Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-21-2009, 02:41 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
If you find RAW more time-consuming the JPEG, you aren't using the right software for your RAW files. Modern programs virtually eliminate all differences.
I use camera raw from CS3.

I think lightroom is faster but I control more on camera raw from Cs3.

My point is that I want jpeg ot of camera right after shooting do pass to friends, family etc. Faster is impossible with raw
That's why I want better kpeg engine on k-7

10-21-2009, 03:06 PM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by netuser Quote
I use camera raw from CS3.

I think lightroom is faster but I control more on camera raw from Cs3.

My point is that I want jpeg ot of camera right after shooting do pass to friends, family etc. Faster is impossible with raw
That's why I want better kpeg engine on k-7
Do family and friends peep at pixels, or look at whole images? If your family and friends are like most, they're not going to care about (or even notice) film-like noise viewed at 1:1 on screen. They're going to care about the overall picture, for which the K-7's in-camera JPEGs are more than sufficient (as are the JPEGs from most current DSLRs).

Yes, you can do a little more with CS3, but I highly recommend basing your workflow around Lightroom and only switching to CS3 when you actually need it. Lightroom is designed for a photographer's workflow, and is likely to significantly improve your processing speed.
10-21-2009, 04:19 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for helping convincing me you guys. I guess I shouldn't be all that mad after all, Pentax with their new K-x will certainly drag more userbase to this excellent brand. The K-7 after all is a lot of bang for their buck. I even went to National Camera Exchange today to find an a700 to try out and to only to try out the K-7 once more and I have decided to get it over the K-x. The high ISO on the K-7 may not be as good as the K-x but it doesn't mean it can't take great photos.
10-21-2009, 05:40 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bymy141 Quote
Bert-

Thank you. She's going to be thrilled. I finally got her and her husband off the point and shoot for pictures of my niece. She just loved the colors. Heck I'm kind of tempted myself.

Thanks again!!!!

10-21-2009, 08:02 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by netuser Quote
True, but how long does it take to batch generate some JPEG's - a couple seconds of your time, a few of minutes of your computer's for as many images as any would be likely to want to receive at once.
10-21-2009, 08:50 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
True, but how long does it take to batch generate some JPEG's - a couple seconds of your time, a few of minutes of your computer's for as many images as any would be likely to want to receive at once.
2nd that....I import my Favourite settings , which work for 90% of my shots, select the photos to batch process, press the button....go grab a cup of of coffee, and the PC is done by the time I come back.
10-21-2009, 09:42 PM   #37

a little off topic, what are you guys using for RAW conversion? I'm very new to this and would really like something that is easy to use =D

10-21-2009, 09:48 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Daemos Quote
a little off topic, what are you guys using for RAW conversion? I'm very new to this and would really like something that is easy to use =D
Pretty hard to say because it's not really easy since the point of shooting in raw is to be able to adjust and fix your images afterward. It may take awhile depending on the persons knowledge with the post processing software and knowledge for shooting at the right exposure to have less to fix. I would say the easiest way to learn this is to start off with Photoshopping and shooting in raw now, I am using CS4 at the moment for my pp'ing, I started off with LR2 and PS Elements 7.

If you just want to convert your raw into jpegs for now, there are plenty of free softwares out there that will do it but I forgot the names now, I think Gimp is one of them.
10-21-2009, 09:58 PM   #39
Veteran Member

I highly recommend Lightroom, personally.
10-21-2009, 10:07 PM   #40
Veteran Member

RAW is like a film negative. an unprocessed image full of detail. people shoot RAW inorder to preserve all the details of the image and make some corrections and adjustments to further enhance the image and look it's best. after your done doing the adjustment, you can then convert your RAW image to jpeg. shooting in RAW also gives you the benefits of retrieving or salvaging images that are considered or deemed as no longer salvageable in jpegs.

a ready made jpeg image off the camera is used for people who don't have time to do post-processing RAW images on the computer. and are just contented on a ready made photo. it's useful for the ordinary and non-hypercritical image pixel-peeping shooter.

in simpler photographic terms,

Image Quality

RAW = 10
JPEG = 7.5
10-21-2009, 10:28 PM   #41
Forum Member

Lightroom... Lightroom... Lightroom.

And oh, they've just released Beta 3:
Adobe Labs - Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 3

I've have tried and used a LOT of other RAW converters out there (like the bundled Silkypix, Rawtherapee, etc.). Primarily because my old laptop cannot run Lightroom properly.

When I finaly got a decent desktop and used Lightroom my workfow and file archiving has been optimized by a lot.
10-21-2009, 10:28 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by knoxploration Quote
Nonsense. As has been confirmed elsewhere, the K-7's noise performance is among the better DSLRs in its class.
Check your facts, the k7 is inferior to the k20d in raw noise performance. They are = to 800iso and from then on the k20d is less noisy. There is a graph floating around here somewhere showing this.... Ill try to dig it up.

Anyway thats the price you pay for the ability to get video out of the k7 sensor.

Both the k7 and kx are great camera's but the camera everyone wants is a k8 with a new sony sensor and everything else from the k7 :P

Last edited by WerTicus; 10-21-2009 at 10:34 PM.
10-21-2009, 11:00 PM   #43

Well I currently try to post process all the jpeg files. I currently use photoshop because it has lots of 'auto features' and filters for noise and sharpness that do things automatically.

I looked at silkypix (bundled with the camera) but there doesn't seem to be too much automation, and there needs to be lots of tweaking done. Same with Lightroom. Just seems a little complicated, and intimidating esp to a guy who just pickd up photography as a hobby less than a week ago! I guess I need to learn how to use all the settings effectively. I haven't even used masks in PS yet.
10-21-2009, 11:09 PM   #44
Inactive Account

let's wait next firmware of K-7. they can do something for K-7 users. ^^
10-21-2009, 11:10 PM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WerTicus Quote
Check your facts, the k7 is inferior to the k20d in raw noise performance. They are = to 800iso and from then on the k20d is less noisy. There is a graph floating around here somewhere showing this.... Ill try to dig it up.

Anyway thats the price you pay for the ability to get video out of the k7 sensor.

Both the k7 and kx are great camera's but the camera everyone wants is a k8 with a new sony sensor and everything else from the k7 :P
My facts are fine thanks. ;-)

I said "among the better cameras in its class". Not "the best in its class". The K20D was among the better cameras in its class too, and possibly a little better (not a lot, mind you) than the K-7 for that one metric. The K-7 is ahead in enough other areas that I'm happy to overlook a slight reduction in pixel-peeping noise performance, though.

And I don't think you speak for everybody. You certainly don't speak for me - I don't think I'd necessarily choose that Sony sensor until I see rather more detail on its performance than what's currently available.