Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: No firmware option
I don't want the option to use screw drive on a dual drive lens. 450.00%
I don't want the option to use screw drive on a dual drive lens. 450.00%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-21-2009, 08:21 AM   #1
Veteran Member

SDM firmware - Vote for the status quo. Let's keep it all the same!

My other SDM firmware poll has taken a lot of hits for not including an option for people to vote that they don't want an option to choose the focus mechanism on dual drive lenses. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/60184-screw-drive-...dm-lenses.html

Well here is the poll to resolve the issue. Only one option, you don't want the option to use screw drive on a dual drive lens to be included in a firmware update.

edit: So you can't do a single option poll.

Thank you
Russell

Last edited by Russell-Evans; 10-21-2009 at 09:12 AM.
10-21-2009, 08:32 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I can't imagine there is someone that would like this status quo.
10-21-2009, 09:14 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by netuser Quote
I can't imagine there is someone that would like this status quo.
No, but I can imagine there's plenty who don't care either way - but who do have something else they care about more.

I'm one such example - the top priority for me would be for Pentax to add tethered remote capability such as was in past cameras.

Sure, this change would be nice too, but it's rather lower priority for me.
10-21-2009, 09:28 AM   #4
and
Veteran Member

this would be good in order to use some teleconverters since pentax wont release a proper one

10-21-2009, 12:17 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by knoxploration Quote
No, but I can imagine there's plenty who don't care either way - but who do have something else they care about more.

I'm one such example - the top priority for me would be for Pentax to add tethered remote capability such as was in past cameras.

Sure, this change would be nice too, but it's rather lower priority for me.
It's all about you buddy, so go ahead and cast your vote. I mean it not like you can get another body to do that, unlike finding a 16-50mm f2.8, 50-135mm f2.8, 60-250mm f4, or a 200mm f2.8, WR and screw drive lenses for Pentax. Gees, what are those people thinking? Those lenses are all over, Sigma Tamron, Tokina, heck even Nikon makes them for Pentax. People, just get another lens for Pete's sake. Whiners.

Thank you
Russell
10-21-2009, 01:09 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Russell-Evans Quote
It's all about you buddy, so go ahead and cast your vote. I mean it not like you can get another body to do that, unlike finding a 16-50mm f2.8, 50-135mm f2.8, 60-250mm f4, or a 200mm f2.8, WR and screw drive lenses for Pentax. Gees, what are those people thinking? Those lenses are all over, Sigma Tamron, Tokina, heck even Nikon makes them for Pentax. People, just get another lens for Pete's sake. Whiners.
Wow, was the attitude really necessary?

It's not all about me, nor did I ever claim it to be. Equally, it's not all about you either. Your comments to me would be just as relevant directed towards yourself, from anybody who doesn't have a current need for the firmware change you're requesting.

My point was simply that the assertion that nobody could possibly not want the change made was false. Everybody is unique, and everybody prioritizes the deficiencies they find in their equipment differently.

For me, without question the highest priority issue is the absence of tethered shooting, which is something I'd use fairly regularly. I've chosen to live without it, because there were other features the camera had which would've been even more painful by their absence.

For you and some others (perhaps many, but I have no way of confirming that in an anonymous forum), the highest priority issue is the one you're describing.

Your tone was completely uncalled for, regardless.
10-21-2009, 01:17 PM   #7
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Take it easy guys.
It'll all be alright when Pentax sorts out their teething issues with SDM and make it stronger, faster and better...

10-21-2009, 05:43 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by knoxploration Quote
Wow, was the attitude really necessary?

Your tone was completely uncalled for, regardless.
Yeah, you're right. My apologies, I was wrong to post it. I've been jousting with this windmill for too long and my reality needs adjusting. Thank you for pointing it out.

Thank you
Russell
10-21-2009, 05:45 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Take it easy guys.
It'll all be alright when Pentax sorts out their teething issues with SDM and make it stronger, faster and better...
Unfortunately I'll still have the old SDM in my bag.

Thank you
Russell
10-21-2009, 06:30 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I don't see why people are against having the OPTION of using screw-drive on SDM lens. It's an option, which means you don't have to use it if you don't have it. What is there to lose?
10-21-2009, 09:53 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Yeah, you're right. My apologies, I was wrong to post it. I've been jousting with this windmill for too long and my reality needs adjusting. Thank you for pointing it out.

Thank you
Russell
Apology accepted, and no hard feelings. I've been through this kind of thing with other (non-camera) products before, and understand how frustrating it can be.

QuoteOriginally posted by systemA Quote
I don't see why people are against having the OPTION of using screw-drive on SDM lens. It's an option, which means you don't have to use it if you don't have it. What is there to lose?
Nobody's against it, I don't think. Some of us just think there are other areas that are of higher priority for a company with limited resources...

If they can do the other things folk are asking for *and* this, well that's super. ;-)
11-09-2009, 04:10 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
From reading the responses in my other poll, I would have thought there would be more people responding to this poll.

Thank you
Russell
11-09-2009, 08:03 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I guess I don't see the point in having SDM in your lens and not using it. Pentax just needs to get it right. I don't think that them giving us the option of using a screw driven lens when we've paid for SDM is any kind of solution. Sorry, but the differences between the 16-45 and 16-50 (besides 300 dollars) are weather sealing, SDM and one stop.

My personal feeling is they need to extend their warranties on SDM issues to three years. That would make people feel safe buying these lenses and engender a lot of good will. It's really the only answer. If Pentax releases a statement that they've looked into it and it's not a problem, no one would believe them. At present they say nothing and everyone believes that there are major issues they are just covering up. Don't say anything, except that you've decided to extend the warranty on these issues and let it go at that.
11-25-2009, 12:44 PM   #14
Forum Member

poll choices

From reading the responses in my other poll, I would have thought there would be more people responding to this poll.

Thank you
Russell
Hi Russ,

Is it just me, or are the 2 poll choices identical.

I would like the option to switch between the 2 modes.

SDM when I am indoors and i need it to be silent and then Screw drive while the 50-135 is in its water-housing, so I can hear the audible whizzing of the motors.

md
11-25-2009, 01:19 PM   #15
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Russell was being facetious here.
Have a look at his other poll for a more serious look at SDM firmware preferences.