Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-18-2009, 07:34 PM   #1

Nikon D300s versus Pentax K-7 ?, toughts ?

Today I was playing with the Nikon D300S, really a great camera, it's not as big as I expected, think about switching to the Nikon from the K-7, any thoughts ?, I am not 100% sure yet ?, I have not had that much time to fully explore D300S options and features, feedback is welcome, thanks

10-18-2009, 08:12 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by brosen Quote
Today I was playing with the Nikon D300S, really a great camera, it's not as big as I expected, think about switching to the Nikon from the K-7, any thoughts ?, I am not 100% sure yet ?, I have not had that much time to fully explore D300S options and features, feedback is welcome, thanks

Consider lenses also. Price out the ones you'll need and be able to afford.

Personally, marrying the D300S to quality 3rd party lenses like the Tamron 17-50 2.8, Sigma 50-150 2.8 HSM and Sigma 50 1.4 makes a compelling kit.

Buying the slow, overpriced, VR-ed consumer zooms like the Nikon 16-85, or the similarly overpriced 'pro' zooms like the Nikon 70-200 2.8 VR II for $2500 are both silly ideas in my book.

At the advanced amateur level, Pentax has the best lens lineup out there, IMO.
10-18-2009, 10:17 PM   #3
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well put Jay.
You do need to look into the features that matter for you and how far your pocket goes down.
The D300s is a fine camera, does the job well with great AF speed, but you'll pay for it in glassware.
10-18-2009, 10:28 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I agree with the glass part. The D300s may be a good camera, but the Nikon glass is too high. I seriously thought about switching to Sony once; but I saw the glass and I knew it would rape the total cost of all my Pentax equipment plus my bank just to get an equal set of what I have right now with Pentax.

10-18-2009, 11:05 PM   #5
Damn Brit

Forgive me for asking, but how long have you been shooting with DSLRs? You seem to have jumped from using the Green Button to changing systems at Mach1.
I'm not trying to give you a hard time and I humbly apologise if I've got it wrong, I'm only trying to help. If you are new to DSLRs, any make or model made in the last three years will far exceed the capabilities you have. If that's the case then it might be better to learn how to use the camera before changing to another one.
10-18-2009, 11:16 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Until Nikon implements SR in their cameras, switching from Pentax to Nikon will be a step backwards in my book.
10-18-2009, 11:42 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Not being able to store your RAW natively in DNG straight from camera is also another Nikon drag. Damn all these NEF's and PEF's and CRW's. Jumping systems too often means you can end up with an alphabet soup of RAW file formats to work with and/or archive.

Just wait for the K7s or K8.

10-19-2009, 12:05 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Seems to me you might be suffering from "greener grass" syndrome... You say you're considering switching from the K-7, but that in DSLR terms is still nearly a brand-new model, so even if you were one of the first adopters you'd seem to be considering jumping ship remarkably early.

To me, I could only understand that making sense in one of two situations:

* You have a major problem with a shortcoming of the K-7
* You have a major attraction to a feature of the D300s

If you have a problem with the K-7, what is it and how does the D300s answer it? Conversely, if there's something major you see that you want in the D300s, what is it and how close does the K-7 come to providing it?

* The D300s is a bit lower resolution (could be a positive or a negative), about a third faster burst-wise, and offers dual media and better video performance.

* The K-7 is a lot cheaper, a quarter smaller body-wise, a bit higher resolution, offers in-body IS, automatic tilt correction, composition adjustment, in-camera HDR, selectable Raw formats, and offers a bunch of filter effects that I don't *think* offhand the Nikon does.

On paper, you're talking about two *very* similar cameras. There's far more that's identical or near identical between these cameras than there is that's different. Maybe you're right that the D300s is better for you - maybe you just see something you don't have, that still has that "new-camera" feel. Only you can answer that. ;-)
10-19-2009, 12:51 AM   #9
Veteran Member

The most compelling Nikon is the Nikon D90 - it has the best tested dynamic range, high iso IQ and 100% accurate flash system period - it is a camera I will more likely look at getting just for shooting events and low light situations - through a bit of work I can acheive great results with my Pentax - the Nikon just makes it less work.

The Pentax k7 for it's compact size go anywhere abilities and excellent IQ up to ISO 800 and of course excellent affordable pro glass.

