Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-18-2009, 02:34 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Oiling or greasing the jog wheels/e-dials?

Some time ago I had my K220D in a cave and was too confident about it's water, dust etc. resistance. The result was a sticky back dial and I was quite annoyed with it. Took the camera to the service and they said they found sand and of course cleaned it. Now the dial feels better but still sticky and I can't help to think that some oil or grease might help. On the other hand it might do some damage to sealing and might be conductive. I bet there is something out there that is safe to use. What would you recommend?

10-18-2009, 03:21 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Any grease or oil will definitely trash the dials. They have to be perfectly clean to make contact properly.
10-18-2009, 06:07 PM   #3
Veteran Member

SuperLube is a silicon based product that does amazing thing. I never tried it on a command dial, but I would be confident using it. It won't damage rubber or neoprene seals. You can get it in syringe type applicators. And it is dielectric.
10-18-2009, 08:04 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I have no idea whether it would work, but RadioShack sells something called like "tuner lubricant" made for devices with contacts. perhaps worth talking to them about.

10-20-2009, 10:21 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
I have no idea whether it would work, but RadioShack sells something called like "tuner lubricant" made for devices with contacts. perhaps worth talking to them about.
Oh, man, be careful with that stuff in the spray can. It can go everywhere when you press the spray tip on the can and I'm not really sure what it does to different plastics over time.
10-20-2009, 10:33 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Well I've had several Pentax digitals open to replace shutter switches. There is not one drop of a lube on any of the rotating dials. Most of what I have read, says to keep the contact surfaces as clean as possible.
I had a problem with my DS dial. I took the top off and cleaned the contacts with a swab and contact cleaner. Works fine now. For supposed non oxidizing metal, it sure had a nice layer of gray crud.
09-29-2010, 07:20 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I hope no one bothers me hijacking this thread...

@wildlifephotog: Which dial were you talking about? The command dial on my *istDs is only working in one direction, to the left. The other direction does work, but usually registers a turn to the left. I have looked at the service manual, but it looks quite scary... seems as if I have to unsolder a few cables and remove the top mounted LCD display to get to the dial. Any chance that it is easier than that?

09-29-2010, 10:55 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A word of caution regarding the issue of lubricating and cleaning the rotating switches/dials.

Don't.

If you do, I will not shead a single tear of sympathy.

Lubricants such as silicones have a different surface tension than water and can migrate virtually any where, including on the electrical contacts, which are intended to be dry, and the silicone will attach itself to the surface and make the contacts worse not better. As someone already pointed out silicone is a dielectric. Silicones are banned in manyu applications simply because they migrate anywhere uncontrollably.

Similarly the "radio tuner cleaner" is not a tuner cleaner at all, tuners were, in the old days variable capacitors with plates spaced by air. No contacts to clean, More likely these materials are used to take the scratchy sound out of carbon based variable resistors, used in volume controls tone controls etc, BUT NOT SWITCHES.

This is something that shoud only be cleaned and repaired by a qualified repair shop that is capable of putting the camera back together to the origonal build quality.
09-29-2010, 11:28 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I had something simular with the ISO button of my K7 after it got soaking wet with dirty pool water.
The day after that happened and my K7 had dried up again, the ISO button was sticky, gave some clicking sound when pressing it, and didn't got smooth it its resting position again.

To fix it, i just held my K7 under slowly running tapwater while pressing the ISO button again and again.
After drying everything again, the sticking was gone and it worked smooth as new again.

And now, almost a half a year later it still works as new.
09-29-2010, 12:30 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I'm with Lowell on this.

(I speak with over thirty years of experience as a maintenance tech, not with camera's, but with plenty of hi tech electronic equipment )
09-29-2010, 01:47 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I have now tried to turn the dial again and again and again, trying to scratch away the dirt, and it has helped to a certain degree (the camera became usable again). I hope it at least stays that way, if you all think I shouldn't disassemble the camera to clean it (wouldn't be the first time I disassemble a camera or lens, but never a DSLR yet).
09-29-2010, 05:02 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wildlifephotog Quote
Any grease or oil will definitely trash the dials. They have to be perfectly clean to make contact properly.
Just to add re-reinforcement don't even think of spraying anything into the dial, knobs, buttons.

The tech should have been able to fix your dial 100% or can!.
09-29-2010, 10:28 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lloydy Quote
I'm with Lowell on this.

(I speak with over thirty years of experience as a maintenance tech, not with camera's, but with plenty of hi tech electronic equipment )
I second that (with some simular tech experience).

In the Netherlands call that kind of sprays "contact spray" It is used to clean electronic contacts and leave a residu for better contact.

That stuff really works like a charm ............. for 2 days...........

Than it become sticky and attrackts dirt and dust making thing worse than ever before.
09-29-2010, 10:33 PM   #14
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Matjazz Quote
Some time ago I had my K220D in a cave and was too confident about it's water, dust etc. resistance. The result was a sticky back dial and I was quite annoyed with it. Took the camera to the service and they said they found sand and of course cleaned it. Now the dial feels better but still sticky and I can't help to think that some oil or grease might help. On the other hand it might do some damage to sealing and might be conductive. I bet there is something out there that is safe to use. What would you recommend?
Exercise. Putting oil or grease on an encoder wheel is asking for trouble.

09-30-2010, 03:15 AM   #15
Inactive Account

You shouldn't do it, it might ruin your camera, sticky feeling comes from the O-ring for weather resistance.