Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-19-2009, 12:05 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pcarfan Quote
If you decide to go with Nikon, there is a set up for sale right here (no affiliations to the seller)

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographers-marketplace/76711-sale-trad...ass-flash.html
maybe you can ask alexey for a trade. he's been dying to get a K-7.

10-19-2009, 12:14 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Personally I would say if your gut tells you the D300s is better than the K-7 then return the Pentax and buy the Nikon. As you have not invested in any lenses yet there is no loss involved ... buy what makes you happy.
10-19-2009, 12:14 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
- Availability of lenses and parts at the local stores (try and test them)
- Wider selection of lenses (prime, zoom and macro)

I am not super concerned about the cost, this is a long term investment, so in the long term it will not really matter.
Did you read LenRental's State of the SLR Market -2009

QuoteQuote:
In 2009 the shortages really hit, and it wasn’t just Nikon, it wasn’t even mostly Nikon. At Lensrentals we have to be aware when a lens isn’t available because we guarantee availability for our reservations. If a lens is damaged or stolen we have to get a new copy right now, so we spend some time (and have some little computer programs) that tell us where various lenses are in stock and at what price. At this moment (April 2009) there are 17 lenses that we can’t buy copies of anywhere, and there’s at least one unavailable lens for every brand we carry. So four times as many lenses are out of stock in April of 2009 as there were during all of 2008. That number is probably low: that only concerns the lenses that we stock. We don’t bother to check on lenses we don’t carry.
I thought it was interesting reading and wondered about what lenses can be found. I suppose the consumer grade stuff is there, but for the higher end, which I assume is what these guys rent, the short term doesn't seem rosy. I suppose if you are in for the long term, it won't matter.

Thank you
Russell

Last edited by Russell-Evans; 10-19-2009 at 12:20 PM.
10-19-2009, 12:36 PM   #34
Veteran Member

I'm the one selling a D300s in classifieds...

And having went through that same switch K7 ==> D300s
let me break it up for you:

- Small size That's the only reason why I want to go back to Pentax
- Weather Resistant (WR) camera and lenses Pointless unless you can afford DA* glass...
- Great set of features Gimmicks!!!
- Quality and construction Quality is the main reason why I left Pentax, my K7 was defective out of the box...
- In body Vibration Reduction (VR) Another reason I miss Pentax, but nothing breath-holding

Why I am considering to return the K-7 and buy a D300s:

- Better video with Auto Focus (AF) while filming Actually the K7 is better for video... faster frame rate and larger format... AF is of no use for both...
- Double memory card (1 for video, 1 for pictures) Gimmicks!!! Though could be useful for some...
- Advanced set of features and customization Gimmicks!!!
- Brand (easy access to third party accessories and books online) Hell yes!!!
- Availability of lenses and parts at the local stores (try and test them) Hell yes!!!
- Rugged construction (similar to the K-7) Actually it's the other way around... K-7 is similar...
- Wider selection of lenses (prime, zoom and macro) True to en extent... At this point no brand can actually match the Pentax line of primes... But for quality zooms, Pentax is no match... on the other had, you still have to be able to afford it...
- Bigger community of forums and discussion boards Yes, but you'll be surprised by the amount of "yahoos" in Nikon and Canon community...

After some serous shooting and one wedding with the D300s, my only complaint's are:
-camera's size and weight
-quality Nikon glass (you'd be lucky to find a good used 70-200VR for under 1500$US)

For the rest, I'm more than happy... And the only reasons why I want to get back to Pentax are:
-K7's size as I travel a lot, so it's an issue for me...
-Pentax Limiteds... again, Nikon has nothing similar to offer.
-Attention factor... Nikon get's too much...
-Better support of old glass by Pentax

And something that everybody seem to leave out of dicsussions... D300/s gets in average 1500 - 2000 clicks on a single battery charge with a heavy LCD usage...

That would be hard to give up... not to mention the AF and overall operation speeds of D300s... It's just another league...

10-19-2009, 12:42 PM   #35
Pentaxian

I know a guy who uses Canon.
He upgrades fairly regularly, He is using a 7D at the moment. Interestingly, his pictures look pretty much the same as the ones he was shooting with his 40D and 50D, and don't look all that much off of his 8mp Rebel pictures.
We are pretty much at the point there isn't really very much difference from one brand of body to another as far as image quality is concerned.
I've had issues with the AF on the K-7 failing in dim light, but I've also heard of situations where AF fails on other brands as well, including the D300.
One thing I noticed about the OP's rationalization is that he doesn't seem overly concerned about lens quality. He only passingly mentioned lenses in that more are available for Nikon, not whether they are worth buying or not.
I've said it before, and I'll say it again here: If your pictures are worth being taken by a Pentax lens, then shoot Pentax, if they aren't, then shoot whatever catches your fancy, it doesn't really matter.
10-19-2009, 01:07 PM   #36
Veteran Member

things that you should do:

1. buy camera
2. buy lens
3. use both camera and lens
4. master your camera and lens use until you are able to produce excellent photos
5. be happy with what you had accomplished
6. change camera if it had mechanically failed or has already failed you in demanding situations or no longer suited your skills and needing something that would meet those demands.

things not to do:

1.> buy camera
2.> go to camera store and have a look around
3.> sell old camera
4.> buy new camera
5.> go to camera store and have a look around
6.> sell old camera
7> repeat steps 1-3
10-19-2009, 01:12 PM   #37
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote

things not to do:
That makes far too much sense...
10-19-2009, 04:00 PM   #38
Veteran Member

things not to do:

1.> buy camera
3.> sell old camera
4.> buy new camera
6.> sell old camera
7> repeat steps 1-3
Can I also add

8.> Dont hang around on forums listening to all the angst about performance. Its only relative and differences are minor. Even the worst current DSLR is better than the best DSLR of 5 years ago and lots of people won awards with those.