Dylan
10-19-2009, 01:16 AM   #10
Veteran Member

to the OP, you are experiencing a beginner's new camera infatuation syndrome. careful cause this one could be costly for people like you.

from what I see, you are basing your decision on the looks factor and not really concerned about features and anything at all for that matter. the D300s is not small, it is significantly bigger because it is the same size of that of it's predecessor. it is about 150 grams heavier compared to the K-7. and this is just the D300s body alone, wait until you get the lens for it. they are heavy.

it would be fine if you do the switch, but you must consider this things first. are you willing to spend a lot of cash on those premium VR lenses? can you live without SR body or non-VR lenses and sacrifice camera-shake below 1/60 of the shutterspeed? are you willing to carry such weight with your camera and lenses? would switching make your photos any better?

if you really are keen on making the switch, I would highly recommend that you study or specify which functions that you are looking or needing for in a cam and what will you gain or be missing if you would do the switch.

well I would mind if you do it for the LOOKS FACTOR. but think if that looks will help your cause in any way. you are not doing it to impress or just for bragging are you?
10-19-2009, 04:06 AM   #11
Veteran Member

The grass is greener on the other side.....

Have you really thought through what real problem you may have with the K-7 ?

Sure, the D300S is better in some respects, but the K-7 also has some important features which the D300S doesn't have.
Just about any dSLR at this level can take great pictures, so I come back the earlier question, which is, what exactly do you find unsatisfactory with the K-7 ?
10-19-2009, 05:37 AM   #12

Original Poster
Thank you for all the replies, great feedback and information. Some background data, I've been a mid-level user of Point and Shoot for the last 15 years, I've owned Canon G8, G9 and G10 during the last 3 to 4 years, I want to jump into the next level, DSLR, I've been searching the market for the last 4 to 6 weeks, the main reasons why I bought the K-7 are:

- Small size
- Weather Resistant (WR) camera and lenses
- Great set of features
- Quality and construction
- In body Vibration Reduction (VR)
- Great forum to share experiences

Why I am considering to return the K-7 and buy a D300s:

- Better video with Auto Focus (AF) while filming
- Double memory card (1 for video, 1 for pictures)
- Advanced set of features and customization
- Brand (easy access to third party accessories and books online)
- Availability of lenses and parts at the local stores (try and test them)
- Rugged construction (similar to the K-7)
- Wider selection of lenses (prime, zoom and macro)
- Bigger community of forums and discussion boards

I am not super concerned about the cost, this is a long term investment, so in the long term it will not really matter.
10-19-2009, 05:44 AM   #13

Before I bought my K-7 I tried out the D300s, I took a plethora of shots with both cameras as I was genuinely prepared to change systems if I felt the Nikon was a superior option.
I liked the feel of the D300s, it was very solid, but so was the K-7 and I found the K-7 nicer to hold.
The focusing might have been *fractionally* faster on the D300s, but it was barely noticeable.
The white balance and metering on the K-7 stunned me, the Nikon wasn't even in the same league (and I was sure I'd heard that very aspect of Nikons was almost supernaturally good) and when looking at the dark pictures taken inside the shop there was palpably more noise in the Nikon shots for the same ISO - another fact which astonished me.

The D300s was a nice camera and if I was already attached to the Nikon system I would consider it a good buy, but it was certainly not better than the K-7 in any meaningful way (7fps over 5fps is not something I, personally consider important).

Hope this helps.
10-19-2009, 05:50 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Thank you for all the replies, great feedback and information. Some background data, I've been a mid-level user of Point and Shoot for the last 15 years, I've owned Canon G8, G9 and G10 during the last 3 to 4 years, I want to jump into the next level, DSLR, I've been searching the market for the last 4 to 6 weeks, the main reasons why I bought the K-7 are:

- Small size
- Weather Resistant (WR) camera and lenses
- Great set of features
- Quality and construction
- In body Vibration Reduction (VR)
- Great forum to share experiences

Why I am considering to return the K-7 and buy a D300s:

- Better video with Auto Focus (AF) while filming
- Double memory card (1 for video, 1 for pictures)
- Advanced set of features and customization
- Brand (easy access to third party accessories and books online)
- Availability of lenses and parts at the local stores (try and test them)
- Rugged construction (similar to the K-7)
- Wider selection of lenses (prime, zoom and macro)
- Bigger community of forums and discussion boards

I am not super concerned about the cost, this is a long term investment, so in the long term it will not really matter.
What about overall IQ. At the end of the day, this is what you take with you.

If you don't already have a myriad of Pentax glass, go for the Nikon, it's probably a superior body anyway.

Jason
10-19-2009, 05:55 AM   #15

Original Poster
Thanks Jason, I do not have Glass at all, neither Pentax or Nikon, I am just starting this new DSLR adventure, so I do not have any entry barrier from the Lenses point of view.

Please excuse my ignorance, what do you mean by IQ ?, and how the K-7/D300s are better or worse in that respect ?, thanks again