Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-30-2007, 08:41 AM   #1

What about the K10D 9 AF "cross-type" sensors

This thread over at dpreview about the 1D3 19 cross-type sensors peaked my interest in the K10D and its 9 cross-type sensors. I had a 20D before the K10D so that is also why I wanted to ask.

Mark III doesn't have cross-type sensor @ 5.6 (20D does !): Canon EOS-1D/1Ds/5D Forum: Digital Photography Review

This is from the dpreview K10D preview...
The K10D's sophisticated SAFOX VIII autofocus system features 11 sensor points (with nine cross-type sensors positioned in the middle) to automatically focus on the subject with utmost precision, even when it is positioned off centre. The in-focus sensor point is automatically super-imposed in red in the viewfinder for at-a-glance confirmation.

I looked in the K10D manual but didn't find anything where it states what f-stop the cross type sensors work. And are all 9 cross-type sensors the same or is the center one the most sensitive with the others less? I am assuming they are f/2.8 but could be wrong. I normally keep my focus point on the center one anyways but occasionally switch them to the others.

~Also, has anyone else noticed the threads over on dpreview about the 1D3 having problems already? It was delayed shipment due to some kind of issue. And there are people already reporting problems with banding, shutter problems, dust, etc... Point being, it happens to the best of them (camera manufacturers), not just Pentax

05-30-2007, 09:22 AM   #2
Veteran Member

The banding is quite bad on some of the images shown, but a lot of canonites proclaim that it is the program used to convert the RAW image that creates the banding. I think people need to stop pixel peeping because nothing will be perfect and a lot of the perfect images you do see are just taken with the right light, the correct exposure and masterful PP. The 5D ad banding issues as well with a LOT of certain lenses so I'm guessing this might be the same problem as with the Mark III.
05-30-2007, 10:51 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I cant stomach their forums to even try and read what they are taling about.
05-30-2007, 08:31 PM   #4
Veteran Member

nice, seems like all the users there all complain about banding, and other sort of technical issues. makes me wonder how many actually know the concept of photography......

jeez....nothings perfect...

in any case...strays away from subject..so to answer the OP

i have not read anything about the sensonrs and what f-stop it works on etc, etc

05-31-2007, 07:42 AM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by WildSioux Quote
Point being, it happens to the best of them (camera manufacturers), not just Pentax
Almost sounds like a CaNikophile speaking. Many around here think Pentax IS among the best...
05-31-2007, 01:36 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Classvino Quote
Almost sounds like a CaNikophile speaking. Many around here think Pentax IS among the best...
No, I am not a CaNikophile. If you would have read my post you would have seen I used to have a 20D before getting the Pentax K10D. And to be honest, I am completely happy in making the switch to Pentax. What makes you think that Canon or Nikon are exempt from problems with their cameras?

Edit: Oh if you only knew the problem I had with my 20D...

I just wish Pentax would release the DA * lenses. I need that 60-250 YESTERDAY...*yawn*

Still nothing on the K10D cross type sensors. Pentax did a poor job in documenting how they work and with what aperture range.

Last edited by WildSioux; 05-31-2007 at 01:52 PM.
06-01-2007, 11:52 AM   #7

Sorry - No offense intended, and I did read your post - it was simply a bad attempt at humour...