Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-20-2009, 11:15 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-x: PictBridge printing broken?

To the lucky K-x owners out there, has anyone tried to use PictBridge printing yet? I can print to my Pogo printer just fine with my K2000, but the K-x just goes blank. The K-x works fine with the same USB cable in Mass Storage mode on my computer. But when I switch it to PTP (pictbridge mode), it can't print. When it connects to the printer, the screen just goes blank. Please tell me I don't have a bad K-x!

10-20-2009, 11:28 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Sorry to maybe ask the obvious but, are you printing jpeg or raw?
10-20-2009, 11:29 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
Sorry to maybe ask the obvious but, are you printing jpeg or raw?
Neither. It won't even let me get to the point where I can see what images are on the SD card to print. :-( Using the exact same cable, I printed a picture fine from my K2000.
10-21-2009, 08:11 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Not pictbridge compatible?

I just got off a livechat with Pentax. They say the K-x is not PictBridge compatible. WTF? There is a PTP option on the menu, and PTP is the transport protocol of PictBridge. So what the heck good is PTP if it's not going to fully support PictBridge?

10-21-2009, 12:10 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Doesn't ptp have to do with USB protocol for transfers as well? to be honest this is the first time I have ever heard Pictbridge discussed in a camera forum, ever. Pentax having chosen not to support this feature isn't surprising as there are a plethora of other options to get images printed these days. I think most people leave the camera USB cable in the box in favor of SD readers for speed and also saving on battery use in-camera.

An honest question, how fast does pictbridge compare to plugging in and SD card to a reader and printing direct?
10-21-2009, 01:10 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
Doesn't ptp have to do with USB protocol for transfers as well? to be honest this is the first time I have ever heard Pictbridge discussed in a camera forum, ever. Pentax having chosen not to support this feature isn't surprising as there are a plethora of other options to get images printed these days. I think most people leave the camera USB cable in the box in favor of SD readers for speed and also saving on battery use in-camera.

An honest question, how fast does pictbridge compare to plugging in and SD card to a reader and printing direct?
It's not a matter of speed for me. My Polaroid Pogo will only do PictBridge printing. It does not have a flash card slot. The weird thing is that the K2000 has this feature, yet they didn't include it in the K-x. Pictbridge printing to a portable printer is very handy when you're on vacation and away from your computer.
10-21-2009, 04:00 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Ok now I am mad...that is cool and cheap and I think I want one, thanks alot!

On another note, this is about the only thing I can think of that pictbridge is good for, and now I am also sorry it isn't in the Kx!
10-21-2009, 04:10 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Hmm. I've never used PictBridge in my life, even though all my recent camera's have supported it, inc the K200D. But that use of it with a portable printer like the Pogo sounds quite handy.

Are there any intermediate gadgets around that will let you do SD card > gadget > Pictbridge printer?

Another solution may be to get a tiny netbook, then go SD card > netbook > printer?

10-21-2009, 04:31 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Now that I looked that up, can you give a mini review? It looks pretty neat, and cheap enough to give it a go if you think it is worth it (ebay has a refurb for $35 shipped w/20 sheets of paper). I think my wife would like it too, she is into card making and uses photos sometimes as well.

How long do the batteries last? Are all the papers the same (read about them being adhesive with a peelable backing)?
10-21-2009, 05:23 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by devorama Quote
I just got off a livechat with Pentax. They say the K-x is not PictBridge compatible. WTF? There is a PTP option on the menu, and PTP is the transport protocol of PictBridge. So what the heck good is PTP if it's not going to fully support PictBridge?
Yup, I must admit I hadn't noticed it before, but you're right. Neither the K-7 nor the K-x list Pictbridge in the specs at PentaxImaging.com, but the K2000/K-m, K200D and K20D all list Pictbridge compatibility.

There's a licensing fee for Pictbridge, so presumably Pentax decided that not enough users were using Pictbridge for it to be worth increasing the camera cost by including. Can't say as I disagree - I've never used it myself beyond for testing purposes, and that seems to be in common with most folks in this thread.

Getting Pictbridge-certified isn't cheap. Looks like getting your first product certified can easily run near $17,000 (~1,500,000 yen) in various licensing and software fees, plus an annual fee of around $1,700 plus $3,400 per product you certify. If you make a change to the hardware or software - even if you haven't started shipping the product yet - you have to pay most of that fee all over again to recertify it. Pentax will have already paid a lot of this in having previous models certified, and hence won't have to pay it again - but when you're trying to make the company profitable, every cent counts (and I'm speculating, but I could easily see these fees adding 5-10 cents or more a camera).
10-21-2009, 10:50 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Hmm. I've never used PictBridge in my life, even though all my recent camera's have supported it, inc the K200D. But that use of it with a portable printer like the Pogo sounds quite handy.