9.> Dont use the camera to excuse poor photography. Spending the money on classes, books, travel and getting lots and lots of practice will get you a lot more great shots ... even with an *istD.

10-19-2009, 04:27 PM   #39

QuoteOriginally posted by brosen Quote
Today I was playing with the Nikon D300S, really a great camera, it's not as big as I expected, think about switching to the Nikon from the K-7, any thoughts ?, I am not 100% sure yet ?, I have not had that much time to fully explore D300S options and features, feedback is welcome, thanks
What you are asking can only be answered by you. Finish your due dilligence and you will have your answer.
10-19-2009, 04:33 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums

1. buy camera
2. buy lens
3. use both camera and lens
4. master your camera and lens use until you are able to produce excellent photos
5. be happy with what you had accomplished
6. change camera if it had mechanically failed or has already failed you in demanding situations or no longer suited your skills and needing something that would meet those demands.

things not to do:

1.> buy camera
3.> sell old camera
4.> buy new camera
6.> sell old camera
7> repeat steps 1-3
Allow me to add:

things one should be placed in front of a firing squad for doing:

1.> buy camera
3.> return camera for refund even though it performed exactly as specified
4.> buy new camera
3.> return camera for refund even though it performed exactly as specified
7> repeat steps 1-3

;-)
10-19-2009, 07:05 PM   #41

Original Poster
UPDATE: After a very detailed hands-on review of the Nikon D300s today, I have to say, the Pentax K-7 is the one, BY FAR !!!, the main reasons for my decision are:

- Size and Weight
- Quality and Contructions
- Easy of use
- In Body SR
- 40mm Pancake Lens
- WR Body and Lenses
- Very quiet shutter

Thanks to all of you for the very useful comments and suggestions, now I have to begin my DSLR Learning adventure with the K-7.

NOTE: Do you know of any good book (apart from the Manual) to use as a reference and guide to make it easy the learning cure ?, again thanks a lot.
10-19-2009, 07:23 PM   #42
Pentaxian

- Bigger community of forums and discussion boards
BTW, I didn't see anyone pick up on this, but I'd just point out that while there might not be "many" Pentax forums, how many do you really need? Between this and dpreview's Pentax SLR forum, you can already spend hours a day communing with fellow users. Toss in the occasional look at Pentax-related Flickr groups or other smaller forums, and you could easily spend your entire waking hours doing nothing but readings posts about Pentax. How on earth does anyone need more than that?
10-19-2009, 07:34 PM   #43
Inactive Account

NOTE: Do you know of any good book (apart from the Manual) to use as a reference and guide to make it easy the learning cure ?, again thanks a lot.
The Magic Lantern guides (Amazon.com: Magic Lantern Guides: Pentax K-7 (9781600596223): Peter K. Burian: Books) are basically an easier reading version of the manual. I'd pick up one of those, but don't get too caught up on all the bells and whistles it will explain. Buy some good photo techniques books (i.e. Understanding Exposure) and use the Magic Lantern to make sure you understand the camera well enough to master the basics.

I hope your choice serves you well. Good luck!
10-19-2009, 08:52 PM   #44
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JamieP Quote
The Magic Lantern guides (Amazon.com: Magic Lantern Guides: Pentax K-7 (9781600596223): Peter K. Burian: Books) are basically an easier reading version of the manual. I'd pick up one of those, but don't get too caught up on all the bells and whistles it will explain. Buy some good photo techniques books (i.e. Understanding Exposure) and use the Magic Lantern to make sure you understand the camera well enough to master the basics.

I hope your choice serves you well. Good luck!
There's also Yvon Bourque's e-book:

PENTAX DSLRs: Pentax K-7 "Everything you need to know...and then some." e-book available NOW.

(Haven't read it myself, just passing along the link as another possibility).

Last edited by knoxploration; 10-19-2009 at 08:53 PM. Reason: Fixed a typo in Yvon's name (sorry!)
10-19-2009, 09:24 PM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
BTW, I didn't see anyone pick up on this, but I'd just point out that while there might not be "many" Pentax forums, how many do you really need? Between this and dpreview's Pentax SLR forum, you can already spend hours a day communing with fellow users. Toss in the occasional look at Pentax-related Flickr groups or other smaller forums, and you could easily spend your entire waking hours doing nothing but readings posts about Pentax. How on earth does anyone need more than that?
for sure. this entire forum could take you a lot of hours reading alone. sometimes you need to be picky with the topics. otherwise you'd be glued to your seat all day like Marc. j/k