Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-30-2007, 09:15 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K100D fence sitters? Time to jump off?

This is for those of you (us) in the Los Angeles area who have been mulling over the acquisition of a K100D. Now is the time to get off the fence and get one. I was sitting down in the cafeteria this morning eating my breakfast and flipping through today's edition of the Los Angeles Times newspaper. BelAir Camera has a full-page advertisement announcing a Tax Free, 50th Anniversary Sale.

Top center, they show the Pentax K100D for a price of $599. You not only get the body, but also the DA18-55 kit lens AND the DA50-200 zoom! Wait! It doesn't stop there. You also get a Delkin 1Gb SD memory card, and best of all, NO SALES TAX! That alone saves you 8.75%.

Oops...just read the small print. Very, very small. It says that you have to pay $749 and get a $150 rebate from Pentax. Maybe not so bad. I've gotten a couple rebates from Pentax for some lenses. At least you get the rebate, eventually. Still, 600 bucks for the body, kit lens, and 50-200 is pretty good. Figure the telezoom is 200 by itself and the kit lens around a hundred. That means the body is only 300.

(Note to self...don't purchase Pentax products the day they become available...wait six months before purchasing. Repeat until burned into brain cells. Be sure to remember when DA* lenses become available.)

BelAirCamera.com
(310)208-5150

10925 Kinross Avenue
Westwood, CA
M-F 9-7
Sa 9:30-6
Su 12-5

sale runs through Sunday

- - - - -

Just wanted to let people know a local source, if they are considering the purchase of a K100D. They list the K10D body for $849 ($899 - $50 rebate, no sales tax either)

Me? I got a K100D already. A K10D too.

05-30-2007, 09:22 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
FA 24-90/3.5-4.5 availability

Another source I ran across last night. Took my mom home from the hospital and stopped by the local Fry's Electronics (in Oxnard).

They have a few *istD bodies for $550 (I think that is what it is, might have been $450, I'm not sure.).

They also have two FA50/1.4 lenses, but you can get them for less at B&H which currently has stock.

They also have two FA 24-90/3.5-4.5 AL [IF] lenses. But, they want way too much for them, $550 each. I think I might go back and offer them $400, and see if they will let it go for that. They have had the D bodies "forever" and might be willing to discount the lenses just to get rid of them. They also have a grip for the D (didn't check the price) and two 360 flashes.
05-30-2007, 10:23 AM   #3
Inactive Account

What about this: Beach Camera

They seem to be ok: Reseller Ratings

I found this place when I was trying to get my dad to buy a k100d. I haven't ordered from them though, so no first hand experience.
05-31-2007, 12:49 AM   #4
jro

I just ordered a K100D w/ lens kit and the 50-200 lens from Beach. I went with them over the same prices at buydig (which is supposedly a Beach subsidiary) because they're in NJ rather than NY, which is closer. I paid $479 + $239, and given the $150 rebate, that makes $568 with free ground shipping. I ordered Monday night and got it delivered Wednesday (from NJ to PA). I'd say that makes for a pretty good experience. $599 AR still sounds like a pretty good deal for instant delivery into the palm of your hand, though. Beach says they'll sell you their stuff in person for the same price as online, but you'd probably have a hard time beating the sales tax.

05-31-2007, 07:32 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

For those who think they might want to head to Bel Air for their no sales tax offer - they are also having manufacturer reps in the store between today through Saturday. I think Nikon was the only one there today, but think they'll have more tomorrow and definitely Saturday (in December they had all kinds of companies represented on Friday, the day I bought my K10).

Now if they'll just call to tell me that the DS focusing screen came in, I'd have a great excuse to be late getting back from lunch tomorrow.
06-01-2007, 02:33 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

As a P.S. - the Pentax rep is at BelAir today and tomorrow, but not Sunday if you happen to be in the L.A. area. Very interesting conversation.
06-02-2007, 06:45 PM   #7
Veteran Member

24-90

QuoteOriginally posted by volosong Quote

They also have two FA 24-90/3.5-4.5 AL [IF] lenses. But, they want way too much for them, $550 each. I think I might go back and offer them $400, and see if they will let it go for that.
Whenever I have not bought something because it was just a bit too expensive I have regretted it. Those 24-90s are not easy to find now, new or used. It's a great lens with an almost ideal walkaround range. (A bit wider would be nice, but it covers most situations.) I got one at Keh a few years ago for around 400, so far as I remember. But if I hadn't I would still be tempted at the higher price. Three months on, you've forgotten what you paid.

Call me irresponsible ...

Tim