Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-18-2009, 07:47 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Camera Operating temperature?

A friend of mine is looking into buying a camera, but since she is from the middle east, she is asking me whether the camera will operate there. I was actually surprised to see my k200D semi weather protected will only work between 0 to 40degree Celcius! Do they produce different types of camera for people in the east, and people living up north? >_<
Anyone with experience?

10-18-2009, 08:43 PM   #2
Pentaxian

I think they only test it to that cold. I'm sure it won't break if it gets colder.
Since they are battery dependent, that is going to be a major controlling factor.
10-18-2009, 08:46 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-7 is rated to go to -10 degrees C, I'm sure you can operate other just as cold, but its not guaranteed - with similar batteries.

As for heat, that's why I'm getting a white k-x - just in case it I am out all day in the sun.
10-19-2009, 06:11 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If it was me,I would wait until the cooler of the day to use the camera,or if you need to use it around the hottest part of the day,keep it out of the direct sunlight,use an umbrella over you for protection and maybe leave it in your camera bag and only take it out in short sequences,take a few shots then put back in your bag.Try not to keep the camera out in the hot temperatures for too long.It gets pretty hot down here in Australia.So I know what it would be like on those hot days.

Last edited by Barnster; 10-19-2009 at 06:22 PM.
10-19-2009, 09:44 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I'm from Siberia (Novosibirsk, Russia).
All of cameras work fine at -20C. Some photographers even take shots at -30C or even -40 - -50C (but this is very rare).

I've been operating mine *istDs, K100D, K10D at -20C with no problems. (Only diaphragm mechanism may be slow and result in overexposed pictures (so don't use closed apertures).
10-21-2009, 07:36 AM   #6

Photos: Gallery
I use my DSLR on the Alps in winter at -15C continuously with no major problem for winter sports, but I am using Eneloops batteries.
As soon as I stop shooting, I put in my rucksack with a woollen cover (not very useful; I understand..)