Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-21-2009, 06:31 AM   #1
Inactive Account

effectively using on board or external flash?

Is this possible? I'm finding that I'm having some frustration in my picture taking right with the fall/winter season upon us. I'm trying to get some decent pictures of my kids inside and with my km I seem to get massive amounts of noise at iso400 so I'm leary to bump it up more. I know that I need more light but even with every light in the house on its difficult. I'm shooting with a sigma 17-70mm 2.8 and with kids I don't want to drop the shutter speed much. Is there a way to use my on board flash or my external flash without having the kids look like they're in a tunnel or with the deer in headlights look?

10-21-2009, 06:52 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Go to Strobist to learn everything you want about flash photography...
Took me two months to read everything, but man that was worth every second of it...

To answer your question more directly : Bounce!!!

- Direct the flash toward a white surface (ceiling, wall, anything!)
- up your iso to a level you're comfortable with (don't go all the way to 100, or you'll kill all the ambient light!)... 400 iso should be good with a properly exposed flash... (and this will have the added benefits of lower battery drain AND faster recycling times!)
- lower your shutter speed as much as you can...
- forget on-board flash (except if you can use it as a commander for wireless flash)