Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-20-2009, 10:12 AM   #46
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
BTW, I didn't see anyone pick up on this, but I'd just point out that while there might not be "many" Pentax forums, how many do you really need? Between this and dpreview's Pentax SLR forum, you can already spend hours a day communing with fellow users. Toss in the occasional look at Pentax-related Flickr groups or other smaller forums, and you could easily spend your entire waking hours doing nothing but readings posts about Pentax. How on earth does anyone need more than that?
This forum is by far the best Pentax related site I've found so it's pretty much the only one I visit. I'll say though that NikonCafe is perhaps the best shooting-oriented site I've ever found but I'm afraid this comment might make Brosen go back to wanting a D300s. All said, there is indeed more than enough good information on this site.

Brosen, you asked about recommendations for books. I'd start with the owner's manual that came with the camera. Read it all the way to the index at the end and then experiment with the different settings. The best means for learning the results for settings such as aperture priority or white balance is to spend several days shooting with those settings under different circumstances.

10-20-2009, 12:19 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A detailed professional comparision of the two

no title - page 1

Amature photography above had done a detailed review of both cameras.
10-20-2009, 12:38 PM   #48

Original Poster
Very good article, the K-7 is MUCH MORE expensive in Europe, equivalent to US$1,650, almost $600 more than US, and the D300s is around US$2,000, that's not that much expensive than US, only $200.

With the money I saved by buying the Pentax K-7 I bought the following additional lenses (when I bought the camera I included already de WR 18-55 and 50-200 lenses):

- Pentax SMCP-DA 70mm f/2.4 LIMITED LENS
- Pentax SMCP-DA 21mm f/3.2 AL LIMITED LENS
- Pentax SMCP-DA 40mm f/2.8 LIMITED LENS

So now, I have a great camera and a set of FIVE Very good lenses for almost any situation.

Last edited by brosen; 10-20-2009 at 12:51 PM.
10-20-2009, 01:56 PM   #49
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by brosen Quote

With the money I saved by buying the Pentax K-7 I bought the following additional lenses (when I bought the camera I included already de WR 18-55 and 50-200 lenses):

- Pentax SMCP-DA 70mm f/2.4 LIMITED LENS
- Pentax SMCP-DA 21mm f/3.2 AL LIMITED LENS
- Pentax SMCP-DA 40mm f/2.8 LIMITED LENS

So now, I have a great camera and a set of FIVE Very good lenses for almost any situation.

Oh, sweet. Nice lineup. You should get one of those little flexible tube cases designed for the DA Limiteds - saw one of those at the Pentax roadshow and it made me want to buy all the DA Limiteds.

10-20-2009, 02:01 PM   #50
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote

Oh, sweet. Nice lineup. You should get one of those little flexible tube cases designed for the DA Limiteds - saw one of those at the Pentax roadshow and it made me want to buy all the DA Limiteds.
he's still missing the 2 remaining DA LTDS.
10-20-2009, 03:01 PM   #51
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums

Nice lineup indeed - wish I could afford it myself. Ah well, my fledgling LBA can continue over time. ;-)
10-20-2009, 03:10 PM   #52
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
he's still missing the 2 remaining DA LTDS.
And once he's got those, he may as well go on and get the FA ltd trilogy...
10-20-2009, 04:12 PM   #53
Inactive Account

is it really greener on the other side?, I tried my friend's D300 and no doubt it is a nice camera but, for me the Pentax doesn't really lag behind. I have a K20 and so is another friend with the K20 as well. We both manage to try the the co worker's D300 and took some shots and both of us were not impressed w/ the results. The K20 will hold it's own except perhaps a split second faster AF. So many times I read the Nikon flash is the best but from what I experienced it is not fail safe, just like any other camera. I have seen results that are blownouts or way too dark. No wonder when my co worker use the flash, he maintains a certain constant distance to the subjects otherwise the results were not consistent. It is a fact that he complains all the time, saying " I am getting old and still in the learning process". Mind you, this I have known him for the last 25yrs and from the very beginning he was a Nikon user.

