Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-18-2009, 01:23 PM   #1
Site Supporter

K-x, does it have the focus indicator?

The K2000 did not have this, does the K-x? (The little red light that shows up in the viewfinder when it has focused)

10-18-2009, 02:15 PM   #2
Forum Member

no, it doesn't have focus indicators like K-m.
10-18-2009, 03:43 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by skid2964 Quote
The K2000 did not have this, does the K-x? (The little red light that shows up in the viewfinder when it has focused)
QuoteOriginally posted by grishazzz Quote
no, it doesn't have focus indicators like K-m.
Correct, it has no AF area overlay in the view finder.

It is supposed though to indicate the active AF area in the INFO screen on the rear LCD.
10-18-2009, 05:09 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by skid2964 Quote
The red square doesn't show *when* it has focused; it shows *where* it is trying to focus. It's the green hexagon that shows *when* it has successfully focused.

Neither the K-m nor the K-x have the red squares to show *where* the camera is focusing, but both feature the green hexagon to show *when* it has focused.

10-19-2009, 05:59 AM   #5
Forum Member

What about center focus?

Marc,

When using center focus, does the red square appear in the viewfinder at the center point?

Bob
10-19-2009, 06:01 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BobRad Quote
Marc,

When using center focus, does the red square appear in the viewfinder at the center point?

Bob
No, there is no red LED overlay in the viewfinder at all. Focus confirmation is available via the green hex which is found in the current shooting details in the bottom of the viewfinder, as Mark indicated above.
10-19-2009, 06:09 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
It doesn't on the K2000. and according to Marc, it does not on the K-x either.

When I had my K2000, I found it not to be a serious issue. But I always used the center focus anyway so the beep and the green light was enough.

I do view it as a K-x shortcoming though. got to make it less expensive somehow I guess. I'm still going to get one.

But when the next pro camera comes out with this sensor and two wheels (and focus indicator!) Im getting one!

Marc,

Bob
10-19-2009, 08:06 AM   #8
Forum Member

Center Focus

Bummer! I find it odd that the face detection shows the faces that are being identified for focus (according to the Pentax promotional video - or is that just on a simulation?), but yet the center focus point is not identified. Like you, it won't stop me from getting it to replace my dear departed K10D, but I would rather not have to gauge that my subject is in the center of the screen on every shot, especially since I use the center focus, hold, re-compose, and shoot approach.

Thanks for the quick and helpful respones.

Bob

10-19-2009, 09:02 AM   #9

I think you are maybe confusing the LCD screen focus information, with the viewfinder focus information.

When using the LV mode all focus information is available on the LCD screen, including face tracking etc.

When using the viewfinder face tracking would not be available (as the sensor is not active), and this information would not be seen in the viewfinder.

The viewfinder only has a focus confirmation indicator, to indicate that the camera has locked on focus.
What it lacks is the focal point indicator overlay in the viewfinder to show where the camera has focused.

I hope his makes sense.
10-19-2009, 09:12 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Bummer! I find it odd that the face detection shows the faces that are being identified for focus (according to the Pentax promotional video - or is that just on a simulation?),
Maybe it works that way in liveview mode? not sure. Just to be clear, I don't own a K-x - I'm just going by what the spec sheet and all reviewers and owners have stated.

QuoteQuote:
I would rather not have to gauge that my subject is in the center of the screen on every shot, especially since I use the center focus, hold, re-compose, and shoot approach.
You don't need the dot for that; actually, it's misleading anyhow. The center focus "point" is actually about as large as the whole center bracket etched into the focus screen. So as long as you subject is in that range, you're good.
10-19-2009, 09:30 AM   #11
Forum Member

That works

Thanks, Marc. I always used the red LED center focus indicator on my K10D, so I never even noticed if it has an etched center area indication. If the K-x has the center bracket, I'll adapt.

Bob
10-19-2009, 09:34 AM   #12
Forum Member

TBSteve,

Yes, it makes sense. The footage on face detection must be showing the LCD view.

Thanks,
Bob
10-19-2009, 10:37 AM   #13
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
The red square doesn't show *when* it has focused; it shows *where* it is trying to focus. It's the green hexagon that shows *when* it has successfully focused.

Neither the K-m nor the K-x have the red squares to show *where* the camera is focusing, but both feature the green hexagon to show *when* it has focused.
Marc, it took me aaaaaaages before I figured that out and nowadays I point this out whenever this question comes up. I know there's RTFM... but there does seem to be such widespread misconception about this!
10-19-2009, 11:24 AM   #14

QuoteQuote:
I think you are maybe confusing the LCD screen focus information, with the viewfinder focus information.

When using the LV mode all focus information is available on the LCD screen, including face tracking etc.

When using the viewfinder face tracking would not be available (as the sensor is not active), and this information would not be seen in the viewfinder.

The viewfinder only has a focus confirmation indicator, to indicate that the camera has locked on focus.
What it lacks is the focal point indicator overlay in the viewfinder to show where the camera has focused.

I hope his makes sense.
I am total SLR beginner so excuse me if this question is silly, but if a camera like the K-X has 11 auto focus points but no way of telling which focus point it is using, what is the point (excuse the pun) in having all those extra focus points?

When framing a picture either in LV on the screen or through the viewfinder, is it possible to see roughly which area is in focus? How do you chose a different focus point if the wrong one is selected?

Thanks
10-19-2009, 11:27 AM   #15
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by prayforsnow Quote
I am total SLR beginner so excuse me if this question is silly, but if a camera like the K-X has 11 auto focus points but no way of telling which focus point it is using, what is the point (excuse the pun) in having all those extra focus points?

When framing a picture either in LV on the screen or through the viewfinder, is it possible to see roughly which area is in focus? How do you chose a different focus point if the wrong one is selected?

Thanks
Hello,

I don't actually own this camera but I do remember reading somewhere that the LCD LV will show you which of the focus points is active. Not through the viewfinder however.

Someone might want to confirm this though?