on the Flash options menu
Totally agree. Even my Canon p&s has this feature, it's inexcusable that my K20D doesn't.
10-19-2009, 07:59 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dlacouture Quote
You can always set the on-board flash as a Wireless Commander, so it won't actually fire during the shot... It's a little bit buried in the custom menu, but it's there...
That doesn't work because the camera sets exposure assuming a flash will go off. I'm not a strobist by any means, but that appears to happen.
10-20-2009, 08:28 AM   #11
Forum Member

this is a small mod I've made for my k20, it is event better when attached to a grip.
all together they cost me about 8$