Are there any intermediate gadgets around that will let you do SD card > gadget > Pictbridge printer?

Another solution may be to get a tiny netbook, then go SD card > netbook > printer?
Well the netbook route will only work with bluetooth. You can't hook the Pogo to the usb port of a computer and print to it. You can only do Pictbridge or bluetooth printing.

What I just did to get a picture on my K-x to the printer was to down-res the picture in the K-x, then put the SD card in my Pentax Optio W60. The W60 can do PictBridge. I was able to print the 2MPixel image from the W60. Until I shrank the picture down, the W60 wouldn't let me print it. Not sure if it didn't like the 12MPixel JPEGs or what. This is a bother, but doable, as I was going to bring both cameras on my trip anyhow.
10-21-2009, 10:55 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
Now that I looked that up, can you give a mini review? It looks pretty neat, and cheap enough to give it a go if you think it is worth it (ebay has a refurb for $35 shipped w/20 sheets of paper). I think my wife would like it too, she is into card making and uses photos sometimes as well.

How long do the batteries last? Are all the papers the same (read about them being adhesive with a peelable backing)?
It's a super fun gadget really. It's not so much a photo printer as much as it is a big sticker printer that is really fun to bring to parties. People love getting a picture of themselves having fun that you just took!

The battery only lasts about 10 pictures. Then it's back to the AC charger. You can print on AC power too. I actually bought 2 printers when they were $30 for a day on Amazon so I'd have two batteries! You can only use the Polaroid paper. I don't think the Dell ones are supposed to work with this printer. That being said, you can get them pretty cheap in bulk. Like $0.50 each.

The color of the prints is not very accurate and the resolution is low. But they are really fun at a party. The portable size helps you take it along without much hassle. Did I mention they have a peelable adhesive backing so you can stick them on things? I'm very glad I got them.
10-21-2009, 10:56 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by knoxploration Quote
Yup, I must admit I hadn't noticed it before, but you're right. Neither the K-7 nor the K-x list Pictbridge in the specs at PentaxImaging.com, but the K2000/K-m, K200D and K20D all list Pictbridge compatibility.

There's a licensing fee for Pictbridge, so presumably Pentax decided that not enough users were using Pictbridge for it to be worth increasing the camera cost by including. Can't say as I disagree - I've never used it myself beyond for testing purposes, and that seems to be in common with most folks in this thread.
That makes sense. I read somewhere that the Optio W80 doesn't have PictBridge either, which is a big bummer. I'm glad my Optio W60 does! Maybe none of the cameras will have it in the future.
10-22-2009, 06:06 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by devorama Quote
It's a super fun gadget really. It's not so much a photo printer as much as it is a big sticker printer that is really fun to bring to parties. People love getting a picture of themselves having fun that you just took!

The battery only lasts about 10 pictures. Then it's back to the AC charger. You can print on AC power too. I actually bought 2 printers when they were $30 for a day on Amazon so I'd have two batteries! You can only use the Polaroid paper. I don't think the Dell ones are supposed to work with this printer. That being said, you can get them pretty cheap in bulk. Like $0.50 each.

The color of the prints is not very accurate and the resolution is low. But they are really fun at a party. The portable size helps you take it along without much hassle. Did I mention they have a peelable adhesive backing so you can stick them on things? I'm very glad I got them.
Well, I looked it up some more last night and ended up picking one up! refurb on ebay was $32 after bing cashback and that includes 20 sheets. It sounds like fun, I'm not expecting a whole lot out of it, but being the paper is relatively cheap (and a sticker!) I figured why not. You can find the paper in bulk on ebay for between 0.15-0.20/sheet - or amazon has the 80 pack for $20 which is still just a quarter.

I think my wife will like it as well, she makes cards and occasionally uses some of my photos.

Hopefully if I stick the images from the Kx (when I get it) in my k20 it shouldn't have a problem reading them and sending.

You could always pick up a bluetooth USB dongle on dealextreme for a couple bucks too (takes a couple weeks to arrive, but I have one and it works fine) - edit: specifically, this one -
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.11866

Now then all you'll need is one of those eyefi SD cards - send your pics wirelessly to the computer, then wirelessly to the printer in front of all your friends and you'll be the king of the nerds, haha!

Last edited by pxpaulx; 10-22-2009 at 06:12 AM.