Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-20-2009, 06:51 AM   #1

Help with K20d

Hi all,
I am new to the forums. I just bought a Pentax K20D, after using a K100super for about a year, and I must say there are so many different features that I'm having a bit of a rough go at figuring this camera out! One of my main issues is that there seems to be SEVERAL buttons/switches for setting focus. I have read my manual and tried to make sense of all of it, but to be honest, I'm still pretty confused.
I mainly take portraits, especially of children, so focus is so important.

Could anyone help me out with the best way to set my camera for the best focusing results? I used to do EVERYTHING in manual on my k100d, but would like to figure out auto focus, b/c it's much easier when photographing fast moving children. Thank you to all who read and comment on this. I look forward to being a member on this forum. Thanks everyone.

10-20-2009, 07:33 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
i guess you have an autofocus lens.
set the mode dial to P mode (my favorite)
set the camera to desired ISO, by holding the ok button and using the front e-dial.
set the metering to center-weighted (the metering lever is below the mode dial).
set the camera to AF-S or AF-C (if moving subjects) this is on the front right side of the camera.

i think you should be set.
Attached Images

10-20-2009, 07:41 AM   #3
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

OK first welcome to the forums.

There are a few controls relating to the K20D. I'm at work so this will be from memory. But I have a couple of these and use them regularly. First hit the FN button and find the shooting setting (use the "up" arrow). There are a number of choices but the first one is what you need. Single shot. This isn't really a focus setting directly but a shooting setting. One shot at a time.

Close that out and then on the right side of the lens mount (facing the camera) is a switch for AF s, AF C and M. You want AF s most of the time. It will have the camera lock focus on a relatively stationary subject and hold that focus point. C is to track a moving subject and is not suited for slower or studio work. M is manual of course.

Next is the dial on the back above the Fn button. It will give you three choices. Spot center focus point (on the right). The middle setting is SEL to select the focus point and the left setting is Multi focus point. Most of the time, you will use the right setting (spot center) you'll use this to lock focus on the eyes or other important feature and then take the shot.

Finally is the AF button. You have 3 choices. You can have the shutter be the focus lock button with half a press. You can have the shutter set this way and the AF button do the same thing where pushing it will allow you to lock focus without touching the shutter button and finally you can have AF button and disable the shutter for focus. This setting choice is in the menu These are items 13 and 14 in the custom menu.

That's basically it.
I have mine set to enable the AF button on the rear as well as the half press on the shutter. I have the SEL dial turned to the right for single center spot focus and the AF switch is set to AF-S.

Last edited by Peter Zack; 10-20-2009 at 07:50 AM.
10-20-2009, 09:42 AM   #4
Site Supporter

I found this online 'book' to be worth the 5.00 cost.
k10dbook home