Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-20-2009, 02:19 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Those who own the K-7 already, K-x thoughts?

Those of you guys who own the K-7 - What are your thoughts about the recently released K-x now since it has a significantly improved sensor over a more advanced and twice the MSRP price, the K-7 that came out the same year. They could of easily popped in upgraded AF indicators in the VF, increase software features, added HDMI output and external mic output on the K-x for a bit more, but probably didn't in order to save the K-7 from being trumpled. I have a feeling that the K-7 will reach the 849 price point in a few months after everybody who buys the K-7 because of the rebate does it.

10-20-2009, 02:34 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
Those of you guys who own the K-7 - What are your thoughts about the recently released K-x now since it has a significantly improved sensor over a more advanced and twice the MSRP price, the K-7 that came out the same year. They could of easily popped in upgraded AF indicators in the VF, increase software features, added HDMI output and external mic output on the K-x for a bit more, but probably didn't in order to save the K-7 from being trumpled. I have a feeling that the K-7 will reach the 849 price point in a few months after everybody who buys the K-7 because of the rebate does it.
I feel somewhat cheated, nevertheless, the K-x fails a number of features I think I do need.
- Weather sealing
- Visible focus points
- LiIon battery
- Grip
- 2 dials and all the modes
- per lens AF adjust

Now give me the K-x high ISO performance in a K-8 and I'll upgrade tomorrow.

Pentax, I'm truely disappointed here, for the price we pay noise levels should be better controlled.
*** The K-x must have been in sight while the K-7 was in development, a better sensor should have been considered, or the price difference should have been less ***

- Bert

Last edited by bymy141; 10-21-2009 at 12:16 AM.
10-20-2009, 02:46 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bymy141 Quote

Pentax, I'm truely disappointed here, for the price we pay noise levels should be better controlled.
- Bert
I second that
10-20-2009, 02:57 PM   #4
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by netuser Quote
I second that
I third that - it's extremily disappointing. I'm hoping this is corrected in a firmware update with better software. I actually feel very cheated as a consumer, which isn't really the sort of attitude you want to inspire in a new dslr purchaser prepared to invest in the top model.

I know it's a jpeg not RAW problem, and I know the detail vs. noise argument. But I don't think it's such an extraordinary or outrageous ask.

10-20-2009, 03:03 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Honestly, I'm thrilled that Pentax was able to put together such a great package at such a price in the K-x. I hope it will sell in large numbers.

It looks like it will have better high-ISO IQ, and possibly better DR at low-ISO, than the K-7, but I don't feel cheated and I'm not "jealous" either. As I have written on DPR, there's more to a camera than high-ISO image quality.

The K-7 remains a much better overall proposition, IMHO. Better build quality and weather-resistance, better viewfinder, better metering, better AF, better AWB, two e-dials, top LCD, faster continuous shooting...

I wouldn't mind even better high-ISO in the K-7, but it is perfectly fine for what I do.
10-20-2009, 03:08 PM   #6
Pentaxian

In all ways apart from sensor noise, the K7 is better. For me, the quiet shutter, the good viewfinder relative to the K200d and the good build quality and lighter than expected feel in my hands, I am happy.

I tried the KX on the weekend before buying the K7, and for all the reasons mentioned above, and also because the copy I had in my hands creaked, I am happy with my decision. However I am going back to the dealer in the next couple of days to get a price match and to take advantage of the rebate.

Don't get me wrong, I am still playing around with settings to try and lower noise (in Jpeg, since that was one of the reasons for me buying the K7), and I am still uncertain about having a Li-ion battery, but for me, I am very happy.

ps. A firmware update would be useful. I question whether Hoya is going to keep providing updates though. Maybe someone can email and ask Pentax?
10-20-2009, 03:14 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nass Quote
I third that - it's extremily disappointing. I'm hoping this is corrected in a firmware update with better software. I actually feel very cheated as a consumer, which isn't really the sort of attitude you want to inspire in a new dslr purchaser prepared to invest in the top model.