10-20-2009, 04:20 PM   #54
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Where you may find a more significant difference is in low-light AF performance.
Where the K20D will hunt back and forth looking for the right focal point, the D300 will snap into focus relatively quickly. In good lighting, the K20D/K-7 will be as fast as anyone would need it but those conditions don't differentiate AF performance all that well.

Another test of AF would be at ultratelephoto FLs, like with Marc's recently acquired 250-600 at the 600 end...
10-20-2009, 05:06 PM   #55
Veteran Member

I can't say I've had any issues with focusing in low light with my K-7, to be honest. It's one of the areas which is significantly improved over the K20D.
10-20-2009, 06:18 PM   #56
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Having the AF assist lamp makes a huge difference...
10-20-2009, 06:27 PM   #57
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Having the AF assist lamp makes a huge difference...
To be honest, the AF assist lamp seems to seldom come on in my (albeit still fairly limited) experience with the K-7. I still haven't had any real issues getting the camera to autofocus in any kind of lighting conditions I'd be capable of handholding a photo under.
10-20-2009, 08:11 PM   #58

At the advanced amateur level, Pentax has the best lens lineup out there, IMO.
This is so true. I would never give up my DA* lenses. For the same price I could get zoom creeping, plastic mount, soft lenses from Nikon.
10-20-2009, 08:13 PM   #59
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by knoxploration Quote
To be honest, the AF assist lamp seems to seldom come on in my (albeit still fairly limited) experience with the K-7. I still haven't had any real issues getting the camera to autofocus in any kind of lighting conditions I'd be capable of handholding a photo under.
All kudos to Pentax then for developing AF to the extent that the AF assist lamp is rarely needed in low light situations!
10-21-2009, 08:48 PM   #60
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by brosen Quote
Why I am considering to return the K-7 and buy a D300s:

- Better video with Auto Focus (AF) while filming
- Double memory card (1 for video, 1 for pictures)
- Advanced set of features and customization
- Brand (easy access to third party accessories and books online)
- Availability of lenses and parts at the local stores (try and test them)
- Rugged construction (similar to the K-7)
- Wider selection of lenses (prime, zoom and macro)
- Bigger community of forums and discussion boards

I am not super concerned about the cost, this is a long term investment, so in the long term it will not really matter.
- Better video with Auto Focus (AF) while filming ... Perhaps if that's important to you. Me, I couldn't care less.

- Double memory card (1 for video, 1 for pictures)... goes along with the requirement to shoot video, still couldn't care less personally.

- Advanced set of features and customization... well on that front the Pentax is pretty hard to beat I'd say. Not that familiar with the Nikon, but not a reason to switch IMO.

- Brand (easy access to third party accessories and books online)... instant prestige at the photo club... but the K-7 with a 40mmLtd pancake does attracts some curious looks... ;-)

- Availability of lenses and parts at the local stores (try and test them)... that's a personal thing, for me it really doesn't matter all that much.

- Rugged construction (similar to the K-7)... not an issue, they're both equal.

- Wider selection of lenses (prime, zoom and macro)... to me, it only matters if the one lens you really want isn't available for Pentax.

- Bigger community of forums and discussion boards... how many folks can you chat with at once ! ... well, that doesn't weight much on my books, but I think I understand.

- I am not super concerned about the cost... good for you, but you do realize that you're looking at $10,000 - $15,000 by the time you've got all the lenses you don't know you want yet ! But what the heck.. if you think you'd be more happy with a Nikon label, now is the time. I've had the same thoughts several times, and I understand your desire. What keeps me with Pentax is that my system is so much smaller than the equivalent Nikon system would be, and much much cheaper in the long run. Good luck with your decision.

Last edited by regor; 10-21-2009 at 08:54 PM.