Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-16-2006, 03:47 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
will you switch to SDHC cards?

The new K10D brouchure has a chart that shows 4gb card = 237 raw shots. Will you convert over to SDHC cards for this or other Pentax cameras? I hate that it takes a new card reader. I love my Lexar because it reads all the formats. May be a while before that happens with new card.
thanks
barondla

11-16-2006, 07:12 PM   #2
Veteran Member

No - I don't think I will. I do not like the idea of putting so many images on 1 single card. Personally I'd rather have 4 1GB cards with me. (Got several of those).
11-16-2006, 07:22 PM   #3
Veteran Member

im w/ red hawk...a few 1 giggers.....maybe when im gonna go away for an extended time..where i cant or wont have access to a pc...i might spring for something bigger
11-16-2006, 07:59 PM   #4
Rak

I agree -- redundancy is always the best, because if you lose one you're cutting your losses. Also, if anything happens to a 4gb card, a large amount of pictures are gone.

11-16-2006, 08:06 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
The new K10D brouchure has a chart that shows 4gb card = 237 raw shots. Will you convert over to SDHC cards for this or other Pentax cameras? I hate that it takes a new card reader. I love my Lexar because it reads all the formats. May be a while before that happens with new card.
thanks
barondla
I'm sticking with my EP (Extreme Performance) x155 SD cards- they're faster anyway.

Rak, you'll never lose your photos on an SD, so rest assured. I've only lost my data once, and that was when I dropped a 340Mb (huge at the time) microdrive in 1999.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-16-2006, 08:13 PM   #6
Rak

True, but when I first mentioned "losing" one I meant physically -- if you lose one card, you still have 3 more. Of course, if you only have one card, you'll never lose it anyway because it will stay in the camera.
11-16-2006, 08:16 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Rak Quote
True, but when I first mentioned "losing" one I meant physically -- if you lose one card, you still have 3 more. Of course, if you only have one card, you'll never lose it anyway because it will stay in the camera.
Just leave the first in your camera and the second in your laptop

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-21-2006, 06:46 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I bought 2 2G SD cards...

Hi!

When I picked up the K10D yesterday, I bought 2 2G Sandisk Extreme III cards. The write speed of the K10D seems noticeably faster than the DS. I haven't done any timing on it to prove it, though. I didn't want to worry with a different reader and I'd prefer to have separate smaller cards instead of one big card.

Of course, that preference might change when I take pictures of this year's Christmas show at the rink. At the rate I filled up the 4 1G cards I had last year and had to change them out to the laptop to clear off the shots so I could use them again, if I do the same this year I will probably really regret not getting bigger cards.

11-21-2006, 09:19 PM   #9
Site Supporter

At this point, I think they just cost to much.
I noticed that samsung has just made an 8G card, but the read/ write speeds are around 6mb/sec, less then the min. 10mb/sec required for the k10 to function at its best.
I am going to get which ever size is a good price, but am not going under 1G as I am planning on doing more then a few .raw shots.
I don't think I will get a better deal then this http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?sku_id=0665000FS10064636&cat...gon=&langid=EN
darn it is only one rebate per household..... maybe I will use my dad's address
boy the waiting is driving me

cheers
11-22-2006, 04:14 PM   #10
Forum Member

Transcend 4GB Secure Digital Card, Ultra Speed 150x (read 22.5MB/sec, write 22.5Mb/se

just bought one of these from Misco in the UK (Transcend 4GB Secure Digital Card, Ultra Speed 150x (read 22.5MB/sec, write 22.5Mb/sec - Misco.co.uk. After buying a 'slow' 4 GB Datasafe I had to return it and went for this one instead.

As I shoot a lot of events, I prefer to have all the capacity available without having to change cards. Its not as fast as advertised (from tests on a K100), but does about 1 RAW every two seconds after the buffer is full.

Formated it recently and no problems or worries with the card so far