I know it's a jpeg not RAW problem, and I know the detail vs. noise argument. But I don't think it's such an extraordinary or outrageous ask.
I shoot raw+ and I was hoping for better jpeg since I only go for raw if needed and with k7 seems a lot is needed
It's very time consuming

I'm still waiting for a firmware to correct the jpegs.......
10-20-2009, 04:05 PM   #8

Well I'll give them this...

I think Pentax glass may just a better investment for the future vs. Canikon.

Pentax doesn't have anything to compete with the top models of Canikon, but once you dip below 2K, Pentax IMO is storming over the Canikon budget models.

A k-7 successor or full frame camera than can take the FA limiteds with the SR built in the body =

10-20-2009, 07:08 PM   #9
Veteran Member

A similar situation occured some 3 years ago. The entry level K100D had far better High-ISO performance than the higher-priced K10D. A lot of users loved the noisy (at High-ISO) K10D for its excellent performance in other areas.

The K-7 is a joy to use in all so many ways, and there's nothing wrong with its High-ISO performance in RAW.
I regularly shoot at ISO3200 with the K-7, I haven't found it crippled at all.
10-20-2009, 07:26 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If anyone would like to trade their K-7 for my K-x, send me a PM
10-20-2009, 09:42 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RBellavance Quote
Honestly, I'm thrilled that Pentax was able to put together such a great package at such a price in the K-x. I hope it will sell in large numbers.

It looks like it will have better high-ISO IQ, and possibly better DR at low-ISO, than the K-7, but I don't feel cheated and I'm not "jealous" either. As I have written on DPR, there's more to a camera than high-ISO image quality.

The K-7 remains a much better overall proposition, IMHO. Better build quality and weather-resistance, better viewfinder, better metering, better AF, better AWB, two e-dials, top LCD, faster continuous shooting...

I wouldn't mind even better high-ISO in the K-7, but it is perfectly fine for what I do.
Well said! Its great to see Pentax come out with such a promising product. As an amateur, i'm delighted to have such a capable camera as the K20.

Ironically this month, i found out that i have a professional photographer neighbor, who still uses a Pentax Spotmatic film camera to take some marvelous images. If only i were as capable as he. He explained in a talk to my camera club, that he still uses the Spotmatic because he is familiar with it. He has a contract with some hospital to decorate their public areas, while i labor to sell a framed photo or 2 at a local tourist shop.
10-20-2009, 10:13 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Hi,
I am looking to upgrade from K100D to another Pentax, next year. I had zeroed on K-7 but now looking seriously at K-x. K-x offers too much for just being an entry lever dslr. On the other hand K-7 is super dslr with Marvelous features. Weathersealing of K-7 tempts me. I am hoping my next cam would not be an entry-level but an enthusiast model. If anybody owns both can compare the images in RAW and jpeg formats so that we can compare the noise levels? And also with various NR levels applied in K-7 jpegs? I think K-7 with moderate or strong NR in-camera jpeg could match K-x.

Atindra
10-21-2009, 12:35 AM   #13
Veteran Member

the features that you've mentioned are not enough to even trumple the K-7. the only area that the k-x trump the K-7 is in the High ISO noise handling performance. I wouldn't say that the k-x IQ detail is better since the initial photo results show that the images are quite soft even when used with LTD lenses.

for someone who doesn't own a K20D and a K-7, the k-x is a very tempting camera, if you're not too concerned about weather-sealing and OVF.
10-21-2009, 12:47 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Eruditass Quote
If anyone would like to trade their K-7 for my K-x, send me a PM
a trade would cost ya an additional 2 LTD lenses. a DA40 and a DA 70.
10-21-2009, 12:48 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
pentax really does not have their shit together in terms of tiering and pricing.

wtf were they thinking?

maybe it was a paper work error that had the sensors in these two cameras switched!

I suspect a k8 is <6 months away.

This is going to cost them sales, because anyone sitting on a k20d or k10d at the moment would be crazy to upgrade now. The k7 is out of date and the kx isnt professional enough.